Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a ‘max ac’ setting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most cars have a dedicated button to max ac settings and effectiveness for a rapid cool down, does Tesla offer this (taking delivery of mine this week)?

I get that you can pre condition the cabin, but if you forget and the car is roasting, is there this option or just manually adjust settings?

Reactions: taynn
Most cars have a dedicated button to max ac settings and effectiveness for a rapid cool down, does Tesla offer this (taking delivery of mine this week)?

I get that you can pre condition the cabin, but if you forget and the car is roasting, is there this option or just manually adjust settings?

Tesla's cool down more quickly than cars with engine-driven compressors because the only way to rev the compressor on an ICE car to high speed is to run the engine at high rpm. Because Tesla's are electrically cooled, they spool up the compressor speed as soon as you let it know you want the cabin cooler.

Net result = fast cooling, even when stuck in traffic.

I recall "max A/C" from years ago but I always felt it was a fake. A/C is either on or off (compressor running or not) .. from what I could figure out all "max A/C" did was turn the fan on full as well. Which you can do with a single voice command to the car.

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Tesla's cool down more quickly than cars with engine-driven compressors because the only way to rev the compressor on an ICE car to high speed is to run the engine at high rpm. Because Tesla's are electrically cooled, they spool up the compressor speed as soon as you let it know you want the cabin cooler.

Net result = fast cooling, even when stuck in traffic.

Makes sense, though I am not sure (I.e. I don’t know) if the compressor speed is relevant, I assume they’re designed to pressurize sufficiently from engine at idle speed. My current vehicle (going back this week) runs the compressor from battery. Anyways good to hear Tesla system works well, with the glass roof especially so...

I recall "max A/C" from years ago but I always felt it was a fake. A/C is either on or off (compressor running or not) .. from what I could figure out all "max A/C" did was turn the fan on full as well. Which you can do with a single voice command to the car.

On my recent cars (BMWs) it also sets temperature to the lowest (60) and sets to recirculate as well as maximize the fan. When you turn it off, the car reverts back to your original setting say 74 or such. I haven’t experienced the Tesla efficiency yet, I am picking up this week but seems from the comments here will be a non issue but I do think it was convienient. Maybe something they’ll add in the future...

Max AC mode in normal cars runs the A/C compressor continuously and selects recirculation mode. By using recirculated air it is both already cooled and dehumidified. This makes a big difference in areas of high temperatures and humidity. In the Model Y the compressor does what it thinks it needs to do but you can select recirc mode if you want.