Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's time for Tesla to provide MCU2 and HW3 upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a lot of processing power should be required for Sentry mode. MCU1/AP2 vehicles have the same cameras as MCU2 vehicles. The lack of Sentry on MCU1 vehicles could be a software resource decision - Tesla decided not to expend any resources re-implementing Sentry mode on the shrinking % of vehicles with the older MCU1 hardware.

While the MCU1 processor isn't as fast as MCU2, it is likely capable of running most (if not all) of the software currently provided only on MCU2.

Tesla is experiencing the same challenge other companies face when making a processor architectural change in their products - source code compatibility. After MCU2 was introduced, Tesla was basically providing the same features on MCU1 and MCU2 vehicles. In the past year, we're seeing a decreasing investment by Tesla in the older MCU1 software.

But unlike other manufacturers, when the MCU1 vehicles were sold, Tesla was marketing the vehicles would get new features through OTA updates - for the life of the vehicle, and based on their history with software updates for their vehicles since the S was introduced in 2012, they set a higher bar for expectations than what you'd expect from any other vehicle manufacturer (who generally only provide a few bug fix releases and then drop support completely after a year or two).

From a technical standpoint, Tesla should be able to provide more of these features for MCU1 vehicles. However, instead of doing that, it would make better sense for everyone to offer a reasonably priced MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade - and along with the HW2 to HW3 upgrade, bring those vehicles up to the same level as the current models - so that those vehicles would get the same features for the remaining life of those S/X vehicles (which could be 500,000 miles on the original battery packs).

Still waiting to get the "holiday" update on our 2017 S 100D...

From a technical standpoint, Tesla should be able to provide more of these features for MCU1 vehicles. However, instead of doing that, it would make better sense for everyone to offer a reasonably priced MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade - and along with the HW2 to HW3 upgrade, bring those vehicles up to the same level as the current models - so that those vehicles would get the same features for the remaining life of those S/X vehicles (which could be 500,000 miles on the original battery packs).
So if and after they do this, should they make an announcement. “That’s it, from this point on and forward if you buy a Tesla, it comes with whatever it comes with and that’s it” no more upgrades
I guess what I am getting at is when does this stop? If in 2 years they start putting HW4 into newer cars and maybe 5 years down the road those cars start having a feature that HW3 cars can’t do, what then? And on and on. im not taking sides just trying to understand how Tesla gets out of this problem they have created for themselves.

I only paid for EAP NOT the extra for FSD but I would be like most of you pretty pissed at this point if I was still waiting and maybe even at the back of the upgrade line. But I do see this as a multifaceted problem that won’t be easy to undo. The old days of selling a few thousand cars a year and offering all this free stuff like electricity for life, and free internet etc...are over for the most part in a couple years there will be Millions of these things around the world.

Buyers of the original MCU1 AP2.0 cars were promised that their vehicle have all hardware required for FSD and all it took was a software upgrade and validation, which can then be activated for a set fee (whatever it was at that time). Even if you didn’t buy FSD at the time, your car was promised to be capable. That promise factored into the decision to purchase what was a very expensive vehicle. If that promise was false, then it would have negatively impacted the purchase decision and some may not purchased or be willy to pay the price.

Tesla needs to come clean to offer an upgrade path or be prepared to compensate early buyers due to the false promise. Whether they bought the FSD option at the time or not.

Many people bought Tesla's and spent their hard earned money based on what was advertised on the website. People who have FSD on older cars should not have to pay anything more to get their cars up to par. If HW3 or MCU2 is needed, it should be updated at no cost. Simply refunding
the FSD cost as some users have mentioned is unacceptable as many buyers would not have dropped $100k+ on their cars if FSD was never promised.

This is still on the Tesla website as the FSD description:

Full Self-Driving Capability
All new Tesla cars have the hardware needed in the future for full self-driving in almost all circumstances. The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat.

