Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone (v17.4 beta) - can receive text messages but can't send new ones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RNHurt

2020 MY, White, Black
Jul 29, 2020
Louisville, KY
Well, this is frustrating. I can receive text messages in my MX but I can't send them. I've "rebooted" both the car and my iPhone multiple times with no effect. I've removed and re-paired them several times as well. Nothing seems to work.

This has worked flawlessly ever since I purchased the car (8 months) but stopped working just a couple of days ago. The only thing I can think of is that my iPhone was configured to "Beta Updates" and is now running v17.4, which is pre-release. Maybe something in this new version is messing with SMS. I wonder if I can downgrade my iOS version... 🤔

Reactions: Prime1000
Ah, you can "downgrade" but it involves wiping and resetting your phone and restoring it from a backup. That seems like a lot of work. :(

I wonder what will happen if I push forward and install the latest beta version (v17.4.3)... 🤔

Let's find out! :D

I have the exact same problem that started happening two plus weeks ago. My MX was not updated recently only the new iPhone 15. It had always worked for the last 20 months of ownership. Thank you to those who already reported to Apple. Prior to seeing this thread I was not sure if it was phone or car or me having something set wrong.

I had this since the Holiday update. I filed a service ticket and at one point they pushed the same build to me. The reinstall of the same build seemed to clear the issue, I can now send and receive again.
Interesting. I just received the 2023.40.30.14 build (up from 40.30.8) yesterday and I'm still having the problem. Maybe I'll file a service ticket with Tesla to see if pushing a new build works for me as well.

Interesting. I just received the 2023.40.30.14 build (up from 40.30.8) yesterday and I'm still having the problem. Maybe I'll file a service ticket with Tesla to see if pushing a new build works for me as well.
Report back here if it resolves your issue. But I’ve tested with another iPhone running 17.2 and no issue. So I’m pretty sure it’s a Apple iOS issue and not Tesla.

Reactions: RNHurt
One thing I remember from the early Model 3 days was that not all updates update all modules. So when you get sent the other build it's kind of like a forced reinstall and makes sure every module in the car is hit. Wondering if that's why the service ticket worked for me. Of course didn't fix the @$$hattery of removing the ability to navigate among XM favorites using steering wheel controls.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt