Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with the NOA suggested lane changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2:30 in the morning.

No one in front of me for 1/2 mile on a 3 lane expressway.

Cant see anyone in the rear view mirror.

65MPH open road middle lane - NOA activated.

Car wants to move to the left most lane. I figure - Strange but I let it.

1/2 mile later...it wants to move back to the middle lane. What?

It did this for over 6 miles as I thought it would stop. Nope...I had to move to cruse control ( NOA off ).

It would surely be nice if Tesla could tell us why the cars do what they do.

WAIT - did I just say that? Did I say that I want the car to explain itself to me? Have I accepted AI?

Anyway...you get my point.

I find NOA way to scary, and I've tried a few times but that's ok as it will improve.

Other thing is that on my commute is HOV lane (580 SF Bay Area), I have use HOV disabled but NOA continually wants me to move into it. It signals, I abort it, couple miles/mins later it does it again, and repeats as long as I have it on.

EDIT: I've tried to log bug on trip multiple times, but my Scottish accent usually ends up with 'Book Report: Up ahead large plane', or something along those lines !

It did this for over 6 miles as I thought it would stop. Nope...I had to move to cruse control ( NOA off ).

WAIT - did I just say that? Did I say that I want the car to explain itself to me? Have I accepted AI?

That seems odd. Basically, NOA does lane changes when the speed difference between you and the car in front exceeds a certain threshold (the threshold is set by your lane change setting). So for example, if you are going 80 mph and the car in front is only going 70 mph, the car will do lane changes more often. The idea is to change lanes to avoid traffic in front of you slowing you down. How fast were you going and what lane change setting you were on? Mad Max mode will do more lane changes. Did it look like the cars in front were going slower than you?

That seems odd. Basically, NOA does lane changes when the speed difference between you and the car in front exceeds a certain threshold (the threshold is set by your lane change setting). So for example, if you are going 80 mph and the car in front is only going 70 mph, the car will do lane changes more often. The idea is to change lanes to avoid traffic in front of you slowing you down. How fast were you going and what lane change setting you were on? Mad Max mode will do more lane changes. Did it look like the cars in front were going slower than you?

Indeed … ODD is why I posted this in the first place.

As I said. 65mph in the middle of 3 lanes.

I have experienced just what you posted about NOA moving around to maintain current speeds in the best lane possible.

As I said. The car in front of me was 1/2 mile away. It was just me and NOA on the open road.

By any chance was it in an area where people would typically (when there is traffic) move to the left most lanes to avoid merging traffic? Mine does something similar in a local area (WB HWY18 at SR167, if anyone in Western WA reads this) where NoA prefers the left lane, even though right lane speed and traffic is fine.

By any chance was it in an area where people would typically (when there is traffic) move to the left most lanes to avoid merging traffic? Mine does something similar in a local area (WB HWY18 at SR167, if anyone in Western WA reads this) where NoA prefers the left lane, even though right lane speed and traffic is fine.

I don't understand the question.

Cornfield on the right - Cornfield on the left.

3 lanes in the middle and myself and NOA in the middle of those.

No one else around for 1/2 mile.

Not sure why the answer to your question would change anything since NOA is real time - live. Right?

Does NOA make typical type adjustments now? I'm not sure if it does or not.

Moderator note: thread title changed for clarity.

Search the forums for “ping pong” and there are numerous threads using that phrase to describe Auto Steer moving the car side to side within a lane or the car moving inappropriately during an Automatic Lane Change. That is the common usage on TMC for the phrase “ping pong”, which is very different from what the OP described in this thread.

This happens on the NJ Turnpike in moderate traffic. Changes to left lane “to follow route “. Quickly changes back to middle or right lane without passing any vehicle. If I abort the left lane change it comes back almost immediately.
Still happens with the latest update. Wants to change lanes for no apparent reason, if you cancel the lane change it tries again about a second later....

Why are you banned??

• Funny
Reactions: X-pilot
Seen this a few times.

Sometimes, there’s a note explaining why it wants to do a lane change but, usually, it makes no sense (e.g., left most lane of 3 going my direction so it can stay on course to destination) then, as you say, ends up changing back relatively quickly. When I get sick of refusing the repeated requests, I disable NoA.

I really think it’s some kind of Pavlovian experiment and am curious to know if it makes as many useless lane changes for those who’ve allowed it to make them without asking permission.

Embrace the future! Before you know it, we’ll be grey marketing “defeat devices” just so we will be allowed to give the steering wheel a little torque without getting zapped by the seat heater electrodes. Same goes for the camera seeing us take our eyes off the video on the central screen to look at the road.

Here is an example of NoA being "stupid". It seems to love to do this on more rural Interstates. I have on Confirm and didn't and it stayed on for over 10 miles. It seems to happen most often before coming up on an exit but....who knows why or when????

IMG_4652.jpeg

Here is another one.

IMG_4656.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA