Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m at a brand new 15-bay Supercharger and my 2013 Model S is the only car there. I’ve heard that Tesla has severely throttled back the charging capacity on older Teslas but this seems extreme. 24 kW? At a Supercharger? Come on! Anyone have any insight on what might be happening here?

A3BCAF2F-9FCE-49E1-B935-C1202EA6486B.jpeg

I've taken a M3 [...] they were over 100 kW. That 24 kW charging rate sounds low to me,
But this isn't a Model 3. It's a really old 2013 Model S that would never be able to get 100 kW at half full. Under best conditions, with warm battery, these old cars would have state of charge + kW total around 100 these days. This is about 50 + 24, so 74. So yes, it's lower than ideal, where I would expect around 45 to 50 kW, but for a chilly battery at half full, it doesn't sound extremely out of line.

The main thing is to try changing up a few variables to narrow down possibilities. Try a different SC location. Try it at low and high states of charge. These will give more data to see if there is an issue and where it might be.

Reactions: ucmndd
Upvote 0
That's my thought, too. I've taken a M3 from Parking Lot A to Parking Lot B that had the SCs when it was 40F out and, while my charging rates were lower than normal, they were over 100 kW. That 24 kW charging rate sounds low to me, unless the battery was nearly full, and the OP indicated that it wasn't.
The charging characteristics of a Model 3 couldn’t be less relevant to a 2013 Model S.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I’m at a brand new 15-bay Supercharger and my 2013 Model S is the only car there. I’ve heard that Tesla has severely throttled back the charging capacity on older Teslas but this seems extreme. 24 kW? At a Supercharger? Come on! Anyone have any insight on what might be happening here?

View attachment 914894

View attachment 914894
Did you try another charger that is not near the "slow" one? What was the charge rate on it?

Upvote 0