Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth $3k for FSD for EAP owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that NoA/city and recognition of stoplights and stop signs are only the first steps toward driving in the city as well as EAP presently does on the highway. There are a million edge cases where the driver will have to take over. And even just Level 2 NoA/city is immensely more difficult than NoA/freeway because on the freeway it's a reasonable assumption that other cars will continue to move with the traffic, changing speed gradually and changing lanes occasionally. In the city you are constantly anticipating other cars' actions. How will it respond to a driver at a 4-way stop who does not move when it is their turn? Will it be so over-cautious about turning left across traffic that it takes four times as long to make the turn as you would? We've all been in the situation where someone moves out of turn, or doesn't move when it is their turn, and then both cars start to move at the same time, and then both stop, and finally one makes a hand gesture to let the other one go. Will the car recognize such hand gestures? Or will you have to take over at 2 out of 3 intersections?

Tesla will gather data from billions of miles driven, but how long will it take to develop the software that can adequately respond? Neural Networks seem to show remarkable learning ability, but they are in their infancy, and so far have mostly been used for things like learning to play games with very specific rules. We really have no understanding of their potential for tasks that have not yet been automated.

Landing an airplane is very difficult for a human because the plane must be lined up precisely with the runway, and speed and glide angle are critical. Such things are easy for a computer. And when an airplane is landing, the control tower has given it clearance and there will be no other plane in its way. But the driver of a car has to interact constantly with other drivers, anticipating their actions and responding according to their expectations. Computers are untested in this kind of situation.

Ten billion miles of data are useless without a program that can make good decisions. Don't get me wrong: I think we'll get there. But the task is far more complicated than some seem to think, and Elon is the worst person to say how long it will take because he is such an optimist. This is good because maybe it's the only reason we have Tesla. But it is risky to take his timeline predictions at face value.

I think that @AlanSubie4Life is spot-on when he says that the first people with self-driving cars will not be the ones who buy the FSD package today; they'll be the ones who buy the new cars that have the necessary hardware, because our cars don't, and it was simply wrong to say that our cars had all the needed hardware before the software existed. Before you have the software you cannot know what hardware will be needed.

Reactions: mjptech
Note that NoA/city and recognition of stoplights and stop signs are only the first steps toward driving in the city as well as EAP presently does on the highway. There are a million edge cases where the driver will have to take over. And even just Level 2 NoA/city is immensely more difficult than NoA/freeway because on the freeway it's a reasonable assumption that other cars will continue to move with the traffic, changing speed gradually and changing lanes occasionally. In the city you are constantly anticipating other cars' actions. How will it respond to a driver at a 4-way stop who does not move when it is their turn? Will it be so over-cautious about turning left across traffic that it takes four times as long to make the turn as you would? We've all been in the situation where someone moves out of turn, or doesn't move when it is their turn, and then both cars start to move at the same time, and then both stop, and finally one makes a hand gesture to let the other one go. Will the car recognize such hand gestures? Or will you have to take over at 2 out of 3 intersections?

Tesla will gather data from billions of miles driven, but how long will it take to develop the software that can adequately respond? Neural Networks seem to show remarkable learning ability, but they are in their infancy, and so far have mostly been used for things like learning to play games with very specific rules. We really have no understanding of their potential for tasks that have not yet been automated.

Landing an airplane is very difficult for a human because the plane must be lined up precisely with the runway, and speed and glide angle are critical. Such things are easy for a computer. And when an airplane is landing, the control tower has given it clearance and there will be no other plane in its way. But the driver of a car has to interact constantly with other drivers, anticipating their actions and responding according to their expectations. Computers are untested in this kind of situation.

Ten billion miles of data are useless without a program that can make good decisions. Don't get me wrong: I think we'll get there. But the task is far more complicated than some seem to think, and Elon is the worst person to say how long it will take because he is such an optimist. This is good because maybe it's the only reason we have Tesla. But it is risky to take his timeline predictions at face value.

I think that @AlanSubie4Life is spot-on when he says that the first people with self-driving cars will not be the ones who buy the FSD package today; they'll be the ones who buy the new cars that have the necessary hardware, because our cars don't, and it was simply wrong to say that our cars had all the needed hardware before the software existed. Before you have the software you cannot know what hardware will be needed.
Your statement about planes is not totally true. In decent conditions the computer will do better than a human being, however when you are not within certain limits, the computer can't safely land the plane, the pilots have to do it, like strong winds.
My point is : if plane automation can't be 100% reliable after decades of utilization, will car automation succeed in a couple years or even a decade ?
Just a honest question.

It's a bit of a Catch-22. In order to collect the data needed to teach an AI how to drive, you need to deploy a specific configuration of sensors; but in the process of teaching the AI you might realize your configuration isn't sufficient. If Tesla decides to change the number or arrangement of sensors, it might render their current cache of training data and NN progress worthless.

