Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, if you have driven a manual in a low gear, it isn't that far from regenerative braking. In general, regen is stronger, though, especially at higher speeds and higher gears.
Electric cars have multiple gears? Whatever.
When I downshift on hills with my 5 speed and 3 speed trucks, it is much stronger than regen, depending on what gear I choose. And I do this all the time, especially in winter.

What are the statistics showing excessive rear ending of cars with regen? I think this is a made up problem.

Although wife and I drive two Teslas I like the looks of the Ioniq 5. Not enough to buy one, but still, nice car.

Rich
It's really crazy how subjective looks are. I was so prepared to love the looks of the Ioniq 5 because most people love it but all I see is a station wagon trying too hard. I admit that I'm in a small minority here and that objectively the design is a huge success, but my wife didn't like it either. It certainly wouldn't stop me from buying it because at least it is not boring looking which I appreciate. I also appreciate that there are cars that don't all look the same -- makes driving around more interesting.

From the pictures I really like the looks of the Ioniq 6, again, in the minority here. I'm not saying I love the back but I don't hate it like most seem to either (from pictures only in this case).

Kia and Hyundai are making some cool cars though, and it's great that Tesla has viable competition. It can only make for better EVs in the future.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I saw this video about brake light operation in EVs today and the guy talking happened to drive an Ioniq5 and he noted that in i-pedal mode, the brake light doesn't come on until the foot is completely lifted off the accelerator pedal. He found it to be absurd and once he realized it he stopped using i-pedal mode for safety reasons. I'm curious if any Ioniq5 owners have noticed that? It does seem pretty sketchy if true.
There is several threads about this in the Ioniq forums and this is an issue compared to how Tesla handles regen braking and the brake light (the brake lights come on during some type of slowdown in a Tesla but I'm not sure if there is a threshold but you can see they do light in the visualization section).

I haven't been able to test it myself (would require either someone to follow me or my own GoPro set up) but I don't doubt the video is true.

But as someone else said, back when there were more manual cars, there was no brake lights on downshifting either so it's not that much different.

Electric cars have multiple gears? Whatever.
When I downshift on hills with my 5 speed and 3 speed trucks, it is much stronger than regen, depending on what gear I choose. And I do this all the time, especially in winter.

What are the statistics showing excessive rear ending of cars with regen? I think this is a made up problem.
Fair enough. I never downshift aggressively enough for the slowdown to be strong on a six speed. Obviously I could though.

I'd find it weird to be behind an EV driver using the car normally and not seeing brake lights. I guess that's why most of them do engage the brake lights.

Reactions: gtae07 and DrGriz
Another YouTube video tried to replicate the brake light problem found it was pretty specific but dangerous. When the car’s regen is set to level 2 and they decelerated to full stop one pedal driving the brake light didn’t come on until it came to a full stop (I assume the real brakes come on then and trigger the light). Regen level 3, light came on appropriately. It was repeatable, they ran it multiple times with a GoPro on the back watching the light, specific to regen 2, I assume a software fix. Of course I could be wrong twice in one paragraph. :)

Their point was why wasn’t this a recall.

Edit: only a weenie would put it on level 2 anyway. No reported accidents due to it so far.

Going on week 4 of my Ioniq 5.

Still wish I had the 360 camera (only available on the Limited trim, I have the SEL) but having BSM and cross-traffic alerts again is nice.

It doesn't default to one pedal driving (i-Pedal is what Hyundai calls is) but it's one click away (much like my Leaf) and I actually like being able to control regen while driving much like paddle shifters on today's automatics. Being able to coast on the freeway again feels more natural (Regen 0) and never figured out how to do that in the Model Y.

Some of the UI/UX stuff is annoying and there is something to be said about Tesla's all in one interface but it really just becomes a habit although moving from car to car is easier with the Ioniq (since we have 3 other cars in the family that I will drive occasionally).

Seating space is larger, both front and back (kids commented on that) and the ride is really noticeable better (now that I've driven it more). But again, that is subjective depending on what type of cars you drive.

