Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installation next week; Anything I should talk to them about or check before they leave?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you plan to have a wired Ethernet connection to manage the Powerwalls and Solar inverter, then you should have that setup and ready for them to pull through conduit. Remember that electrical code requires shielded Ethernet, at least the stuff that the installers pull throughout conduit and panels.

If you plan to use WiFi, make sure the installation area has a good signal.

If you have not yet considered networking, then uh oh! 😱

By default, installers will do the minimum work, which is leave it to built-in cellular Internet. But you will get slower reporting on your equipment because Tesla and the solar are paying the cellular bill and will throttle traffic to save money.

If there is exposed conduit, you may want to have color matched paint available for them. Especially on the roof, where some homeowners might be nervous going up their to paint. Also, the last thing you need is an accident with spray paint on your new panels.

The installers don’t have time to bring paint chips to the hardware store to get just the right shade.

The conduit catches the light and stands out unless your house has stainless steel roof and walls. 😜

Last edited:
If you plan to have a wired Ethernet connection to manage the Powerwalls and Solar inverter, then you should have that setup and ready for them to pull through conduit. Remember that electrical code requires shielded Ethernet, at least the stuff that the installers pull throughout conduit and panels.

If you plan to use WiFi, make sure the installation area has a good signal.

If you have not yet considered networking, then uh oh! 😱

By default, installers will do the minimum work, which is leave it to built-in cellular Internet. But you will get slower reporting on your equipment because Tesla and the solar are paying the cellular bill and will throttle traffic to save money.
I plan to use WiFi and the router is on the same side of the house as the Powerwalls so hopefully it works well.

I'd suggest that you get an explanation of what panels are attached to which strings. You will have your Tesla design, however installers sometimes alter the design to make the install easier (and maybe not to your best benefit). Knowing which panels are on which strings will be handy in the future. Make sure you write it down or print the part of the plan where it shows the panels on your roof so you can mark it up.

My installers said no to painting, but they did go to the store and get paintable caulk to use on the house penetrations. I wasn't too concerned about the small amount of roof conduit, as my panels are all on the back side of my house. It was the equipment on the side of my house where I wanted the conduit painted. I took care of the painting myself, but it was nice that they at least thought about accommodating my future task.

I'd also suggest you get a large cooler and fill it with sodas and waters for the crew. I also ordered them pizza, as a happy crew is more likely to go the extra mile.

One of the main electrical installers will walk you through the system, app setup, etc. Take notes, and use this time to determine which strings go to which inverters and which MPTTs, what all the wiring is inside the gateway, etc. Also ask about any limitations you might see before you get PTO.

Oh yeah, don't expect to go on the roof while they are there. They will strongly advise against it as it creates liability issues for Tesla. I would make my roof checks after they left. I also checked my attic for the areas I could get to, to check for any rafter splitting or missed screws. I didn't have any, but good to check. I also got up in the attic on the first decent rain to check for any leaks.