Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Instrument cluster replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, so the sun was beating down on my instrument cluster this afternoon for an hour and when I got back into the car, the screen had a dark orange tinge to it. I didn't do anything and let it cool down for a few hours, then when I did a reboot, the screen was white and the display, although readable, was very faint so I think I've cooked it.

I've asked Tesla for a quote, but I just know it's going to be '000s does anyone know if a salvage part will go straight in, or will it need Tesla to code it etc etc? Car has done 100k miles and is 5+ years old.

I'm in the UK, so didn't expect the sun to have done this, but it was particularly strong this afternoon.

Seems I was a little premature. I went for a long drive and it’s started to come back!

82A2348F-6188-4B57-90DC-070EB714A880.jpeg

I would first try a reboot (hold both scroll wheels in) to see if it might be a software issue, although I suspect not.

You didn't state what year or MCU you have. If an older car with MCU1, it might be worth considering an MCU2 retrofit. It replaces both screens with improved ones, and the computer is significantly faster. Quite a few features are also available with MCU2. If you're not sure what MCU you have, Go to Controls -> Software. You can tap a link to show the hardware. Intel/Atom is MCU2 and Nividia is MCU1. You can also run my MCU tester from the browser in the car: MCU Tester – TeslaTap