Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New User Question about Texting.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NYC_Phil

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2023
New York, NY
Please forgive me for asking what some of you may feel is a basic question.

I hope that no one will chastise me for not searching all of the forums posts to find my answer. If I purchase a Tesla I will be a considerate contributor.

I have been a Mercedes driver for more than 40 years but after renting several Teslas in North America and Europe I'm interested in Abandoning Mercedes in favor of a Model X.

I've managed to link my iPhone and I can send a text but I must touch the screen in order to send it or hear the answer.

I've decided that I'm willing to give up Carplay because the Tesla interface works so well but Carplay handles texting using voice commands.

I've seen online offerings for a third-party application which allows Carplay to be used on the Tesla but I've never found those interfaces to work correctly.

I appreciate your patience and understanding in answering what may be a basic question to some of you.

Thank you

Phil

I've managed to link my iPhone and I can send a text but I must touch the screen in order to send it or hear the answer.
You are correct. While you can dictate the message with voice commands, you must hit the screen or a button to send. And likewise it takes hitting the screen or a button to have the message read. Apple Car Play can do messages 100% by voice. I want to endorse the native system in Tesla, and it can do most things, but it still has some shortcomings such as this, if you want it to be 100% hands free.

Reactions: NYC_Phil
Upvote 0
I'm very surprised to read this. I find texting in the Model 3 very convenient and definitely doesn't require touching the screen. It usually *DOES* require looking at the screen to ensure it's sending what you think it's sending.

I push the right scroll wheel and say "text Elon". Then about a second later it shows the prompt with the text "Texting Elon". Then I say, "Elon, Twitter was a mistake... cut your losses and move on"... and it does the speech to text and displays the text.

After reading what it has written, I have two choices - one right scroll wheel press to send, double right scroll wheel press to clear and talk again.

Does the X not work this way?

• Funny
Reactions: Shuttlecraft X
Upvote 0
After reading what it has written, I have two choices - one right scroll wheel press to send, double right scroll wheel press to clear and talk again.
No you don’t have to touch the screen in the Tesla. It is an option. But you do have to touch something. You are using the scroll wheel to make things happen and having to read the screen. With Apple Car Play it is 100% voice. You start out with “Hey Siri” and say who you want to text, what you want to say, then she reads it back and asks if you are ready to send. To which you say yes or no. Never touch or look at anything.

I find that Apple Car Play understands who I am wanting to send something to 100% of the time if they are in my contacts. I have literally had to rename some people who I text for Tesla to understand their name.

Still love Tesla and would choose it over any other option. But these are little annoyances.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
Upvote 0
Please forgive me for asking what some of you may feel is a basic question.

I hope that no one will chastise me for not searching all of the forums posts to find my answer. If I purchase a Tesla I will be a considerate contributor.

I have been a Mercedes driver for more than 40 years but after renting several Teslas in North America and Europe I'm interested in Abandoning Mercedes in favor of a Model X.

I've decided that I'm willing to give up Carplay because the Tesla interface works so well but Carplay handles texting using voice commands.

I've seen online offerings for a third-party application which allows Carplay to be used on the Tesla but I've never found those interfaces to work correctly.

I appreciate your patience and understanding in answering what may be a basic question to some of you.

Thank you

Phil

With the model X for S there is no reason to ever have to touch the screen. Neither do you have to look at the main screen to see the text. It shows up on the right of the binnacle in front of the driver. I had forgotten that you do actually have to click the right scroll button to send it, as it's become pretty automatic to me. I prefer that, but I've not tried the voice to send the option. Maybe if Tesla does add that I'll like it better!

I do like the option to be able to read the text back to me. Then I don't have to look at it to read it, I can just listen to it. The voice to text seems better to me than that of google's, but still has issues.

Upvote 0