Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the subject of "cheap" interior of the MY, I wonder if people find it cheap because of the minimalism or because they feel that the material is genuinely cheap? In my opinion the refreshed MY interior (21 and up) with the matte center console does not FEEL cheap. Everything feels solid to me, and the trim pieces that look like metal are actually metal. I personally don't equate plain with cheapness. I drive my mom's Audi fat etron (very luxurious) a lot, and jumping between it and my MYP, I don't feel a sense of big downgrade in terms of material quality, but maybe that's just me.

I've only test driven the Ioniq5 for like 4 minutes at 20MPH, and sat in it for a few minutes at a car show, so I don't remember too much about it. But I remember thinking that it was pretty decent.

As for the GV60, I'd love to check it out someday. I did see a review that mentioned that most of the metal looking bits are actually plastic (I believe it's the same with the Lyriq), so the luxuriousness takes a hit when you start touching stuff.

On the subject of "cheap" interior of the MY, I wonder if people find it cheap because of the minimalism or because they feel that the material is genuinely cheap? In my opinion the refreshed MY interior (21 and up) with the matte center console does not FEEL cheap. Everything feels solid to me, and the trim pieces that look like metal are actually metal. I personally don't equate plain with cheapness. I drive my mom's Audi fat etron (very luxurious) a lot, and jumping between it and my MYP, I don't feel a sense of big downgrade in terms of material quality, but maybe that's just me.

I've only test driven the Ioniq5 for like 4 minutes at 20MPH, and sat in it for a few minutes at a car show, so I don't remember too much about it. But I remember thinking that it was pretty decent.

As for the GV60, I'd love to check it out someday. I did see a review that mentioned that most of the metal looking bits are actually plastic (I believe it's the same with the Lyriq), so the luxuriousness takes a hit when you start touching stuff.

Others have said it better than me but you have to compare price ranges.

The $45K SE and $49K SEL (Ioniq 5 trims) are vastly inferior to the interiors of the Hyundai Palisade or Kia Telluride at the same prices. The latter are luxurious compared to the EVs. The base SE is so bad (cloth seats) that I would compare it to lower trim Toyotas and VWs. Tesla interiors are vastly better than that trim for sure.

The Lyriq, GV60, Ariya, i4 have interiors worthy of ICE cars in the near their price range. Audio too. The Ioniq 5 stereo system is fine for a $30K car but not for a $50K car.

I feel like the minimalism is what throws a lot of people off. There's no other way that someone can get in and compare it to an old base model Kia, which is something that I see from some in their initial impressions. The material quality in the Y is nice, and I honestly think its comparable with the 40-50k cars from someone like BMW.

The challenge for the last year or so has been that Tesla has bumped themselves up into the 65-75k segment. It feels much less competitive with some of those, IMO. I expect things like ventilated seats and adjustable suspension at those price points.

Reactions: cusetownusa

It's cheap because of the amount of hard touch plastic Tesla uses in their cabins. The center console for example is all plastic along the sides making it uncomfortable if your knee rests against it, the entire back of the front seats are plastic with no pockets, and the trim where the seatbelts rest are plastic which means they rattle when hitting against them. Those are just a few examples of where the interior is seriously lacking.

You can have a minimal interior which is fine but what Tesla has is a minimal interior and cheap interior.

It's cheap because of the amount of hard touch plastic Tesla uses in their cabins. The center console for example is all plastic along the sides making it uncomfortable if your knee rests against it, the entire back of the front seats are plastic with no pockets, and the trim where the seatbelts rest are plastic which means they rattle when hitting against them. Those are just a few examples of where the interior is seriously lacking.

You can have a minimal interior which is fine but what Tesla has is a minimal interior and cheap interior.
Those areas you described, I have not been in any cars without plastic, especially B pillars. Back of front seats have back pockets. Many manufactures use plastic or fake carbon fiber on the back of the seats these days. Not sure what center console that makes you uncomfortable.
MYs don't have the fantastic interior pieces like Audi cars, but it is not cheap plastic everywhere either.

Reactions: WyoDude
Those areas you described, I have not been in any cars without plastic, especially B pillars. Back of front seats have back pockets. Many manufactures use plastic or fake carbon fiber on the back of the seats these days. Not sure what center console that makes you uncomfortable.
MYs don't have the fantastic interior pieces like Audi cars, but it is not cheap plastic everywhere either.
Well I haven't been in many cars to compare the amount of plastic but is the MY really a $70k interior?

I think people are foolish to purchase a vehicle at any price without doing due diligence. If the quality of the interior materials are of significant importance that should have been easily noted before buying with even a cursory inspection. Suspension not to your liking? "Boomy" sounding? Why did you buy it? If you rushed into the purchase that's on you, no one else. To proceed with the purchase anyway and then complain incessantly? Why? Get something you're happy with and move on, life's too short to drive something you don't like. I know there are several features and improvements I'd like but I haven't found a better total package, including the charging options, than the MY. If/when I do you can bet I'll buy it! :cool:

How could you have not known this before purchasing the car? You did look at one and test drive one didn't you?
If it wasn't up to your standards, why did you buy it?

Reactions: WyoDude and DrGriz
How could you have not known this before purchasing the car? You did look at one and test drive one didn't you?
If it wasn't up to your standards, why did you buy it?
I did know this beforehand(I owned a SR MY for a year) but I went for the MYP due to its performance, tech, styling, OTA updates and charging capabilities. I'm not disappointed but I would like features that come with cheaper vehicles such as ventilated seats, birds eye camera, etc.

That said I still wouldn't get a different EV until a competitor can match and beat what the MYP offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennisis
I did know this beforehand(I owned a SR MY for a year) but I went for the MYP due to its performance, tech, styling, OTA updates and charging capabilities. I'm not disappointed but I would like features that come with cheaper vehicles such as ventilated seats, birds eye camera, etc.

That said I still wouldn't get a different EV until a competitor can match and beat what the MYP offers.
I totally agree with this, I would like some of the other amenities as well, but all in all, I wouldn't switch either until there is a competitor that can compete in a total way that better fits my use case.

Miles per minute is the right way to compare charging. It takes into account charging speed (kW) and efficiency (mi/kWh). So while some cars are more efficient, charging speed can make up for it (though it will generally cost more per mile)
that term still requires more definition, as charging speeds vary by SoC and temp. and efficiency does as well. EPA miles? Miles at 70mph?

Since this is really about road trips, let's make it a range based on power consumption at 65 and 80 mph, and the time it takes to charge 10-80% at 60F (15C). Since some models can make use of the EA 350KW chargers, that should be used for both, unless someone feels the Tesla SC is more efficient.

One other quibble that could be raised is the time lost authenticating/paying at the non SC charging stations. Is it less than a minute, or a couple? (Let's be nice and presume it's working.) I like the opinion that the CCS chargers should start delivering power while they do the billing auth.

The model Y is a superb car.