All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go. If you don’t say anything, the car will look at your calendar and take you there as the assumed destination or just home if nothing is on the calendar. Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigate urban streets (even without lane markings), manage complex intersections with traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts, and handle densely packed freeways with cars moving at high speed. When you arrive at your destination, simply step out at the entrance and your car will enter park seek mode, automatically search for a spot and park itself. A tap on your phone summons it back to you.

The future use of these features without supervision is dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As these self-driving capabilities are introduced, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.

I feel the ground swell of resentment increasing exponentially over this issue. I can only hope Elon will address upgradeability to MCU2 directly before there is an outright revolt or mutiny. Not the way to treat your most loyal customers who bought in early to the mission and vision.

I fully agree with you however I have always felt that Musk does not care at all about loyal customers, only perhaps future ones. If he even had the slightest consideration of his customers, there would be some regular communication about the top issues that the customers are facing.

When you purchased your car, were you told that you would get full sentry mode?

Why do you think older cars should get ALL the same capabilities as newer cars?

Your questions here is beside the point.

For those of us who bought a mcu1 ap2.0 car did buy a new car within a limited time frame, which Tesla promised had the same promises as they do now.
But, in addition to this, they also promised that they would update the car with new features when they come out, at least within the warranty period.

And with the purchase, for some of us this means that the car you bought was old/outdated the day/week/month/couple months after you took delivery.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm sure as hell pissed that they changed to MCU2 and premium interior/premium sound system/winter package, for free just weeks after I took delivery of mine.
I paid extra for everything, and to top it of, the sound system is not as good as the car I test drove before deciding on buying the sound system.

They have practically screwed some of their customers, if I had known what I know today I would have waited some weeks with the purchase.
Not only that, but after this, they have screwed me more with giving customers after me more goodies, and to top it off, I paid for EAP and FSD but the people after me get autopilot for free, remember you didn't even got cruise control without EAP, and the guys that get autopilot for free is also getting FSD preview and that is even without buying FSD.
Where are my FSD preview?

So your questions are totally beside the point...

For those of us who bought a mcu1 ap2.0 car did buy a new car within a limited time frame, which Tesla promised had the same promises as they do now.
But, in addition to this, they also promised that they would update the car with new features when they come out, at least within the warranty period.

This word “promise” does not mean what you think it does.

Volkswagen needed to buy back diesel cars as they did not preform as promised.

Tesla would better make the HW2.0 MCU1 work for FSD or they will see themselves in a similar situation.

I even can see a problem for them for people who have not purchased FSD as it was promised that all hardware was there for FSD. If some functionality, not related to FSD, comes available on FSD cars then owners of cars could have a case to get upgraded to FSD hardware too in order to get these functionalities.

• Disagree
Reactions: Kmartyn and am_dmd
This word “promise” does not mean what you think it does.

Maybe not, but "promise" directly translated from Norwegian does mean the same thing as I was told by Tesla salesman when I bought the car and all extras.

Regardless, another wording could be that "Tesla guaranteed it".

Maybe people like to split hair with the words in my previous post, but for me this is the same...

Tesla would better make the HW2.0 MCU1 work for FSD or they will see themselves in a similar situation.

I even can see a problem for them for people who have not purchased FSD as it was promised that all hardware was there for FSD. If some functionality, not related to FSD, comes available on FSD cars then owners of cars could have a case to get upgraded to FSD hardware too in order to get these functionalities.
They said Elon said mass update start on Q1 please be patient.

Reactions: SO16 and Dutchie

And with the purchase, for some of us this means that the car you bought was old/outdated the day/week/month/couple months after you took delivery.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm sure as hell pissed that they changed to MCU2 and premium interior/premium sound system/winter package, for free just weeks after I took delivery of mine.
I paid extra for everything, and to top it of, the sound system is not as good as the car I test drove before deciding on buying the sound system.

They have practically screwed some of their customers, if I had known what I know today I would have waited some weeks with the purchase.
Not only that, but after this, they have screwed me more with giving customers after me more goodies, and to top it off, I paid for EAP and FSD but the people after me get autopilot for free, remember you didn't even got cruise control without EAP, and the guys that get autopilot for free is also getting FSD preview and that is even without buying FSD.
Where are my FSD preview?

