Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this the new charging rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to EV cars. My first two uses of the SuperChargers is super slow. Normal?

Attachments

• IMG_20191129_112319.jpg
    IMG_20191129_112319.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 781
Welcome to the wonderful world of chargegate. You can familiarize yourself with how Tesla has hobbled your supercharging speed by perusing this 400+ page long thread...

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

...which is mostly focused on how your battery has also likely been artificially capped but also explains why you will never see the supercharging speeds you should.

In summary Tesla pushed a stealth software update to many 85 and other older cars that both capped their battery capacity and limited supercharging speeds in order to decrease failure rates and fires during the warranty period. It is the subject of a lawsuit that is currently in mediation and also the subject of an ongoing NHTSA investigation. This will prove I suspect the biggest scandal in the history of the company, and that's saying a lot, although it's still largely unknown among most owners because Telsa was so sneaky in how they did it and actually went to great lengths to make it difficult to detect.

And for the record I love my S85 which I have had for 5 years but what Tesla has done here is actually criminal. Imagine if GM through a secret software update disabled 2 cylinders in every Corvette so that the engines would be less prone to failure under warranty. That's essentially what has happened.

Last edited:
I have 2013, they throttled charging back on old cars. Many different theories. A class action lawsuit is in action now.
It takes me 2 extra hours now to go to DC, 700 miles. Used to start at over 120kw. Then 110, now 70 or less. I keep a very detailed log book. Pick any theory you like. I like the one that says slow rate to get us out of warranty.

Debates about throttled charge rates aside (as I have no knowledge of that), it depends on a variety of factors, the two big ones being the current environmental state of the battery and the current charge level of the battery. At higher charge levels, the charge rate is slower. At less than ideal temperatures, the charge rate is slower. As an example, I recently charged my brand new Model 3 which sort of low on charge (had roughly 100 miles remaining, so about 1/3 charged) and got about 65 kW. It's capable of a lot more than that, but the battery was cold (not below freezing temps, but it had sat outside overnight in roughly 40's temperature), and it didn't know I was headed to a supercharger so it didn't precondition the battery.

Battery temperature is a huge factor. If you let your car sit outside in 0 degree weather for a day, then visit a supercharger without any preconditioning, you could get a rate as slow as < 10 kW starting out, even at low charge (low charge could be even worse, as it's possible at low charge the car will do even less than usual to keep the battery conditioned to spare remaining battery capacity).

In both cases I had driven an hour to get to the station. It's not cold here at 55F. I made sure I was several cars away from the other cars charging as well because I had read about the pairing at one point.
Sounds normal for an older 85kwh pack vehicle! Tesla has intentionally capped the supercharging rate so your battery does not fail within warranty period because they do not want to pay to replace it.

In both cases I had driven an hour to get to the station. It's not cold here at 55F. I made sure I was several cars away from the other cars charging as well because I had read about the pairing at one point.
Supercharger pedestals are not always sequential. Have to look at the numbers. Each number has an A & B that are shared.

I have 2013, they throttled charging back on old cars. Many different theories. A class action lawsuit is in action now.
It takes me 2 extra hours now to go to DC, 700 miles. Used to start at over 120kw. Then 110, now 70 or less. I keep a very detailed log book. Pick any theory you like. I like the one that says slow rate to get us out of warranty.

This varies a lot by the battery you have, right? Is yours the 85 kWh battery?

What is important is the battery temperature which might be significantly colder than the air temperature if the night was cold. That said, 1 hour of driving will definitely get you up to charging faster than 36 kW. It's interesting that it charges at that exact same number. That sounds to me like some internal setting is mucked up if that is repeatable. My car pretty much starts somewhere above 120 kW if the state of charge of the battery is at least 20% and less than 45%. It has to be pretty cold to limit the rate to 36 kW.

Do you have any restriction on your regen? If the battery were limiting charging to 36 kW because of the cold, your regen would also be very limited.

Now that I think about it, 36 kW is the magic number you would get if you were in a stall that is paired with someone charging at a high rate. The minimum you will get is 36 kW and it can go up in steps of 12 kW although I don't always see every step.

Reactions: David99
Now that I think about it, 36 kW is the magic number you would get if you were in a stall that is paired with someone charging at a high rate. The minimum you will get is 36 kW and it can go up in steps of 12 kW although I don't always see every step.

36 kw definitely suggests being paired up, as the paired capacity switches in banks of 36 kw. Which also means only when the other car tapers below 72kw would your speed jump up suddenly to around 72 kw.

Being several spots away doesn’t matter. It matters about the number on the supercharger pedestal. Not always are they 1a/1b side by side. Some are 1a,2a,3a,4a,1b,2b,3b,4b.
So unfortunately you are pretty much required to look at the numbers regardless, unless it’s an urban style charger or V3.

36 kw definitely suggests being paired up, as the paired capacity switches in banks of 36 kw. Which also means only when the other car tapers below 72kw would your speed jump up suddenly to around 72 kw.

I don't know what observations led people to say the banks are switched in multiples of 36 kW. I saw this recently when my car was at a charge state that would have allowed charging at 100+ kW and it started at 36 kW. After a few minutes it rose to 48 kW. Then after a few more minutes it rose to 84 kW. Some time later it rose to over 100 kW before eventually tapering down. Clearly these are multiples of 12 kW and not 36 kW.

My 2018 100D seems to be charging much more slowly. Arrived, after 150km drive with supercharger set as navigation destination, with about 30% charge. Charge rate briefly riser to 110kW but then dropped quickly to <90, then at about 50%, <60kW

so I don’t know if the battery is cold, or software is different or what. Last summer I regularly got 140+ kW.

I’m going to hope it is just winter (about 6 Celsius)

My 2018 100D seems to be charging much more slowly. Arrived, after 150km drive with supercharger set as navigation destination, with about 30% charge. Charge rate briefly riser to 110kW but then dropped quickly to <90, then at about 50%, <60kW

so I don’t know if the battery is cold, or software is different or what. Last summer I regularly got 140+ kW.

I’m going to hope it is just winter (about 6 Celsius)

Your battery should not be cold after a 150 km drive. I would suggest you pay close attention to this, take lots of notes and even pictures of the screen. If this persists take the car in for service. I believe my P100D doesn't drop below 60 kW until around 80%.

BTW, has anyone noticed that you can't step on the throttle while your other foot is on the brake? It shuts down after a bit. I've done this to try to clean the brakes (it's not like they get used much) and the car just refuses to do it. Stupid smart car.

Supercharger pedestals are not always sequential. Have to look at the numbers. Each number has an A & B that are shared.

This.

The Roseville, CA station at Galleria Mall does this. The A/B cabinets were actually four stalls apart because they configured it:

1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B

Instead of:

1A 1B 2A 2B 3A 3B 4A 4B

You really have to double-check the stall labels. I wish they would place the labels on top and on both sides instead of down low.