Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is tesla ending free unlimited supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are trying to lure existing Unlimited supercharging cars to give up their old permanent unlimited supercharging, which will make it difficult to determine which of these cars will now really have permanent unlimited supercharging. The fact that you can get a new model S now with 3 years unlimited supercharging means that Tesla is not ending free unlimited supercharging. Only if you want to take their deal will it end for your older Tesla.

They are trying to lure existing Unlimited supercharging cars to give up their old permanent unlimited supercharging, which will make it difficult to determine which of these cars will now really have permanent unlimited supercharging. The fact that you can get a new model S now with 3 years unlimited supercharging means that Tesla is not ending free unlimited supercharging. Only if you want to take their deal will it end for your older Tesla.
cool. this isnt the first time trying to end our charging, ill wait around for a better offer. =)

Reactions: DerbyDave
It can't. They are legally obligated to leave that alone as long as we keep our cars or sell them to other private parties. As long as Tesla never gets ownership of those cars again, they can't remove it.
What i read was this is an offer. If you accept it, you can even keep your car, but they will have you sign a contract that releases your car from the free supercharging. It is voluntary. Both parties can agree to amend a contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Videomatic3
It can't. They are legally obligated to leave that alone as long as we keep our cars or sell them to other private parties. As long as Tesla never gets ownership of those cars again, they can't remove it.
I agree with you.

However, could you provide legal obligation source you mention? I've heard it said here, by Tesla Service Center employees, and various online news articles. But, where does it stated in writing so by Tesla?

Perhaps a start might be Tesla stating in the recent Loyalty Program FAQs - "How do I remove unlimited Supercharging from my current vehicle?
You will be sent a document to be signed and returned with more details."

However, could you provide legal obligation source you mention? I've heard it said here, by Tesla Service Center employees, and various online news articles. But, where does it stated in writing so by Tesla?
Sure. Wording on their website of what the terms are with buying the car constitutes part of the legal agreement of the purchase. They have to comply with that and can't renege on it later after the purchase. The Wayback Machine has snapshots of their website around that time. This is from 2014 when I was buying:

Specifically, here is the wording:

How much does it cost to use the Supercharger?
Supercharging is free for the life of Model S, once the Supercharger option is enabled.

The key words "for the life of the Model S" shows that it stays with the car permanently, regardless of owner.

And Jon McNeil, Tesla's president of North American sales at that time confirmed it in writing too when people asked about reselling and used cars:

"Firm answer: All Teslas purchased with Supercharging for life carry that benefit for the life of the car."

That also has legal weight when an executive makes a written commitment too.

Sure. Wording on their website of what the terms are with buying the car constitutes part of the legal agreement of the purchase. They have to comply with that and can't renege on it later after the purchase. The Wayback Machine has snapshots of their website around that time. This is from 2014 when I was buying:

Specifically, here is the wording:

How much does it cost to use the Supercharger?
Supercharging is free for the life of Model S, once the Supercharger option is enabled.

The key words "for the life of the Model S" shows that it stays with the car permanently, regardless of owner.

And Jon McNeil, Tesla's president of North American sales at that time confirmed it in writing too when people asked about reselling and used cars:

"Firm answer: All Teslas purchased with Supercharging for life carry that benefit for the life of the car."

That also has legal weight when an executive makes a written commitment too.
I'm saving this. Thank for being our researcher on this subject.

I thought that those that got FUSC after January 17, 2017, no longer had transferable FUSC. Older cars, no problem with private transfers keeping FUSC. I could be wrong on this. My prior S had FUSC (Dec-2016) and it did transfer when I sold it.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I thought that those that got FUSC after January 17, 2017, no longer had transferable FUSC. Older cars, no problem with private transfers keeping FUSC. I could be wrong on this. My prior S had FUSC (Dec-2016) and it did transfer when I sold it.

That is correct. Our 2020 Model X has FUSC, but it's tied to *my* ownership of the vehicle. Were I to sell it, the free supercharging goes away.

Fair enough - that X will be with us for a very, very long time.