Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've got a P85D test drive scheduled for tomorrow--what should I pay attention to?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update. Drove it today. Yeah, it's fast, but my M5 is almost as fast and makes very cool engine noises. Plus, real world passing is probably faster with the SMG gear changes. Yeah the interior is kind of stark and it's missing seemingly obvious things (no coat hooks? :confused:).

But you know what? I was there when the new software update was pushed out and I understand now what Tesla's doing beyond making big, heavy, quick electric cars. Tesla is making a rolling, smart, updatable computer that also happens to be a very good car. That's a concept that's light years away from what anybody else is doing. My M5 is a big V8 that gets horrible mileage swathed in expensive leather but with a computer that can't keep up with my smartphone. In six months, the Tesla will be driving itself out of my garage and waiting for me by the side door. In six months, my M5 will need another oil change and its technology will be six months older.

I'm in. All in. Deposit placed on a Red P85D. Delivery scheduled for late April. Stay tuned.

Great decision. I'm a big car guy and I still appreciate many ICE cars, but Tesla clearly is the future! You nailed it when you said that in 6 months this car will be driving itself while other cars will need an oil change!

Pretty sure you will find that the MS is in the hole in traffic you were looking at before the M5's ECU can digest the torque demand request, downshift several gears (even with the nifty box), open the butterflies and get the boost (newest cars) needed to heed the call :) The MS is think and there.

The M5 will still spank it when acceleration gets dialed up over 60 mph but then that is the price to be paid for BEV.

Glad to hear you had fun. Don't worry, the interior will grow on you.

My guess only-
One performance update will raise top speed.
A future performance update (or updates if they give it to us in small doses) will allow the roughly 460 KW that is available from 0-30 mph to go to 60 mph. I believe this is how Tesla is seeing 2.8 sec 0-60 mph times internally.

I do not believe Tesla will be allowing 460 KW bursts at higher speeds but I may be wrong (hopefully). Doing so is the only way I can see that they will improve higher speed roll on numbers.

There are lots of ways to "tune" ICE cars. You can change fuel targets, knock margin, base timing, reduce engine protection safeties and the like. There is only one way to tune a Tesla that I can imagine and that is to change the allowable power draw from the battery.

The MS is a big car, bigger than the M5. Check it out when parking. Especially the width. Also consider aftermarket enhancements. I realized I needed a center console. Look into the Evannex products for thought starters there.

No kidding the Tesla is big. It's almost 3 inches longer than my M5 and 4 inches wider even with the mirrors folded. It's going to be tight squeeze lengthwise in my garage but I think it will clear the door if I come all the way up to the wall.

I'm definitely going to get a console. I intend to store a portable SSD filled with music recorded in FLAC format in the car permanently. Since my M5 won't play that format, I'm looking forward to full loss-less audio in my new Tesla.

Any reason you like the Evannex console over the factory unit? I'm getting Piano Black trim so the factory console's current lack of trim options doesn't matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats what options did you get?

Red Mulit-Coat
Pan Roof
Grey Turbine Wheels
Black Gen 2 Seats
Piano Black Trim
Black Alcantara Headliner
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Tech Package
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Subzero Weather Package

Also probably getting the Premium Front Console

I thought long and hard about the Premium Interior Package since I think the P85D interior could use some more elegance but I just can't justify the $3,500 for a little more leather and accent lighting.

Telsla's options are really expensive and I say that as a BMW and Porsche owner.

A future performance update (or updates if they give it to us in small doses) will allow the roughly 460 KW that is available from 0-30 mph to go to 60 mph. I believe this is how Tesla is seeing 2.8 sec 0-60 mph times internally.

Are 460 kW really available below 30? Wouldn't that translate into monstruous wheel torque that no tires could handle? The P85' 360 kW is only available from 45 mph onwards for example, so I would expect the 460 kW, if they are ever available, to be available at higher speed.

I do not believe Tesla will be allowing 460 KW bursts at higher speeds but I may be wrong (hopefully).
Why not? Aren't higher speed where the bursts would actually be most useful? Or do you know of a technical limitation?

Firstly, I "know" nothing :) I am guessing here based on tid bits of information that leak out.

Range batteries typically do not like high discharge rates. Tesla is using roughly 460 KW (if you believe the display) up to about 30 mph. I really need to get my wife's IPhone with its slo mo capability and just film a 0-60 run. Anyway, that 460 KW is roughly a 5.5C discharge rate which is high for an endurance battery but they are only doing this for a second and a half or so. I can see where they would allow that power for 2.8 seconds (a 0-60 pass with 460 KW continuous) to improve 0-60 performance. It would only be a small increase in the amount of time the battery sees 5.5C discharge. I find it harder to see how they would allow 460 KW at higher speeds as it could be needed for longer duration. Again, just a guess. The extra power at low speeds jives with the 2.8 sec 0-60 times seen internally at Tesla and having a 2.8 second sedan would be worth a whole new round of publicity. Better roll on numbers would likely not garner much if any press.

Just guessing here.

Sorry to hijack this thread...

@Law&Disorder:

I just noticed that you are in NYC. Can you tell us a bit about your charging setup and driving needs?

I actually live on Long Island most of the time though I keep an apartment in NYC. I'm going to have an electrician install an NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. In fact, I may have him install two in case my wife ends up trading her Cayenne for the Model X or some other plugin. I take the train into NYC from the house so the MS will only be used for business and personal travel around the Eastern Seaboard when I can get away with not hopping on a plane or taking the Ascela.