Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory cars, same price as ordering brand new

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also got a $28,000 discount on a demo Model S 85.

EQUATION FOR DISCOUNT:
There is actually a formula for the discounts and the car sells when the number makes sense to a buyer. In Canada, the discount is $0.50/km on the odometer and 1% off the sticker price for every month from the manufacture date (doubled to 2% of you are in the right place at the right time).

My car was built in January 2014 and had 16,000km. I test drove around in October 2014 (just prior to "D" and autopilot announcements). So, the discount at that time was $8,000 for mileage and $10,000 for age. It hadn't sold because it was involved in a collision and nobody had yet found the discount worthwhile.

The showroom called a week later to say Tesla had increased the discount to 2% per month. The reason being a demo car without autopilot was obsolete. That increased the overall discount to $28,000 and a purchase price of $72,000 CAD.

It is worth noting the car is "brand new" on paper with full warranty. Moreover, the collision repair was done by the manufacturer prior to retail sale and is therefore not reported on any CarFax report. So, resale value was not effected. I really could have bought the car and sold it immediately on the private market for a $10,000 profit.

Anways, there is no negotiating with Tesla on a demo and not because of demand or price fixing. The mathematic formula keeps dropping the price until someone finds it worthwhile. That may be $500 on an essentially new car to $28,000 on a 'damaged' car.

It was inventory, not CPO, no damage, 11000km (6800miles) 12 months old. was also a discontinued model (P85+) in a discontinued colour (green) and had been sitting on the CPO site for over a month unsold with a small price drop each week. if it helps any the discount was in Canadian dollars which aren't worth as much as your US dollars, but it was actually more than the $27,000 effectively, because the price of new cars also went up and that wasn't factored in to the price used for the discount calculations.

I'm fully willing to admit I got an amazing deal, and it just happened to be the perfect config for me too, right down to the colours (always wanted the green!)

Nice. That's a rare car. If it has AP it's a full blown unicorn.

I was able to see cars on ev-cpo that my local Tesla sales rep never mentioned. I actually asked the Tesla rep to check inventory for me the day before I purchased and in her evening note she said nothing I was looking for was available, yet first thing the next morning it popped on ev-cpo. On the flip side there were higher spec cars she would send to me that I never saw on ev-cpo. Bottom line is that ev-cpo gave me the confidence to know what was really out there while with the Tesla sales rep I felt like I was getting upsold.

The key for me was to realize that by registering (for free) on ev-cpo I would be able to filter my search. If you pay $4 then you're also able to check the history, potentially helping you get a sense of potential discounts.

Nice. That's a rare car. If it has AP it's a full blown unicorn.
It has AP.

- - - Updated - - -

Does ev-cpo.com (paid service) get you access to most/all inventory cars that Tesla has? i.e. Is it the same as asking a DS to look it up?
No, ev-cpo only scrapes the public Tesla website and consolidates all those cars in to one place. Many service centres do not list their inventory cars on that site, so if you don't see something you like on ev-cpo, it's still worth asking Tesla, and worse yet, you have to ask each store individually, because although they say they can check other stores, they still manage to find different cars at each store you ask...

- - - Updated - - -

I was able to see cars on ev-cpo that my local Tesla sales rep never mentioned.
And this is the part that boggles the mind, ev-cpo is taking from Tesla's public website, there's no excuse for the Tesla reps not to be able to see it! the car I bought was completely unmentioned by my local Tesla rep, or by the rep in Vancouver, both only listed inventory cars located in western Canada and assured me that was everything, I had to point this one out to them, they first told me it didn't exist (because who ever believes that a P85+ with AutoPilot exists?) but once I showed them the link on the Tesla website they helped me arrange to get it.