Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi hiroshiy,

I'm playing with your app, EVsmart, exploring my part of the world. I see 3 kinds of plugs for public charging stations in Japan: CHAdeMO, 200V, and 100V. Are there others? I know you got a CHAdeMO adaptor with your Model S, did you also get a cable for 100/200? Or for others?

I agree. I feel something is wrong at Tesla Japan. No navigation, no service plans, no disclosure of CHAdeMO incompatible sites (they're available in the center console only, no way to check it at my desk)... Maybe I should write to him.

Hello Hiroshiy,
If there is a large enough set of problems, this could indicate someone is not taking his job seriously and should be fired. I think in such an important market as Japan it would be better if the higher management in the US heard about these issues as well, if there is no timely and adequate response.

Thanks for informing us on your experience, and please do let us know what response you got from Tesla!

From an investor.

Hi hiroshiy,

I'm playing with your app, EVsmart, exploring my part of the world. I see 3 kinds of plugs for public charging stations in Japan: CHAdeMO, 200V, and 100V. Are there others? I know you got a CHAdeMO adaptor with your Model S, did you also get a cable for 100/200? Or for others?
Hi, Jay,
Thanks for trying my app! There are Tesla Supercharger in two locations other than CHAdeMO, J1772, 200V Panasonic outlet and 100V outlet. No Tesla hasn't shipped the Mobile adapter, nor has any concrete plans to release one in Japanese market.
I plan to add Tesla wall connector to the app as Tesla is launching Destination Charging Program in Japan.

Not sure if they stopped taking applications. I went to the site and checked out the places that take the card. Not so many in Kyushu; that's why I was wondering above about what to do. Do you have a link to info for NCS? I googled both Nihon Charging System and 日本チヤージングシステム, but didn't notice anything. You must have nice inside sources. Thank you for helping us stay informed here.

P.S. In reading back through the past posts, I saw your parking pictures, hiroshiy. You have fantastic parking skills! There's no way I could fit in that tight of a space. I'm wondering if I can park anywhere in big cities with my 21" tires. ;-)

Don't worry about cards. Most of the chargers are built with Hojokin or taxpayer money, so they can't refuse general public without some private subscription cards I believe. NCS will issue the card in a few months for us Teslas and i3s.

NCS åˆåŒä¼šç¤¾æ—¥æœ¬å……電サービス
This is their site. No info as usual.

Re parking model S is too wide so almost all mechanical parkings in Tokyo can't accept it. For example from Roppongi Hills P1 thru P12, we can only park at P2, which is the only regular lay-flat parking.

Good news for Japan! Model S app is finally live in the iTunes store, and works! Now we just need functional Navigation in Japan...
IMG_6295.PNG

Good news for Japan! Model S app is finally live in the iTunes store, and works! Now we just need functional Navigation in Japan...View attachment 63429

Hi JustinSullivan, nice to meet you. Thank you for the information. I've had this app installed for some time on my Galaxy s5.....but, no car yet... hahaha Latest update from my DS is early Jan for car to be in my possession. The wait is killing me!! Can you please share some of stories on owning a model S in Japan? Do you get many questions from people? I'm hoping Japan will get the firmware 6.0 pushed out soon to all Model S owners here.

Yay! I've been checking from time to time for the app. I'm glad we have it now, although my car is not yet linked to it. Will I be able to honk the horn when it gets off the ship? ;-)

That does look like a new SC station near Odaiba! Well spotted! No SC here, so I still have a bit of range anxiety. I got the estimate today for installation of the wall connector: ¥190,000--a bit pricey... I'll try to get a second and third opinion.

Yay! I've been checking from time to time for the app. I'm glad we have it now, although my car is not yet linked to it. Will I be able to honk the horn when it gets off the ship? ;-)

That does look like a new SC station near Odaiba! Well spotted! No SC here, so I still have a bit of range anxiety. I got the estimate today for installation of the wall connector: ¥190,000--a bit pricey... I'll try to get a second and third opinion.

Received my quote for the installation of the HPWC yesterday.....SHOCKED at the pricing for a 200V, 100A new drop to be installed on my house. The cost was quoted at a ridiculous 670,000 yen! To top that off they then quoted me a 230,000 yen for a 100v, 20A..... Well guess I'll be breaking out my old electrician gear and make this is a DYI'er....

Model S is getting some interesting looks from people in Japan! I think a lot of people don't really know was it is though, but are curious.

Re that new SC station, yes, I noticed it too. I parked at NRT a week or two back and it wasn't there before I went away, but when I came home I drove right past it! Did not bother to stop to charge though this since I still had plenty of charge :)

Susteki, ouch that is expensive re the HPWC install :/ For your info, I did mine mostly as a DIY too. I was fortunate to find an old 200V circuit on my power board from something or other, multimeter confirmed it was live and delivering 200V. So I ran the cable myself ($80 or so online for 40 amp/10 metre). It would be nice to have 100A of course, but I decided not to worry for now: most of our normal drives are relatively short, and our long drives usually have plenty of time after (long overnight or even several days) until we want to do a really long drive again.

How much notice did you receive in Japan before the launch day? How long before the first signature cars were asked to arrange for payment?
Thanks - from Australia
Hi, DBorn, I was asked to reserve September 8th on August 15th. I paid the down payment and finished loan contract on Sept 4th.

Hope this helps.

BTW Tesla requested to pay before the vehicle registration, which is very unusual here. Loan companies typically wants the title in their name first (=registration) and then wire transfer the loan amount. Only one loan companies in Japan was able to pay Tesla before registration.

Software release v6.0 became available in Japan yesterday, so we now have the expected tweaks from that (calendar, power management options, location-based air suspension etc)...

But... still no Navigation :(

Also I tried CHAdeMO for the first time yesterday. I couldn't get it to work with Model S, charging ring on the car port would go green for a few seconds and some voltage delivered but it cut out always within a few seconds. I'm not sure if this was a timing issue general with CHAdeMO or just something specific to this location. I had a good conversation afterwards with a guy in a very small Mitsubishi EV who was amazed by Model S and had trouble believing it was a 100% EV :)