Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to NOT curb rash 21" rims?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we forget the Model S is a larger car than most. It's so easy to scratch wheels with it. It takes time to give yourself more room.

That's why we include a free extra rim protector with our wheels, which already comes with one each.

I have been thinking seriously about a set of your BBS wheels with the protector for my P85D when I upgrade later this year. How well does the metal protector work? Does it look really bad with a small scrape? Fairly easy to pull off and replace? Are there any pictures around of a scraped up wheel with this protector?

I have been using Alloy Gators on my 21s on my 2012 P85 and they have saved me MANY times. When I get home I use the scraping tool that came with them and clean off the rough edges. It doesn't look perfect, but since it is black plastic, you don't really notice it too much at the edge of the dark grey wheels and the black tire. BUT, I know that the Alloy Gators are ruining the wheel edge underneath. When I got a new set of tires and had to put another set of Alloy Gators on, there were little metal "bite marks" every few inches around the very edge of the rim where the Alloy Gator metal clamps scratched all the way through the paint on the wheel.

Anyway, would love to understand more details on your UP-01 wheel protectors.

Thanks!

The 19" are just as easy to get rash as the 21's. In fact the spokes actually sticks outwards making them easier to come in contact with curbs.
I rashed my 19's twice in the first few months of ownership. I was not used to such a big car. Had them refinished. Have been extra careful since and have not done it in over a year.
Have never rashed my Roadster rims. Love small cars!

Welp, I just did it again. Very minor, but definitely some damage. And, this was with rim guards. Because of the angle I hit, the curb actually pushed the rim guard off first, before scuffing the wheel itself. I do think the guard helped to minimize the damage, but dammit I was really hoping it would save the wheel completely. I actually think having the protection made me slightly less careful.

And, all that to back into a spot for a CHAdeMO station that turned out to be out of service...