Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Autopilot really centered in the lane?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KyleDay

Oct 29, 2016
AZ
Evening All-

I have an AP2 Model S and am getting accustomed to auto steer. I know it is supposed to drive dead center in the lane, but I swear my car actually tracks about 1-2 feet right of center, which is concerning as I'm rather close to adjacent traffic.

Is it possible my cameras aren't aligned properly side-to-side such that it thinks the car is centered and it's not? Or is this just everyone's perception as they get used to Auto Steer?

In an ideal scenario I'd love for a setting to default the car 1-2 feet left of center, but I know that's not available currently.

Thanks

I have AP1 and I feel like the car positions itself too far to the right. This is fine, even desirable, when I'm in the right lane, but when I'm in the left lane, it frequently causes me to take over on narrow roads because autopilot is just not leaving enough margin for error with cars to my right.

I have AP1. I drive right if lane (human error, may be as a result of during a half million miles on the other side of the road before coming to the US).

AP grabs and adjust left almost always when I enable it. Because of this I've been very watchful. It drives center of lane given two lines to track. It drives too close to the left line (for my taste) if there is no line/curb detected on the right.

Just my experience. YMMocV.

This has been discussed before and the consensus seems to be that most drivers actually drive left of center by default - take a look at other cars on the road and you will notice this. The Tesla on the other hands drives at the true center, but it feels too far to the right since you're used to driving off-center to the left.

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad
My experience has been dead center (AP HW1) but will inch over when someone drifts into your lane and the ultrasonic sensors pick it up, but it does get dicey when the lane markers aren't clear. I tend to drive in the HOV lane when possible because you have more of a buffer between the other lanes and no one can cut you off from the left. The far left lane also has the benefit of no one cutting you off from the left but not the extra buffer between lanes. At the end of the day we still need to pay attention.