Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my charger pulling too much energy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla was 100% charged by 2am. Now it is 12:59 and it still shows +3kwh. Does it mean it is still pulling power?

I'm worried because I shocking bill from my electricity provider. From the usual 200$ for May and June for July I got a bill for 1890$! Could something be wrong with the car or the charger causing it to pull a lot of energy?

Things I know for a fact:
1. I'm on time of day plan which leads me to believe I have a smart meter.
2. Got my car in May.
3. April was the last manual meter reading before buying the car and the latest manual meter reading was done in July. Considering I have a smart meter the 1890$ bill should be only for this month. Wondering if the charger is faulty causing excessive power usage

Coz everyone at home started using heaters around the same time as I bought my car I'm wondering if it is the winter heating or the car!

IMG20230818125904.jpg

My Tesla was 100% charged by 2am. Now it is 12:59 and it still shows +3kwh. Does it mean it is still pulling power?

I'm worried because I shocking bill from my electricity provider. From the usual 200$ for May and June for July I got a bill for 1890$! Could something be wrong with the car or the charger causing it to pull a lot of energy?

2. Got my car in May.
3. April was the last manual meter reading before buying the car and the latest manual meter reading was done in July. Considering I have a smart meter the 1890$ bill should be only for this month. Wondering if the charger is faulty causing excessive power usage

Coz everyone at home started using heaters around the same time as I bought my car I'm wondering if it is the winter heating or the car!

View attachment 965994
How much or often did you charge during the month? You could leave your car unplugged and see how much range you lose over 24 hours or if possible longer. This will tell you how much energy the car could be pulling when not driven.

The +3kWh is how much charge was added during this session.

2kW is what it's currently pulling, but you're in the car with the heat running, and you also have some sort of dashboard connected too that will be pulling power, potentially keeping something awake.

Reactions: cafz

+3kwh indicates how much was added since it was plugged in. It's not an indication of how much it is drawing right now. However it looks like the car is unlocked and door opened and it is momentarily drawing "shore power" probably for the AC and battery calibration.

Ok looks like you're in NSW. It's your winter heating bill. A TOU plan is very expensive between 2pm and 8pm (peak), and very cheap after 10pm (off peak).

Minimise your home heating and avoid charging entirely in the peak.

2. Got my car in May.

Bang on the start of winter heating season.

Very very unlikely. Pretty much unheard of AFAIK. What's your typical weekly mileage?

For reference, doing the Australian average 13,000km a year, takes about 7-8kwH of energy per day.

Use the Charge Stats option in the Tesla app to see how much energy the car has drawn while charging at home. If you set it up with your time-of-use times and rates (get these from your power bill) it will calculate how much it cost.

I'm worried because I shocking bill from my electricity provider. From the usual 200$ for May and June for July I got a bill for 1890$!

For EV newbies a few tips, if you are not doing these things already:
  1. Charge your car overnight at offpeak rates, i.e. typically after 10pm and certainly after midnight. Never charge your car at peak times unless you absolutely have to. It is madness to do that and will cost you a fortune. Even for people who are not on ToU grid rates, and pay a fixed charge per kWh at all times, be nice to the grid and charge overnight anyway.
  2. Charge your car using excess solar, if that’s an option available to you. There are third-party solutions available to do that automatically. Tesla say they will soon bring that ability here natively within their App if you have a Powerwall 2.
  3. Don’t keep waking your car up using the App. It powers everything up for about 10 minutes and will result in unnecessary power draw.
  4. Turn sentry off - at least at home. It is a complete power hog and will chew up 2-3 km of range per hour and so increase your electricity consumption having to replenish that loss. My default is to set Sentry to be off at all times, and I only turn it on manually using the App when I have parked the car in a potentially dodgy location.
Cheers! And enjoy your Tesla 😄

Charge your car overnight at offpeak rates, i.e. typically after 10pm and certainly after midnight. Never charge your car at peak times unless you absolutely have to. It is madness to do that and will cost you a fortune.
Agreed. And if you use Scheduled Departure, so it charges at the end of the night rather than the start, the charging process leaves the battery a bit warmer on cold mornings, which means you'll won't see the 'regen reduced' warning.