So your questions are totally beside the point...

Good grief dude. Better not buy anything...ever. Just rent or lease. And as far as “promised new feature”, nowhere did I see that Tesla states we would get ALL the same features for the next 4 years during the warranty period. That would mean their hardware for cars would have to be stagnant. That is the opposite of how Tesla updates their vehicles for hardware changes. They constantly update hardware.

Prices change all the time for things. The day I received my Tesla, I could have purchased a 100D for the same price. If I waited another few months, I could have received MCU2. And if I waited another year, I could get a performance model with better air suspension, a lot more range for the same price as I paid for mine. If you are that sensitive to price changes and features, you should have just leased. This should be no surprise to you if you looked at the history of Tesla and their vehicles. I actually like the fact that I can buy a new Tesla with more performance for less money each time. Much better than just buying a car that’s more expensive every year for a couple added features.

Yes it would be nice if our vehicles could have FSD preview right now too. But it doesn’t and I’m not going to lay down and die because mine can’t show the preview right now. FSD isn’t even out yet. Now if Tesla never updates my car to FSD well after it’s released, then that’s a different issue. But until that happens, I’m going to enjoy the car that I purchased with the things it can do today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kmartyn

Yup.

But, but, but... I want it now!!!! Waaaaaaahhhhh

I bough FSD on my AP2 car and I should have it first before these others buying new today. WAAAAHHHHh

Even though FSD isn’t out and we don’t know if HW3 is even sufficient for FSD, I want HW 3 now! WAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Good grief, it’s so annoying.

Last edited:
Yup.

But, but, but... I want it now!!!! Waaaaaaahhhhh

I bough FSD on my AP2 car and I should have it first before these others buying new today. WAAAAHHHHh

Good grief, it’s so GD annoying.

Maybe you are in the wrong thread?
This the "its time for Tesla to provide MCU2 and HW3 upgrades" thread.

I don't know what to say, if it's the burger line, or something else, it's ok to say something if the cue doesn't get served after order numbers, but when you say something in a Tesla forum or to a Tesla fanatic alot of people hates you for not praising your car and Elon Musk.

I do not care about how you feel about what you think about what I'm saying.

I ordered a cheeseburger but got a hotdog, and the other guys after me in line who ordered hotdogs got cheeseburgers because the chef was just banging the cashier clerk and was happy.
At this moment, this is how I feel how my purchase with Tesla has been like.

If you don't like it, it's okay, people are different...

Good grief dude. Better not buy anything...ever. Just rent or lease. And as far as “promised new feature”, nowhere did I see that Tesla states we would get ALL the same features for the next 4 years during the warranty period. That would mean their hardware for cars would have to be stagnant. That is the opposite of how Tesla updates their vehicles for hardware changes. They constantly update hardware.

Prices change all the time for things. The day I received my Tesla, I could have purchased a 100D for the same price. If I waited another few months, I could have received MCU2. And if I waited another year, I could get a performance model with better air suspension, a lot more range for the same price as I paid for mine. If you are that sensitive to price changes and features, you should have just leased. This should be no surprise to you if you looked at the history of Tesla and their vehicles. I actually like the fact that I can buy a new Tesla with more performance for less money each time. Much better than just buying a car that’s more expensive every year for a couple added features.

Yes it would be nice if our vehicles could have FSD preview right now too. But it doesn’t and I’m not going to lay down and die because mine can’t show the preview right now. FSD isn’t even out yet. Now if Tesla never updates my car to FSD well after it’s released, then that’s a different issue. But until that happens, I’m going to enjoy the car that I purchased with the things it can do today.

I agree with you on some of your thoughts, however, if you take a customer's money, you better deliver on your promises or "guarantees".
You are bound to get some complaints from the customerbase if you only deliver to a selected few/the most recent customers.

I still like my Tesla, no problems there, but I see other people/latest customers have got some of what I have paid for already, even though they in some percentage of customers have not.

Is it hard to see what I mean? Am I writing it in a difficult way? I could be, as I am from Norway and my sentence building differs from yours...

Maybe you are in the wrong thread?
This the "its time for Tesla to provide MCU2 and HW3 upgrades" thread.

I don't know what to say, if it's the burger line, or something else, it's ok to say something if the cue doesn't get served after order numbers, but when you say something in a Tesla forum or to a Tesla fanatic alot of people hates you for not praising your car and Elon Musk.

I do not care about how you feel about what you think about what I'm saying.

I ordered a cheeseburger but got a hotdog, and the other guys after me in line who ordered hotdogs got cheeseburgers because the chef was just banging the cashier clerk and was happy.
At this moment, this is how I feel how my purchase with Tesla has been like.

If you don't like it, it's okay, people are different...

Same thing applies to HW and MCU.

Yes...people are different. Thank goodness.

And don’t go down the path of me “praising Elon” or whatever ridiculous fanboi nonsense you are implying. It’s a matter of common sense, being reasonable and doing research before purchase of anything. Never buy a “future feature” if you are that concerned you may not get it.

I agree with you on some of your thoughts, however, if you take a customer's money, you better deliver on your promises or "guarantees".
You are bound to get some complaints from the customerbase if you only deliver to a selected few/the most recent customers.

I still like my Tesla, no problems there, but I see other people/latest customers have got some of what I have paid for already, even though they in some percentage of customers have not.

Is it hard to see what I mean? Am I writing it in a difficult way? I could be, as I am from Norway and my sentence building differs from yours...

Look. I get what you are saying. It is a tough pill to swallow. I have had to swallow that same pill and it is tough. But looking back, I just know that I still enjoyed driving my car ahead of when other people got theirs. And when I buy another, probably the same thing will happen again. But I still enjoy the vehicle.

If Tesla does not come through for us AP2 FSD people, then there is a concern. And that time is approaching. But it isn’t here yet. Something will happen one way or the other. It just seems premature to get so upset over it.

I would like to upgrade my 90D MCU to MCU2, my HW 2.0 to 3.0. My cameras to color. My 90 battery to 100. My air suspension to raven, etc. But the only way right now is to buy a new car. So I will wait and just enjoy what I got.

A dieselgate VW Passat buyback is actually what got me into a Tesla.

First, it’s important to note that they agreed to buy back cars as part of a settlement, but they didn’t “need” to. They could have chosen to fight and ended up with a very different outcome.

Second, I don’t think lying to governments and installing hardware to deliberately circumvent emissions requirements is the same as selling a convenience feature that couldn’t be delivered, and would not be treated the same (i.e., there is no ongoing environmental damage associated with Tesla’s failure to deliver FSD, and no government incentive to have the cars removed from the road).

Third, it’s important to note that VW bought back cars at more or less pre-scandal market value, plus a fixed cash payment of several thousand dollars (up to a max of ~$10k I believe) for punitive and other damages - NOT the full MSRP buyback that many here seem to think they’re entitled to.

Last edited:

I am and I give Tesla a lot of latitude as I fully support the company and its mission

That being said: some people here said you are only entitled to a refund of FSD or get a huge discount for a new car or even that you have to pay for a new MCU yourself if that is required to make FSD work. That would never be acceptable and I think the VW diesel scandal sets a huge precedent.
I wait patiently and even if it is the second quarter of this year before it is my turn to get upgraded, I am fine with that. As long as I am upgraded.

Tesla could do better in cummunication in regards to the upgrade though.

Reactions: yerEVan
If you paid ahead of time for something, in the “promise” that you will get it, meaning FSD, then without a doubt we should get it. Having visuals, in my opinion does not make HW3 vehicles any better than mine as far as actual functionality towards FSD. Yet.

But comparing it to an ICE vehicle as was done on page one of this thread I think is unrelated. If you paid $7k ahead of time for a supercharger for your Chevy sports car (petrol based), that is not available at purchase time, but will be installed when it’s available, and they are now selling 2 year newer vehicles with YOUR promised supercharger installed on them now, but have not given you yours yet, wouldn’t you be a bit pissed?