Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Car Insurance "choice of repairer" essential for Oz Tesla owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldnt agree with the notion this is essential

Where I would suggest it has value is in owners who have high standards on finish and wont accept the smallest blemish like some orange peel. Those orange peel hard core customers will expect it flat sanded back and all paint corrected. Also, small things like if an owner hasnt maintained the car much and the headlights are faded then swapping one side, far easier to have choice of repair force a buff compounding and polish of the remaining headlight so that both headlights perform in the same ballpark etcetc

Yes yes all this "might" be argued post the fix in an insurer appointed repair but often its a major hassle and take weeks and weeks additionally just to get a slot to do that sort of work again. Never except delivery from an insurer if its not good I say. More leverage to leave it there.

Its really not the panel shops fault here as an industry - insurance companies have put undue pressure on them and are constantly at them on the smallest costing variances. Therefore some shops like my associates in response just chuck a well dear insurance companies on ya bike, we dont need you.

I wouldnt agree with the notion this is essential

Where I would suggest it has value is in owners who have high standards on finish and wont accept the smallest blemish like some orange peel. Those orange peel hard core customers will expect it flat sanded back and all paint corrected. Also, small things like if an owner hasnt maintained the car much and the headlights are faded then swapping one side, far easier to have choice of repair force a buff compounding and polish of the remaining headlight so that both headlights perform in the same ballpark etcetc

Yes yes all this "might" be argued post the fix in an insurer appointed repair but often its a major hassle and take weeks and weeks additionally just to get a slot to do that sort of work again. Never except delivery from an insurer if its not good I say. More leverage to leave it there.

Its really not the panel shops fault here as an industry - insurance companies have put undue pressure on them and are constantly at them on the smallest costing variances. Therefore some shops like my associates in response just chuck a well dear insurance companies on ya bike, we dont need you.
No insurance company is going to go beyond standard unless you have declared it at premium time, so if you have spent eg 10k doing mods to paint, wheels etc you have to tell them for it to be covered And potentially pay more premium.
I had a bumper repair done 2 years ago after someone put a hole in it. The insurer refused to pay for my coating. I pointed out I advised of the mod when taking out the insurance, so they then paid for correction and coating of the bumper. My choice of repairer and detailer.

No insurance company is going to go beyond standard unless you have declared it at premium time, so if you have spent eg 10k doing mods to paint, wheels etc you have to tell them for it to be covered And potentially pay more premium.
I had a bumper repair done 2 years ago after someone put a hole in it. The insurer refused to pay for my coating. I pointed out I advised of the mod when taking out the insurance, so they then paid for correction and coating of the bumper. My choiceof repairer and detailer.
If theres undisclosed mods an insurance company is likely to go fishing on if those are unroadworthy or if it changes their risk asessment etcetc to then try to deny the claim etc

The more common scenario the industry faces is the sorts of examples I gave on standard vehicles in ordinary circumstances. The damage is assessed and the insurance company is usually third degree on every line item on the costing. This is why in many cases an owners choice of repairer is way way more as an option on the policy. Shops like my associates wont do the work otherwise. They dont release cars with orange peel or different lights at night etcetc. In theory it should be possible to get the same outcome without choice of repairer but in practice its a stupidly long and time consuming and frustrating thing for an owner to keep going back and not have the vehicle, wait more etcetc