Charging has been good... no issues with the EA chargers near me... although you sort of have to know when it's busiest and plan. It's nice to see a lot of different cars every time I charge, but because of the free EA charging, it's mostly ID.4s, Hyundai/Kia, MBZ and some occasional Fords. I've seen more EQS than I thought (don't those ballers have L2 charging at home?).

And I think I've said this before, but this really is a hatchback more than a CUV/SUV. It's too low and not "beefy" enough.

I test drove Ioniq 5 and EV6. Both are built on same platforms but I felt EV6 was better. I was cross shopping with Tesla model Y and I almost bought EV6. What scared me was ICCU failures. Looked at EV6 forums and some 2022 models was having these failures which crossed 13k miles. No one knows about 2023 models as they have to be on road for more time.

When I went to dealership to close the deal on EV6 GT line, I noticed a small paint damage and requested another car. They said another car is not charging and it's in shop waiting for Kia Engineers. That's definitely ICCU related issue. I backed off and placed order on Tesla as it's proven and are on road for more than 10yrs. I never like K/H ICE cars as their engines are least reliable but felt EVs should be great as Koreans know electronics but it's proven again that K/H vehicles are always unreliable and can break down anytime

I think all cars have their issues and the 22/23 models will probably be more prone just like the early Tesla models.

I only lease my cars so I'm not worried about long term reliability as I think there will be something better in 2-5 years... that being said... my Model Y was basically bulletproof. Main screen glitched out a few times and radio would not work sometimes but all in all.. never really had to take it in for service other than the initial adjustment to the front quarter mirror panel and when I had to replace a cracked windhshield.

My experience with Telsa has been good... I just wanted a different car and I got tired of so many Ys on the road. I'll get bored of the Ioniq too... but maybe by then there will be more choices.

Reactions: KevinT3141
The ICCU issue is getting more airplay...

A series of complaints is raising safety concerns about Hyundai's popular electric SUV.

U.S. owners of the Ioniq 5 electric SUV have complained of completely or partially losing propulsive power, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Many have said the loss of power came after hearing a loud popping noise.

Hyundai said it would offer a software update beginning next month and replace affected components if necessary.

Reactions: Sai Ko
Saw this news this morning. It's from Fox news so not a good source but the problem is there
what is a good source then?
These?

I saw multiple complaints on EV6 forums and Ioniq forums. That's my main reason to go for Tesla as I don't trust Korean companies much. For me Japanese always comes first and later German companies. The only reason I went with Tesla is because the power train is proven and they are out for more than 10yrs

I saw multiple complaints on EV6 forums and Ioniq forums. That's my main reason to go for Tesla as I don't trust Korean companies much. For me Japanese always comes first and later German companies. The only reason I went with Tesla is because the power train is proven and they are out for more than 10yrs
I'm active on the EV6 forums and this is not an EV6 problem. I've seen one complain in the last year of power loss on highway.

ICCU failures are related to charging failures, not power loss on highway. They have to replace those control boards. Tesla has the same issue on the 2018 Model 3 for their AC chargers. First year bugs. 12V issues have mostly been resolved too.

It’s not like the engines blowing up in their ICEs. They have long lead times sometimes due to parts availability though. It’s a new platform.

Hyundai themselves said the power loss is related to ICCU failures
Not disputing that but if you read through the EV6 ICCU thread, the issue for them is primarily related to charging and it’s a pretty rare issue. One person did complain of turtle mode but seems the Ioniq 5 has more serious issues.

Ioniq and MachE have a lot of problems from what I have read. But, that is skewed since it's all internet chatter.
Tesla has had quite a few as well.
All EV's will get press because it gets clicks and ad revenue. The anti-ev stance plays to a receptive audience that loves to comment and interact with these type of clickbait articles. So, the more popular these kinds of articles are- even though they are highly misleading and intentionally clickbait- the more they will continue.
Media outlets don't care about the content. They care about ad revenue.