Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to transfer "autopilot" from one vehicle to another?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two questions:

1. If I buy a model s now and pay for autopilot (AP2), and I decide to buy another one (assuming its also AP2) a few years later, can I transfer the autopilot from the first car to the second one so that the newer one has autopilot (without paying extra for it) and the older one can be sold w/out autopilot enabled?

2. If 1) is a flat no, does the cost of autopilot depreciate with the cost of the car? I find this important if I would consider to replace the car in the future, since its less expensive to enable AP before delivery than after.

If you enable it later, do you pay sales tax on it? (From the state where you live)

Digital-Product-Taxability.png

• Informative
Reactions: Jxtheone
Price of autopilot does not depreciate if you postpone buying FSD until when it is actually ready. It will cost same as new, or even a bit more.
But what about in terms of resale? If you buy a car for 85k without EAP (enhanced auto pilot), then decide to sell it a year later, lets say you can sell it for 50k. Now, what if you bought EAP a week before you decided to sell it, does that mean you can sell it for 55k? (50k + 5k for EAP)

But what about in terms of resale? If you buy a car for 85k without EAP (enhanced auto pilot), then decide to sell it a year later, lets say you can sell it for 50k. Now, what if you bought EAP a week before you decided to sell it, does that mean you can sell it for 55k? (50k + 5k for EAP)
No.

Enabling Autopilot might return you a few dollars, but nothing to the magnitude of being fully reimbursed for it. Unfortunately it's just like all the accessories that we put on our cars, people usually don't care, and are highly unlikely to pay you anything more than what the car would be worth without them. Needless to say, a car with AP1/AP2 will sell for a little more than one without it.