Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model 3 on death row because of the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really dislike the side windows (tinted rear/untinted front) of the Y, the cheap black trim and handles, and black wheels. It just looks ‘budget’ to me :) and then it’s bigger, so it loses some of the elegance AND performance... a more upright seating position... need I go on :D

It’s probably great for other people and I hope it brings Tesla mass sales/profits, but it’s just not the model for me - sorry!

-Alex
Curious if you have seen the Model Y in person? If not I would suggest holding off on a definite opinion until then.

Reactions: alexGS
This thread made me think back and realize the last true sedan between my wife and I was a 1st gen Prius, then before that, my first car, a classic Mustang I sold in 1986. Since then we've had sports coupe, fastback, convertible, 4x4 pickup, SUV, roadster. There are a lot of car styles for different tastes, or just feeling different, besides sedan and CUV/SUV.

However, now because of Tesla, we are a two sedan family with S and 3. I'd get a Y or Cybertruck now instead of a 2nd sedan, but have no regrets on being an early 3 owner for months before they ramped up production.

EDIT: I guess the classic Mustang was also actually considered a coupe, not a sedan, esp with 2 doors.

Last edited:
I like a sedan better than a crossover too. However, I would have gotten a Model Y instead of the 3 if it was available mainly due to the hatch instead of the truck lid. Also as I am 6'2" having the increased legroom would be a bonus.
Unless you ride in the back of your car alot, I believe the Y actually has less leg room for the driver than a 3. A lot more in the back, but if i remember right, it was slightly less up front.

I absolutely do believe improvements like the tow hitch, heat pump, etc will need to be made to the 3 at some point in the next 6-12 months. That way people who want a sedan versus a make believe SUV can have it without giving up on some of the nice things the Y has going for it.

Right now the primary thing that prevents someone who would normally get the 3 from getting the Y is the price. The Y is pretty pricey.

I absolutely do believe improvements like the tow hitch, heat pump, etc will need to be made to the 3 at some point in the next 6-12 months. That way people who want a sedan versus a make believe SUV can have it without giving up on some of the nice things the Y has going for it.

Right now the primary thing that prevents someone who would normally get the 3 from getting the Y is the price. The Y is pretty pricey.

I think they will eventually make a SR+ version for the Model Y like what they are doing for the Model 3, just going to be a while later just like the Model 3 was released.

I think they will eventually make a SR+ version for the Model Y like what they are doing for the Model 3, just going to be a while later just like the Model 3 was released.

Yeah, the website says "early 2019" for the SR.

That's the rationality for why the Model 3 can still go another 6-12 months without the extra features.

Before COVID-19 I predicted that the Model Y would sell like hot cakes (despite not being a huge fan of crossovers). I still think it will, but dampened quite a bit from what it would have been. Where people will be a lot more price sensitive. .

One thing Tesla does a great job is rapid price adjustment to match demand. So it should be interesting to see what the next 6 months brings.

Yeah, the website says "early 2019" for the SR.

That's the rationality for why the Model 3 can still go another 6-12 months without the extra features.

Before COVID-19 I predicted that the Model Y would sell like hot cakes (despite not being a huge fan of crossovers). I still think it will, but dampened quite a bit from what it would have been. Where people will be a lot more price sensitive. .

One thing Tesla does a great job is rapid price adjustment to match demand. So it should be interesting to see what the next 6 months brings.

With the current popularity of SUVs, I have no doubt the Y will outsell the 3 very soon. It will be the car that will make Tesla quite rich, if not very rich.

Now... If they are going to make an EV in the $20k-$30k range, they will truly dominate in the mainstream market. I don't expect this to happen anytime soon, though, batteries are expensive.

With the current popularity of SUVs, I have no doubt the Y will outsell the 3 very soon. It will be the car that will make Tesla quite rich, if not very rich.

Now... If they are going to make an EV in the $20k-$30k range, they will truly dominate in the mainstream market. I don't expect this to happen anytime soon, though, batteries are expensive.

That was basically my pre-COVID-19 prediction.

I don't have a post COVID-19 one. If China is any indication then Tesla will come roaring back, and COVID-19 will be nothing but a tiny bump in the road. It looks like that's the expectation built into the stock price.

Regardless of COVID-19 I don't think there is any reason to doubt that the Y will outsell the 3. But, will it outsell it so much that the Model 3 goes the way of small cellphones? Probably not.

That was basically my pre-COVID-19 prediction.

I don't have a post COVID-19 one. If China is any indication then Tesla will come roaring back, and COVID-19 will be nothing but a tiny bump in the road. It looks like that's the expectation built into the stock price.

Regardless of COVID-19 I don't think there is any reason to doubt that the Y will outsell the 3. But, will it outsell it so much that the Model 3 goes the way of small cellphones? Probably not.

If you look at sales of SUVs for other car manufacturers, they mainly outsell their sedan counterparts.

But of course, this is Tesla, who knows what's going to happen. Maybe the cybertruck will be their #1 seller in the upcoming years to our surprise.