Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jack up the fees please!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 212473 so I stop off at Oxnard because I need a charge to continue from LA to Santa Barbara and I see this... every car empty. How many are actually traveling, and how many are just out for a Sunday shop at the mall??? I guess I've read about this plenty, but my first such experience. I'm sure some are legit, but not all. People are jerks.

Hey, maybe there were some killer deals at The Container Store!

I think the book "freakonics" mentioned this in the case of leaving kids overtime at day cares.
Freakonomics.
They also do a great podcast.
Back on topic, I think doubling is a bad idea for two reasons. Firstly, it's at its least punative early on, which is really when you want people to move their car. Secondly, it quickly becomes overly punative, which would lead people to dispute the charges too often.
A better way is to simply 'tune' the per/minute rate until the problem goes away. Let's see how 40c/min goes for a while, still early days and behaviour takes a while to change.

I think more important than the amount is Tesla actually collecting it. The pay at the next service visit is likely just temporary until Tesla sets up to require everyone to have a credit card on file, but in the meantime I think they should contact people who are obvious abusers and require payment before allowing their car to supercharge again. For example the X mentioned in another thread who was seen at a supercharger for more than 24 hours.

Reactions: KJD
Malls are probably a good place to put destination chargers not superchargers. Superchargers should be along major arterial roads with some sort of convenience nearby (cafe, rest rooms).

That's surely true in low population density states/travel corridors but in California I think the population density (especially the Tesla car owner population density) means there is no such thing as a place that is away from shops.

I mean if you put them in an empty parking lot a mile down the road people will still go to the nearest mall.

If you put them next to a restaurant they'll go to the restaurant

If you put them next to anything someone will park and go to that. It's just unavoidable, gotta build more until that isn't an issue (In high Tesla density states).

Reactions: GSP and callmesam
I think the book "freakonics" mentioned this in the case of leaving kids overtime at day cares.
Exactly. That is where I was remembering this point.

In that case a daycare started charging parents when they were late to pick up their kids thinking that that would encourage the parents to pick up their kids on time.

But exactly the opposite result happened. Parents said screw it I'm paying for them to babysit my kid now so I can be as late as I want to pay for.

It appears the primary goal for
If the $.40/minute idle fee isn't enough to get people to quickly disconnect, Tesla will likely change the policy.

Doubling per hour may not be ramping the costs up fast enough to have much impact - they'll need to increase the charge rate faster.

Perhaps something like: $.40/minute for the first 15 minutes (with the charge waived if moved in the first 4 minutes), $1.00/minute for the next 15 minutes, $2.00/minute for the next 15 minutes, and $5.00/minute after that. And if cars are left for more than an hour, supercharger privileges are suspended for 30 days.
What if you become ill from the awful mall food and your spouse has to come get you and while you're barfing your guts out you forget and leave the car there over night? That would be like a $3,000 Chipotle burrito. Plus you didn't even enjoy it cause it almost killed you.

How about supercharger attendants that move the cars. Tesla charges just for the guys time. Say it cost them $15/hr to pay this person 5 stalls that's like $3 per stall per use.

I suspect that free unlimited supercharging means nothing at this point because once the model 3 comes out it's going to be impossible to use so why not make it free. Can't cost Tesla anything if you can't get to a stall to charge.

If I can afford a $100k car I can afford $3 for a guy to move it to a spot when it's done charging.

What if you become ill from the awful mall food and your spouse has to come get you and while you're barfing your guts out you forget and leave the car there over night? That would be like a $3,000 Chipotle burrito. Plus you didn't even enjoy it cause it almost killed you.

How about supercharger attendants that move the cars. Tesla charges just for the guys time. Say it cost them $15/hr to pay this person 5 stalls that's like $3 per stall per use.

What would happen if you ate one of those nasty hot dogs at the gas station and left your car at the pump while having your stomach pumped at the hospital? It would be towed at least out of the way.

How about using autopilot to move around the cars. No attendant, just plug in your car. When done charging the person waiting in line just unplugs your car and it parks itself out of the way. All autopilot would be on private property.

Reactions: P100DHG.
the root problem in THIS mall case is not so much moving cars when done. It is the fact that local drivers who are just out shopping are electing to do a discretionary charge while they shop rather than park in a normal spot.

They deserve the tainted burrito!

What Tesla COULD do, tho it seems pretty big brotherish, is recognize that they just drove 10 miles to the mall, and post a message before allowing charge port to open. Or better yet, play message loud over car audio:

"You just drove 10 miles. You are at the mall, which by the way you have charged at 23 times this year. You have 134 miles of rated range. Do you really want to be a jerk and occupy a supercharger bay while you shop? Or are you headed out of town this time and need the range... though you could have frigging charged at home last night. To open charge port, shout 'Yes, I'm a jerk', otherwise, please pull out."

They DO have the data!

I just had a slightly different idea to help alleviate this problem.

What if each "back-in" type stall had a parking (oops, I mean 'charging') spot on both sides so two cars could back into one stall ('back-to-back' style).

If one car is connected and charging for too long or reaches 90% charge and the owner isn't anywhere to be found, the charging handle automatically unlocks, and there's an orange ring to show other people "hey, this car is now idling, feel free to take the charging cable". Or there's a phone number to call Tesla, get an agent on the phone with the stall number, and they'll unlock the charge port for you and then commence parking fees on the car that's just sitting there.

Yeah, other than requiring tesla to pay/lease/setup two spots for each stall, the rest is software.

Oh, and if you absolutely needed a 100% charge for some reason, there should be a way to 'opt-in' to a range charge, but Tesla would have to make sure that isn't abused.

The time may come when a Tesla Super Charger location has 20 or 30 charging slots. A charging attendant in a booth would start your charging cycle. That should take care of the person running to the SC to fill up every other day. You give your fab to the attendant, he starts the cycle and moves your car in the event your not back by the time your car reached say 90% charge.

We are going to see an EZ pass type of pay as you go system, and the cost of the attendant will be calculated into the cost of charging. Tesla can then claim that they created thousands of more jobs.

the root problem in THIS mall case is not so much moving cars when done. It is the fact that local drivers who are just out shopping are electing to do a discretionary charge while they shop rather than park in a normal spot.

They deserve the tainted burrito!

What Tesla COULD do, tho it seems pretty big brotherish, is recognize that they just drove 10 miles to the mall, and post a message before allowing charge port to open. Or better yet, play message loud over car audio:

"You just drove 10 miles. You are at the mall, which by the way you have charged at 23 times this year. You have 134 miles of rated range. Do you really want to be a jerk and occupy a supercharger bay while you shop? Or are you headed out of town this time and need the range... though you could have frigging charged at home last night. To open charge port, shout 'Yes, I'm a jerk', otherwise, please pull out."

They DO have the data!

I live 1.5 miles from a supercharger and honestly I just ordered my 90D fully intending on charging it while I go to Trader Joes across the street. I bought the car thinking, I'll own it until the wheels fall off and I have free "gas" for the life of the car. However when it's done charging I support the fines for not moving it. Just need to be realistic.

How about using autopilot to move around the cars. No attendant, just plug in your car. When done charging the person waiting in line just unplugs your car and it parks itself out of the way. All autopilot would be on private property.

Lets get autonomous super chargers and use autopilot.

The time may come when a Tesla Super Charger location has 20 or 30 charging slots. A charging attendant in a booth would start your charging cycle. That should take care of the person running to the SC to fill up every other day. You give your fab to the attendant, he starts the cycle and moves your car in the event your not back by the time your car reached say 90% charge.

We are going to see an EZ pass type of pay as you go system, and the cost of the attendant will be calculated into the cost of charging. Tesla can then claim that they created thousands of more jobs.
I love your idea because you agree with me. lol

You know what this sounds like?!? Sounds like we are dealing with the type of people who live in an apartment building with communal laundry and feel fine leaving their clothes in the washing machine down stairs all day soaking wet. You just have to take it out, put it on top of machine soaking wet and do your laundry.

I live 1.5 miles from a supercharger and honestly I just ordered my 90D fully intending on charging it while I go to Trader Joes across the street. I bought the car thinking, I'll own it until the wheels fall off and I have free "gas" for the life of the car. However when it's done charging I support the fines for not moving it. Just need to be realistic.
I just don't get your lack of logic and compassion. Super chargers were intended to support distance charging. I guess Tesla made a mistake putting some near shopping, because there are so many "me only" people out there. What you have just posted confirms this to me: yep, be realistic... people are not nice.

For those suggesting the problem is the SC is located next to a mall, keep in mind tesla's decisions to put one there. More often than not, there is some deal worked out with the owner of the property to put a SC. I know a few cities and places negotiate with tesla and share the cost of the installation, maintenance, or both. So it is highly likely the mall is covering the some of the cost of the SC, whether it is the cost of electricity or installation. Hence why tesla placed it there. At the end of the day, it's no one's fault other than the users themselves. Plain and simple. Placement of SC, free unlimited charging, or something else only encourages people. It never forces them to stay there even after they are fully charged.

Reactions: KJD