Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Al Gore A Hypocrite?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The hypocrisy (may be unpopular) is that Elon is a connoisseur of eating hamburgers and other meats which their consumption adds equal if not more to global warming than driving a dino powered car. For example, 50% of water in the US goes towards factory farmed animals + water pollution/treatment etc...

From just the peta website (I know biased but probably close to accurate)

If every American skipped one meal of chicken per week and ate vegan food instead, it would be like taking 500,000 cars off the road. Part of the equation with CO2 emissions. Can't blame it all on transportation or power generation etc.

Something like that is referenced in the DiCaprio documentary.

From what I can tell, Al Gore is a good man. Good, meaning respectful, well intentioned, and generally competent. All the attempted smears in the world won't change that. Gore's climate change message is authentic and apolitical. It is unfortunate that his message has been corrupted by party politics. Good men and women can be trusted to try to do the right thing, or at least try to. And there are good men and women on both sides of the political spectrum, whether hardcore Republicans and Democrats are willing to believe it or not. Our Presidents of the last few decades, current administration excluded, I think have all been good men, even if we didn't always agree with them.

It's becoming increasingly important for politicians who are solidly Democrat or Republican to stay out of important messages and decisions, as the topics are quickly corrupted by the mere happenstance of their political party. Political parties are becoming cryptonite to civil discourse.

One definition of a hypocrite is "a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings." Definition of HYPOCRITE

At some level, we are all hypocrites. We have ideals that conflict with our desires and we often act on our desires instead of our ideals.

I have considered myself to be an environmentalist all of my adult life, but growing up in Detroit also have always loved cars with a passion. That set up a huge conflict between ideals and desires. Given the choice between something fun to drive and something more efficient but "practical," I have tended to choose fun when I could.

One of the reasons I believe Tesla has become so popular is that you can have the best of both worlds -- an incredible car that is better for the environment than the alternatives. Of course, I could walk or take mass transit all the time, but I am not ready to go that far.

There was a pretty interesting article on hypocrisy in Scientific American a few years ago featuring none other than Al Gore. The Truth about Hypocrisy

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak and AndreN