Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jebinc’s Plaid Vibration Experiment Results!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the call my Plaid is ready for pickup. They did tell me that there is an 'engineering hold' (may have heard that terminology incorrectly) that says if the car has already had one set of half shaft replacements don't do anything else until the 'engineering case' that is currently open on this issue gets resolved with a permanent fix. My service manager told me that they are handling these engineering cases much faster than before so he hopes they have a permanent fix in the next month or 2 and he said they will reach out to me directly since my car is listed on the case. I'm not surprised this is the outcome at the moment but he made it sound promising they are aware of the issue and it is being worked. Maybe we will see a real solution down the road.

I notice that the half shafts come as an assembly with two CV joints and three shafts per assembly. It would be interesting to see if just replacing the CV joints and keeping the same shafts would temp fix the problem. I don't see that happening as that would require a whole lot more work than just replacing the whole assembly.

I also feel that not all CV joints are created equally, and perhaps a stronger or different design joint might be a future fix for this problem. This is something we will probably never know.

Reactions: jebinc
Well the car is home with the vibration still there, as expected. I'm hoping Tesla engineers come up with a fix quickly. While picking up the car the service manager did make another comment about how the engineering case is moving along faster than he expected compared to how long it took them to address the other vibration issue on the older models.

Side note, Tesla surprised me with an expensive set of the tesla branded WeatherTech floor mats as a 'gesture of good faith' for having my car so long. That was pretty damn cool.

Just got the call my Plaid is ready for pickup. They did tell me that there is an 'engineering hold' (may have heard that terminology incorrectly) that says if the car has already had one set of half shaft replacements don't do anything else until the 'engineering case' that is currently open on this issue gets resolved with a permanent fix. My service manager told me that they are handling these engineering cases much faster than before so he hopes they have a permanent fix in the next month or 2 and he said they will reach out to me directly since my car is listed on the case. I'm not surprised this is the outcome at the moment but he made it sound promising they are aware of the issue and it is being worked. Maybe we will see a real solution down the road.
Funny, I was told something similar today when I dropped off mine and spoke to my favorite SC service manager, Maddy.

Well the car is home with the vibration still there, as expected. I'm hoping Tesla engineers come up with a fix quickly. While picking up the car the service manager did make another comment about how the engineering case is moving along faster than he expected compared to how long it took them to address the other vibration issue on the older models.

Side note, Tesla surprised me with an expensive set of the tesla branded WeatherTech floor mats as a 'gesture of good faith' for having my car so long. That was pretty damn cool.
I received a set of TPMSs for my new SV104s!

Reactions: xEvoLveDx
I'm still not convinced shafts are the problem. I can be going down a hill, and the lightest of acceleration at ~40mph results in vibration. We're talking so light that it's almost gravity helping the car down the hill, and it still vibrates.
Did you try track mode with rear bias? I found the vibration disappeared with it biased to rear.
Replacing my half shafts eliminated the vibration, but I'll acknowledge that it could have been something else that was adjusted during the service.

Calling all shafts, calling all shafts... Please request from Tesla all replaced shafts and send them to me, I will reimburse you for shipping.
Today I sent a lengthy email to Munro Live of the vibration issues and that for some Tesla customers going forward, Tesla will no longer replace the shafts, claiming the vibrations are "normal", which is bullshit..
At this point, as a future S owner, I am contemplating canceling my order. I will again try to contact Tesla HQ to ask what the status is.
I, at 63, do not need the potential crap of troubleshooting for them and paying $100K to do so.,
I hope of a solution by EDD 3/20 to 3/31

Reactions: Phlier
Calling all shafts, calling all shafts... Please request from Tesla all replaced shafts and send them to me, I will reimburse you for shipping.
Today I sent a lengthy email to Munro Live of the vibration issues and that for some Tesla customers going forward, Tesla will no longer replace the shafts, claiming the vibrations are "normal", which is bullshit..
At this point, as a future S owner, I am contemplating canceling my order. I will again try to contact Tesla HQ to ask what the status is.
I, at 63, do not need the potential crap of troubleshooting for them and paying $100K to do so.,
Nice. Did you tell Munro that there are now numerous threads on this here, FB and Reddit? And also send them the DriveTesla article published last month?

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier
I asked, they wouldn't give them to me. They had to go back to Tesla for engineering analysis.

Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
Also, see post Jebinc’s Plaid Vibration Experiment Results!!!

Reactions: Phlier and jebinc