Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance question in a pinch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a 2nd tesla and added it to my Tesla insurance via the app. It says “there’s a pending change to your policy…” and it when I look at the details it doesn’t appear to reflect the 2nd vehicle yet. I’m paranoid about making a long drive home with it , when I don’t have confirmed coverage. I tried calling tesla insurance but they are now closed for the weekend. I could use some advice.

Rant: I tried to add it earlier in the day but the previous owner couldn’t free himself in time to do the app transfer before Tesla office closed.

I would agree with you except that none of my documentation for tesla insurance explicitly mentions grace period like all my other auto insurances do. And based on many past experiences with tesla in general never assume anything. They weasel their way out of any claim even ones that are clear ARE supposed to be covered. The potential for expensive lesson here far outweighs the downside of being extra careful

Also note ca has a law that provides 30 day grace period for insurance that people wrongly interpret as what you’re suggesting. That law just means you won’t get in trouble with the state if you don’t get insurance in the first 30 days. Insurance coverage to new cars is on a company to company basis. And since there is nothing in documents that I can find that explicitly lists those terms for tesla insurance , for now it’s assumed they do not have one n

Just putting some additional info here for posterity. This applies to my Tesla Insurance policy in CA dunno if it's the same for elsewhere, but I got ahold of a rep at Tesla Ins and found the provision in my Declarations page that does explicitly state that it will indeed automatically cover any vehicle purchased for 30 days:

1698153436972.png

For future reference, I’ve never come across an auto policy that doesn’t automatically cover new car purchases for at least 7 days or so. There’s no reason to have it added to your policy before you drive off the lot.

This applies if you replace one car with another. I am pretty sure if you add a car there is no coverage until you add it to an existing or new policy. (?)