Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Wall Connector is better than NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@davewill I am going to have to begrudgingly admit that @gt2690b is correct here, although I really don't like it.

Yes, the wall connector installation instructions say to not use a GFCI breaker. But some of the newer stuff in NEC 2020 goes waaayyy overboard with requiring GFCI all over the freaking place, and the wording of it does seem to include hard wired EV charging equipment if it is outdoors.

You could technically make the case that there is an unavoidable conflict of wording here with no correct answer. Code has the catch-all that says you must follow the manufacturer's installation instructions--so no GFCI. But Code also says it must have GFCI. So which do you do? Well, you try to convince an inspector of whichever you would prefer to do, since neither answer is clearly correct.

Reactions: davewill
@davewill I am going to have to begrudgingly admit that @gt2690b is correct here, although I really don't like it.

Yes, the wall connector installation instructions say to not use a GFCI breaker. But some of the newer stuff in NEC 2020 goes waaayyy overboard with requiring GFCI all over the freaking place, and the wording of it does seem to include hard wired EV charging equipment if it is outdoors.

You could technically make the case that there is an unavoidable conflict of wording here with no correct answer. Code has the catch-all that says you must follow the manufacturer's installation instructions--so no GFCI. But Code also says it must have GFCI. So which do you do? Well, you try to convince an inspector of whichever you would prefer to do, since neither answer is clearly correct.
I'll believe when I hear about inspectors requiring it. Until then it's just some guy on the internet.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and gt2690b

I agree the code is overboard but a loose or wet wire with compromised insulation in an RGS conduit going to the HPWC could potentially kill someone... hopefully the next version of the code provides clarification

There will be those that swear installing a 14-50 and using the cheaper mobile connector is fine and I think regardless of what anyone else says those folks will not be convinced otherwise. Even when charging is frequently interrupted by a tripping GFCI breaker.

When your making a $60,000 investment in an EV spend the extra couple hundred on a proper home charging setup installed properly and rest assured there will be no issues moving forward.

Uhhh because it is fine.
I've been charging my 2015 Model S daily this way for numerous years without a single issue. 2000 overnight charge sessions and 100,000 miles and later and not a single issue.

I must have missed something early on in this thread.

Can someone tell me where the NEC requires a GFCI-protected circuit for a hardwired EVSE. The 2023 NEC has no requirement in Art. 625.
Look up thread, it's not in 625, it's in 210.8(F) and covers all outdoor "outlets" 50A or less (not charging specifically):

Look up thread, it's not in 625, it's in 210.8(F) and covers all outdoor "outlets" 50A or less (not charging specifically):

That references outlets, not hard wired.

I must have missed something early on in this thread.

Can someone tell me where the NEC requires a GFCI-protected circuit for a hardwired EVSE. The 2023 NEC has no requirement in Art. 625.
I haven’t found anything on hard wired either. 625 only references outlets or receptacles.

That references outlets, not hard wired.

I haven’t found anything on hard wired either. 625 only references outlets or receptacles.
See the discussion, an EVSE is still considered an "outlet" under NECs definition. An example given are air conditioning units, they are all hardwired, but are still considered "outlets". In fact that provision was specifically to address accidents that happened with those.

Article referenced in that comment specifically addresses the difference between "outlet" and "receptacle":

An “Outlet”, according to the NEC® Article 100 definition, is a point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

Many people make the mistake of thinking that only receptacles can be “outlets”. A receptacle is one kind of outlet, but so is a hard-wired connection such as a smoke detector, or a surface mounted luminaire, or even the point on an outdoor air conditioner system where the circuit connects to the disconnecting means supplying the AC unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: gt2690b
See the discussion, an EVSE is still considered an "outlet" under NECs definition. An example given are air conditioning units, they are all hardwired, but are still considered "outlets". In fact that provision was specifically to address accidents that happened with those.

Article referenced in that comment specifically addresses the difference between "outlet" and "receptacle":
With that being said, the GFCI protection under 625.54 states “receptacle”. I could not find any mention of an outlet. It states receptacles because a person (625.54 (D)) can easily come into contact with a live conductor when plugging in or removing the plug while standing barefoot in a damp or wet location. A hard wired wall connector does not expose people to live circuits on a daily basis without requiring some kind of tool to do so.
I have yet to see a wall connector denied on inspection because it didn’t have a GFCI. Ironically, I set my welder next to my 14-50 receptacle and it passed without a second guess. Welders must me considered safer than EV owners. 😂

Reactions: KevinT3141
With that being said, the GFCI protection under 625.54 states “receptacle”. I could not find any mention of an outlet. It states receptacles because a person (625.54 (D)) can easily come into contact with a live conductor when plugging in or removing the plug while standing barefoot in a damp or wet location. A hard wired wall connector does not expose people to live circuits on a daily basis without requiring some kind of tool to do so.
The 210.8(F) covers outdoor equipment, which includes the wall connector if it is installed outside. The problem is even with a hardwire, a wire can sometimes be connected to the case by accident and that have shocked people. The code doesn't make an exception for EVSEs (or non-conductive cases).
I have yet to see a wall connector denied on inspection because it didn’t have a GFCI. Ironically, I set my welder next to my 14-50 receptacle and it passed without a second guess. Welders must me considered safer than EV owners. 😂
Welders are not required to have GFCI, the 625 covers EVSEs.

Reactions: gt2690b
The 210.8(F) covers outdoor equipment, which includes the wall connector if it is installed outside. The problem is even with a hardwire, a wire can sometimes be connected to the case by accident and that have shocked people. The code doesn't make an exception for EVSEs (or non-conductive cases).

Welders are not required to have GFCI, the 625 covers EVSEs.
I didn't refer to 210.8(F) - Outdoor equipment, and yes, all outdoor outlets are required to be GFCI protected. The original question was referring to 625, which is indoor locations while 210.8 is referred to for outdoor locations.

I know what 625 refers to. In layman's terms, the potential risk for a welder and a portable connector are the same but they have two different standards was what I was implying.

I didn't refer to 210.8(F) - Outdoor equipment, and yes, all outdoor outlets are required to be GFCI protected. The original question was referring to 625, which is indoor locations while 210.8 is referred to for outdoor locations.
The original question I responded to did not refer to indoor or outdoor locations, it was just a general question on where the NEC requires a GFCI breaker for a hardwired EVSE, and that's the section that does if you install one outside.

I know what 625 refers to. In layman's terms, the potential risk for a welder and a portable connector are the same but they have two different standards was what I was implying.
The welder exception is an existing carry over to make a reasonable exception for a niche application for a presumably more skilled person. The risks are not the same with an EVSE because they are going to be used by everyone, more likely to be used everyday, plugged/unplugged frequently (especially a 110V outlet), with person typically coming from outside (returning home) with increased risk of being wet.

Same exception with sockets used for appliances like stoves or dryers. Those will be typically plugged into a location blocked by the appliance and probably remain plugged in for the rest of their useful life, so the risks are very different from using one for a EVSE, even though the plug may be the same.

Uhhh because it is fine.
I've been charging my 2015 Model S daily this way for numerous years without a single issue. 2000 overnight charge sessions and 100,000 miles and later and not a single issue.
I'm realizing there's discussion in this thread about indoor vs outdoor installations. I just want to point out that when I say using a Mobile Connector for daily use is fine, I'm talking about for an indoor application. Not sure sure it would hold up for outdoor use.