Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone Charger Locator Apps & other options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
Thought I'd post a list of the apps I have on my iPhone to help me find places to charger should I need them when traveling. Mind you I haven't ventured more than about 30 miles from my house yet and thus have had no need to turn to the apps, but I think I have a nice selection that others might find useful to get or at least to pick and choose from, in no particular order:

1)PlugShare- Decent app and the best one, I think, for user added content. My home chargers are listed as are many other private residences. No route planning options, but you can search by charger type. They have a browser based option too that lets you really drill down by charger/outlet type. PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car!

2)Car Stations - A pretty app that shows potential and allows you to save and search favorites. Seems to be missing a lot of options, mostly listing commercial charger stations, but it is very customizable for the type of chargers you'd like it to show you (including Tesla). Electric Car Stations | Find Electric Charging Stations (also has an android app)

3)ChargePoint- Similar to Car Stations, web site allows you to sign up for a ChargePoint card, schedule reservations that can be charged to your account and tracks vehicle data on usage, will send you texts if charging is disrupted and such. Electric Vehicle Charging by ChargePoint

4)EVChargerFinder-Probably the least useful and least complete, pretty limited interface right now.

5)Cracker Barrel-Don't laugh...this is a preemptive purchase, we go to Cracker Barrel when traveling, but there was word that they planned to install chargers at all their locations. Not sure where that stands, but it's not a bad app if you're a Cracker Barrel fan and may be handy for charging one day.

6)ChargeBud-By Consumer Energy-Also less than ideal, but stashing it in case of future improvements.

7)Charge Map-by Open Charge Map--the same app used in the new Tesla Model S browser, can update and add locations via the app or online. This may be the up and comer and my future go-to app for chargers.

8)RVParks-By RVParking.com--shows lots and lots (> 20,000) of RV parks all over the US, many more than I knew of along my St.Louis route for instance. But one RV park right near where I live is not listed, so there certainly may be some spottiness to even this app. For most of the parks there are 'park details' that list what sort of hook-up service they have (20amp/50amp) and other services available, but some don't and you can't search by service type at this point. Still this may be one of the best 'oh crap' apps for you if you have a trip planned and find you're going to come up short of your intended destination on range so you can get decent emergency power.

9)Blink-Another pay-as-you-go card, this lists mostly just Blink Network Chargers, but if it's what you use then it's probably a good choice. Also as an android app.

10)KOA- They don't have an app out yet (not sure why, would be great), but the online KOA Trip Planner is great since you can plan a route and it will show all the KOAs along the way along with what services they have. Most are nice with wifi, pool, snack bars, etc and currently most are charging a fixed price of $10 to charge for EVs. I am able to use this on the Model S browser too since it's not flash based.

11)ReCargo-Recargo is another broad based searchable site, not really better than any of the above and allows you to enter your home/private locations.

12)US Department of Energy-Has a remarkably complete searchable map (no app, just online). They won't take personal information either, but you can add public chargers to the database.

13)Allstays Camp and RV - Recommended by TMC member dsm363. Appears to be very complete, but now costs $10. Have not personally tried it yet. Available for iOS and Android. *edit-have now tried it a bit (see posts below), it is quite complete listing lots of 50amp chargers not found on any of the EV apps or even the other RV app. Great options to filter by 50 amp and a multitude of other filters.

14)EV Trip Planner - Really good, and getting better all the time. Takes into account your cabin temp, cargo load, elevation change, provides a route and some information about charging along your planned route. There is also a version specifically for in-vehicle (Tesla Monitor) use.

I'm sure there are a ton more apps out there, and there are some I just rejected after looking at them or reading the reviews. If there are others people like, please do add them to this thread, I can try to add to this post or perhaps we can create a wiki at some point.