The only way to break out of the Catch-22 is to put your foot down, take a risk, and make a bet on a certain configuration. They're either going to be the first to achieve L5, or they're going to be 10 years behind their competitors.

My point is : if plane automation can't be 100% reliable after decades of utilization, will car automation succeed in a couple years or even a decade ?
Just a honest question.

Those are totally different things. A plane in intrinsically unsafe/ unstable, if you stop controlling it, it will crash (some planes are well behaved and this will not happen until fuel is exhausted). If you stop driving (no throttle) in a car, it just stops. Landing in cross winds is a dynamic physics problem (which a computer could solve, but good luck on liability if it hits a microburst on final), driving is dynamic vision/ object classification problem. Kids get power wheels cars, they don't get power wheels planes...

On the other end of the spectrum:
Falcon 9/ Crew Dragon are 100% automated from launch to docking to landing.

Those are totally different things. A plane in intrinsically unsafe/ unstable, if you stop controlling it, it will crash (some planes are well behaved and this will not happen until fuel is exhausted). If you stop driving (no throttle) in a car, it just stops. Landing in cross winds is a dynamic physics problem (which a computer could solve, but good luck on liability if it hits a microburst on final), driving is dynamic vision/ object classification problem. Kids get power wheels cars, they don't get power wheels planes...

ALL transport category ( airline ) planes ARE intrinsically STABLE, current 737 problem exepted.

why not invest your 3k$ in TSLA stock instead?. If they do come out with a reasonable FSD software suit, their stock will double or triple in no time. You can then sell your stock and possbily get FSD software for free or pretty close.

If, in the other hand, they can't deliver on their promises, worst case you can sell your TSLA shares and get most of your money back.

I do not see how handing away your money blindly can be a better option than buying TSLA.

ALL transport category ( airline ) planes ARE intrinsically STABLE, current 737 problem exepted.

Stable assuming neutral control position (or some variation thereof) like you mention with Boeing, a pitch down error will end the flight in a hurry. An object that requires motion (and control) to stay viable is not intrinsically safe. There is no fail safe mode for planes (other than perhaps ones with built in parachutes). Sooner or later they run of of fuel and must land. And landing must occur above stall speed.

With a car you can just stop on failure, and/or slow to process a situation.

Tesla seems to be taking an incremental approach to self-driving. Tesla is releasing features/improvements one by one, under driver supervision, validating each piece as they go. Some of these FSD features/improvements will be released relatively soon, like in the next 6-12 months, some FSD features/improvements will be released later. In terms of paying $3000 for FSD, it really boils down to how much progress you think Tesla will make in the short term versus the long term and what you are hoping to get out of the FSD software. Personally, I have no doubt that current owners today will certainly get some FSD features and benefits on the existing hardware even if their cars don't become FSD. Whether those benefits are worth $3000 is totally up to each individual.

Don't pay $3000 IF:
- You want a robotaxi next year.
- You think the progress will be very slow and very few FSD features will be released in the next 1-3 years.
- You are leasing your car.
- You are planning to trade in your car soon.

Do pay $3000 IF:
- You plan to keep your car long term.
- You are ok with not getting a robotaxi next year.
- You want the latest FSD features even if they require driver supervision.
- You like being a guinea pig for new AP/FSD features.
- You think Tesla will make enough progress that you will get $3000 worth of AP/FSD features in the next 1-3 years.

I've had a Model S. I have a Model 3 and a Model X. "New Features" come out all of the time, but the promises don't change a lot. FSD has been "coming soon" for YEARS. There has even been class action lawsuits which Tesla has paid because they sold "FSD" and never delivered on it. Now, years later, it is still something they are selling. (And haven't delivered) You can believe whatever you want that it is just around the corner. No matter what Elon tweets, or what video you see, or what is briefed in an investor junket, those goalposts are constantly moved.

FSD Coming this year! Oh no wait next year... oh no current cars won't ever be able to do it on current hardware. New hardware will do it we swear. Look FSD! Dump this HW company, dump that HW company, dump this lead AP engineer, make our own chips, do it over and over again... All it is at this point is nothing but faith.

I LOVE my Tesla. But I love it for what it IS not for what Elon says it might be someday. FSD is a MAJOR deal. Point A to Point B driving isn't going to happen in the next 5 years, let alone "Soon". Autopilot will continue get better, and that is a feature that exists today.

Tesla loves to use scare tactics of future price hikes to get you to spend money today, but in reality we have seen them do the opposite. They have been consistently lowering prices and putting things on sale all of the time. With all of the cars now starting to have lane keeping features, new electric vehicles on the horizon, expect to see them do more of the same. I wouldn't pre-pay for any feature until it exists in a capacity that proves its value.

The model 3 at its current price is an amazing value. FSD right now is a complete waste of money.

Well, if you stop controlling a car....it won't crash ? Me think it will crash before the plane will...
For the crosswind, the computer can crab the plane in order to track the center line and land it this way. However in case the plane needs some amount of side slip, I don't know a plane which will do it on autoland...but obviously I don't know all the airplanes.

Again, it is just a feeling but it seems to me that the car environment is far more complex than the airplane environment.

Well, if you stop controlling a car....it won't crash ?

As I wrote, no throttle input. Cars do not crash when you stop them. There is always the option to stop moving. Planes don't have that option until they are on the ground.

Again, it is just a feeling but it seems to me that the car environment is far more complex than the airplane environment.
Yah, autonomous car environments are more complex in terms of things to watch out for/ be aware of/ laws to follow. They are a lot simpler in terms of control dynamics.

This morning, I was reading that TP-link canceled promised upcoming Apple Homekit support on their smart plugs and this comment was all too real for FSD as well:
TP-Link cancels plan to add Apple HomeKit support to its smart plugs

upload_2019-8-12_9-45-49.png

People are mad that they aren't getting promised features on a $30-40 smart plug. How will you feel about $2-3k+? If you're ok about delays, potential disappointments, or a very long beta period of new FSD features, then you are the target customer of the FSD upgrade.

Last edited:
For me, stop sign and traffic light recognition are really useful features which I would have missed with EAP.
Being upgraded to HW3 also increases longetivity and resale value of my car.
Besides, I would like to be an early adopter of FSD software and buying FSD at 3K was really a no-brainer for me to support that. It wouldn't have taken plunge at $6300 earlier.

For me, stop sign and traffic light recognition are really useful features which I would have missed with EAP.

I am still trying to figure out how these features, by themselves, will be useful. Unless the car can also properly yield to pedestrians in or about to enter a crosswalk, handle a four-way stop, and so on, I won't be engaging any of the automated systems. I want to know what it does AFTER it sees it has a green light, yet there's someone in the crosswalk that you have to cross to make the desired right turn. How's it going to handle a four-way stop when two drivers arrive at the same moment?

That said, I did buy FSD for the simple reason that it will, in my opinion, likely result in better EAP behavior on the highway, which is where it's really useful to me. I don't care about parlor tricks and if the car never drives itself on city streets, I really won't care.

I am still trying to figure out how these features, by themselves, will be useful. Unless the car can also properly yield to pedestrians in or about to enter a crosswalk, handle a four-way stop, and so on, I won't be engaging any of the automated systems. I want to know what it does AFTER it sees it has a green light, yet there's someone in the crosswalk that you have to cross to make the desired right turn. How's it going to handle a four-way stop when two drivers arrive at the same moment?

That said, I did buy FSD for the simple reason that it will, in my opinion, likely result in better EAP behavior on the highway, which is where it's really useful to me. I don't care about parlor tricks and if the car never drives itself on city streets, I really won't care.

On their own, they aren't so useful. They may save you if they work when you don't, but I think the major purpose is getting test miles on the code.
  1. Run code in background and validate response vs driver
  2. Run code in foreground with human supervising and over riding when needed
  3. Run code in foreground without human involved

[QUOTE="daniel, post: 3915233, member: 1500"
I think that @AlanSubie4Life is spot-on when he says that the first people with self-driving cars will not be the ones who buy the FSD package today; they'll be the ones who buy the new cars that have the necessary hardware, because our cars don't, and it was simply wrong to say that our cars had all the needed hardware before the software existed. Before you have the software you cannot know what hardware will be needed.[/QUOTE]

Ummmmmm You do realize that Tesla has been running FSD on some of it's cars (including Elon's) for MONTHS now, and it is CURRENTLY running in "shadow mode" on the entire fleet right?

This entire notion of "based on what I see now it's nowhere near ready so let me speculate beyond infinity as to what I think will make it work" is nonsense. The software in your car is not even close to what will be in V10 V11 and V12 running HW3. To compare the two is like comparing a MacBook to a Speak and Spell.

Tesla (Elon) is saying "Have faith in me and you will be rewarded with a discounted price, wait for me to show you I can land a rocket on a remote control ship 400 miles off the coast, and you pay retail."

YES! It's worth it. Duh.

On their own, they aren't so useful. They may save you if they work when you don't, but I think the major purpose is getting test miles on the code.
  1. Run code in background and validate response vs driver
  2. Run code in foreground with human supervising and over riding when needed
  3. Run code in foreground without human involved

Oh, you mean if you use these features you are effectively “employed” by Tesla? How much does Tesla pay? By mile or by time?

• Disagree
Reactions: NoMoGas
Tesla (Elon) is saying "Have faith in me and you will be rewarded with a discounted price, wait for me to show you I can land a rocket on a remote control ship 400 miles off the coast, and you pay retail."

YES! It's worth it. Duh.

Tesla (Elon) has been saying (and selling) this since 2015. It’s getting old. Literally!

NO! It’s not worth it. Duh.