Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Touchscreen Screen Protector needed ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This topic seems to be as helpful as those topics in cellphone forums go: case v. go naked. Lots of reasons both ways. 2 years. No screen protector. No problems, including hauling 2x4s in my care during the summer months.
Of course, on a cellphone the display is usually scratch-resistant glass. Our screen is just easily-scratched (apparently) plastic. They're not exactly analogous.

Wasn't meant to be a direct parallel. The notion that some need protection and some don't depends upon usage and risk. That's the point.

If you never touch the screen it won't get fingerprints, so a cover won't be useful. A cover will get fingerprints, but in a loaner car I drove the glass got about the same amount of fingerprints in two days as my car gets in a month.

I've had my P85 for 2 years without a screen protector. It is certainly a finger print magnet but as a previous poster said, they are less visible with the screen on. I have a P85D on order and I'm leaning towards getting a screen protector because the finger prints do get mildly annoying over time.

The Model S 17" Screen is made of Gorilla Glass. Unless you got diamonds flying around in the car when accelerating you don't need it :)

In the car, unlike an iPhone, it's not so much about preventing the glass from being broken or scratched from keys or other pocket junk, it's about not collecting massive amounts of fingerprints, reducing glare, having a nicer feel for the fingertips, and offering some level of protection against scratches, chips, etc.

And yes, the screen can get scratched as someone just posted above -- there was some spec of dust/dirt on screen they tried to remove, but instead ground it into the glass, leaving a nice vertical scratch.

Also, I've never seen any evidence that the touchscreen is actually Gorilla Glass. Do you have any source for that?

If you're the type that would put a slipcover on a sofa, a screen protector is for you... :D

I assume you are referring to the lovely vinyl covers of the 70's, of course. A true fashion statement! :tongue:

But, more seriously, I do find that my anti-glare does a great job of reducing (not eliminating) the blinding glare I got with the sunroof open and sun behind me.