Also a nice informational article about how to find chargers in the wild here: Maps Apps: How to Find Charging Stations in the Wild | PluginCars.com

Last edited:
5)Cracker Barrel-Don't laugh...this is a preemptive purchase, we go to Cracker Barrel when traveling, but there was word that they planned to install chargers at all their locations. Not sure where that stands, but it's not a bad app if you're a Cracker Barrel fan and may be handy for charging one day.

Most of the Cracker Barrels here in middle Tennessee (and there are a lot) already have Blink network chargers installed. I've been shocked at the number of public chargers in Tennessee now that I've started looking. This isn't exactly the most progressive of states, so it's been a nice surprise. :)

Most of the Cracker Barrels here in middle Tennessee (and there are a lot) already have Blink network chargers installed. I've been shocked at the number of public chargers in Tennessee now that I've started looking. This isn't exactly the most progressive of states, so it's been a nice surprise. :)

I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the fact that the Nissan Leaf is built exclusively (for US sales) in your state.

13)Allstays Camp and RV
I just downloaded the Allstays Camp and RV app and was able to filter by "50 Amp" which provided me with a good start for planning my first road trip. Naturally, I want to go from San Jose to Santa Barbara and only have one Supercharger on the route--and its 30 miles from my house. I give the app a good recommendation.

13)Allstays Camp and RV
I just downloaded the Allstays Camp and RV app and was able to filter by "50 Amp" which provided me with a good start for planning my first road trip. Naturally, I want to go from San Jose to Santa Barbara and only have one Supercharger on the route--and its 30 miles from my house. I give the app a good recommendation.

I played with the filters a bit the other day and suddenly all the RV locations disappeared. I think I need to figure out how to implement them better, but the filters are an excellent tool. There was a link to suggest apps on the Allstays web page and I wrote an email last night suggesting 2 options...one to create an EV specific app (my preference, but obviously more work) taking some of the features of the Allstays as well as implementing some of the good features of the other good EV apps, though none are as complete as I think any of us would like. With the Allstays I found almost a dozen new locations to charge along my standard Nixa to St.Louis route that no other app has ever listed. But the Allstays doesn't really list EV chargers and it doesn't address which RV parks permit EV charging or what fees and conditions apply.

I had e-mailed the Allstays developer before about not resetting the filters (50A filter in this case) each time the app is restarted and he didn't think the RV people would like that so think maybe a separate EV app from them would be a great idea.

Anyone found an app that shows hotels with RV hookups? Heard over the weekend that the Westin at the Domain in Austin may have RV hookups - where they charged the cars during the Austin Get Amped event.

I'm hoping to get my Model S in Feb/Mar - and trying to figure out how I can to Houston-to-Austin trips with an overnight stay somewhere that I can charge - at least until there's a Supercharger (Columbus?).

An app to show hotels with charging (either EV or RV) would be very helpful...

Anyone found an app that shows hotels with RV hookups? Heard over the weekend that the Westin at the Domain in Austin may have RV hookups - where they charged the cars during the Austin Get Amped event.

I'm hoping to get my Model S in Feb/Mar - and trying to figure out how I can to Houston-to-Austin trips with an overnight stay somewhere that I can charge - at least until there's a Supercharger (Columbus?).

All stays has the hotels with RV chargers. I think you'll need one of the other EV specific apps for EV chargers.

Check out
Hotel/Airport parking in Texas with Charging Stations

Austin Hilton should have working J1772 charger but call first to double check.

Agreed... unlike the other apps however, Open Charge Map is actually open so all contributions are available to the community for ever :smile:

I had a look at Open Charge Map, and it has only a fraction of the charging stations I know to be in my area. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to keep Recargo, Plugshare, Open Charge Map, CarStations, Sun Country, KOA etc. etc. bookmarked just to make sure. Really wish there was one difinitive source, but that doesn't seem to be the case... yet.

ttp://youtube.googleapis.com/v/CCx8FUKNgNo

It is a pilot program and the 24 Cracker Barrel locations with charging stations are in Tennessee because Nissan manufactures the Leaf in Tennessee.

Last edited: