Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jack up the fees please!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I normally get a notification/warning when the car is about 10% away from complete. Plenty of time to get back to the car.. that last 10% is sooo slow ;)
App notification is not failsafe. I return too when I get 10minute warning, but recently I have had a couple of cases when I had gotten no notification and only by glancing at the app to see how much time remained, did I know the car had finished charging.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
App notification is not failsafe. I return too when I get 10minute warning, but recently I have had a couple of cases when I had gotten no notification and only by glancing at the app to see how much time remained, did I know the car had finished charging.
Agree. Notifications involve Tesla, your carrier, the specific cell nodes, and Apple. Any of which can fail. However, when you leave your car charging, you can see an estimated time and make a mental note. For goodness sales, when did we get so reliant on our phone to beep and tell us to do something.

Reactions: SageBrush
If you're concerned about missing the "charging almost complete" notification, set a timer on your phone based on the estimated charge time shown in the car before you leave.

It's really not that hard to not be a SC a-hole.

But not if you're second to plug into the shared stack as the charging rate can increase suddenly and a lot causing you to finish far sooner than originally estimated.

If you're first to plug into the stack, then I think this is safe.

My office building got so fed up with self centered fools claiming silly excuses for not respecting other EV drivers and overstaying their free charge times, they finally implemented charging limits and $10 penalties for every fractional 15 minutes of selfishness. No apps, no coddling, no appeals, no nothing. It's automatic and immediately charged. And the ones screaming the loudest? Guess? :rolleyes: It was a great decision.

I have been lobbying in my office that hybrids and 200+ mile range cars (basically only Teslas at this point) should lose the privilege to park or use the EV chargers. They are very close to kicking out the hybrids.

Step 2 will be to institute idle fees, but that is hard to monitor. I am investigating if ChargePoint would help do that automatically.

I
Step 2 will be to institute idle fees, but that is hard to monitor. I am investigating if ChargePoint would help do that automatically.
Probably yes, Blink assisted with our program. We have blink stations and your blink card has to be registered with the building (tenants only) to activate the charger.

We went from a free, self governed benefit, to a free, now limited benefit with harsh penalties due to entitled jerks. The point of pain is right where it belongs.

Probably yes, Blink assisted with our program. We have blink stations and your blink card has to be registered with the building (tenants only) to activate the charger.

We went from a free, self governed benefit, to a free, now limited benefit with harsh penalties due to entitled jerks. The point of pain is right where it belongs.
Oh I love it. The whining that would ensue - I can’t come out in the middle of a meeting - would be funny.

Level two charging seems different than Supercharging. You charge full speed almost until the car is full on Level two, but the supercharger spends 15 minutes recharging the bottom of the battery and an hour charging the top. When I travel I rarely spend more than 20 minutes charging. Perhaps that would be a good compromise for the superchargers. If no one is waiting you can charge to the top. Otherwise, it only charges to 70% which is more than enough for you to get to another Supercharger if you are traveling, or drive for many days if you are local, giving you time to return when there are fewer people waiting.

-Randy

Level two charging seems different than Supercharging. You charge full speed almost until the car is full on Level two, but the supercharger spends 15 minutes recharging the bottom of the battery and an hour charging the top. When I travel I rarely spend more than 20 minutes charging. Perhaps that would be a good compromise for the superchargers. If no one is waiting you can charge to the top. Otherwise, it only charges to 70% which is more than enough for you to get to another Supercharger if you are traveling, or drive for many days if you are local, giving you time to return when there are fewer people waiting.

-Randy

And in fact I am guessing, that as the battery costs come down and the energy density increases, you will get a 100 to 110 kWh battery in a car like Model 3, but capping the 100% usable to 80% of the battery. So charge rate at the top 10% SoC will be just as fast as at the lower Soc. And you get 350 mile range anyway.

This would reduce the time substantially for anyone charging upto 100%, and increase the turn around time and utilization of the SuperChargers.

dont want to read 12 pages but sure looks like some are charging. Like the Grey S in the background
Screenshot_20180922-231746_Samsung Internet.jpg

I have been lobbying in my office that hybrids and 200+ mile range cars (basically only Teslas at this point) should lose the privilege to park or use the EV chargers. They are very close to kicking out the hybrids.
By hybrids, do you mean the plug-in hybrids ?

If so, I'm sorry to hear that they are wearing out their welcome since L2 charging at work is tailor made for them.

• Love
Reactions: dhrivnak and GSP

-Randy
Or perhaps have an expensive per kWh charge after 200 miles of range are in the car. One way or another, the Tesla community will benefit when Superchargers are not used for opportunistic charging.

What is the big deal, your car is done charging go move it!
That is mostly good enough for now but as competition for charging increases we will have to learn to move our cars when we have *enough* charge, which is typically less than a "completed" charge. This is why I don't mind leaving L2 enabled parking for other EVs when I drive my Tesla: I don't need the charge, so I stay away.

People being what they are, there will always be jerks and those who rationalize their behavior. All of us will have to learn to live with fees to curb the anti-social behavior, even if they represent the minority of drivers.