Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent LTE/3G reception - anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving on 401 between Mississauga and Markham road almost daily and notice the cell signal has gone really bad recently

I often saw 3G and never saw Lte Until reboot MCU

Ending up just turn on the hotspot on the phone and share to the car. Much faster and stable now
I doubt that this is cell signal issue - I am guessing that is just a bug with the car since people don't have this issue with their phones and their phones are using the same wireless network.

Reactions: Gabbleratchet7
Have a upcoming appointment fixing front trunk latch

And chatting with the service guy at Lawrence today

They said it’s carrier issue, Tesla and att are looking into it

Hopefully soon, and I wish they can replace it with local sim so that it would be faster and stable

I had issues with my LTE for months after delivery. Would go away randomly in the city or while driving on the highway, and not return unless computer was rebooted. This was happening daily. They kept asking me to take screenshots with time/date info, and then one day it was just magically fixed... was told it was some firmware issue... but not sure how firmware gets updated with no notification. Have not had issues with LTE loss for months now. Reaching out to Tesla and following their instructions helps. I was getting frustrated with things, but then it just got fixed. I felt as though sending them random emails with pictures of my screen was a make work project. But it worked in the end!

• Informative
This happens in all sorts of different areas right in the heart of Toronto, along the 401, along the 403, etc and I never see my phone lose a signal in this way. (My phone co is now Telus but I used to be Rogers and I had the same results with Rogers).

I am guessing that the issue continues to be problems relating to the fact that Canadian Teslas are technically roaming while in Canada as we have AT&T SIM cards, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

HIGHLY recommend to contact Tesla. I had this issue ongoing for about 5 months when I first got the car. Sent them many time-stamped pictures of the screen when it happened. Allowed them to go through my logs, and one day it was magically fixed. Have had it happen maybe 3x in the last 6 months. Was near daily before things got fixed.

• Informative
When you read articles about 5G one of the benefits often mentioned is that the processing for autonomous driving being done in the cloud. That scares the bejeezus out of me given the lack of reliability in the LTE signal of my Tesla.

don't have this issue with their phones
This issue happens with phones, dropped calls and bad reception of the conversation. Happens all the time. I don't think this issue is generally a bug at all. Its dead/weak spots that still widely exist between towers etc.

"Can you hear me, can your hear me now, how about now"

We all just need to face facts here, we think we are driving something perfect, its not perfect, never will be perfect. Thats just the way it is. Nothing is perfect.

Its damn good though. Fun, fast, reliable, safe, clean, dependable, expensive, unfortunately no where else to turn, Electric from now on.

Last edited:
This issue is way worse with my car than with my phone. Yes I get dropped calls and the very occasional data outage but I don't lose LTE service for 5 minutes or more on a regular basis with my phone.

When this happens my LTE will drop to 1 bar. Then it will drop to 3G. Then it will drop to Edge. Then I will have no signal for a while. After 4-5 minutes it will usually come back. If I am listening to Slacker at the time, which I normally am, then I will have no music for 5 minutes or so unless I switch to FM radio. All the while my phone will still have a good cell signal.

This appears to be more of a local Canadian issue as our cars seem to have AT&T SIMs and are technically roaming while in Canada.

while in Canada.
I get it in Orlando, slacker stops working, the rest of this checking the LTE strength I have never done. Around where I live LTE often on one bar. Yes ATT here as well. ORLANDO, which is pretty much suburbia on steroids. Of course I am visiting when it happens. Its the only place slacker has cut out on me.
Of course I was showing others how great the sound system is in my car when it happened.