Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increased consumption in 8.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
YES! My range is considerably reduced, updated 3 days ago and driving my normal commute I used to be able to do 2 1/2 trips on single charge.

I can barely do 1 1/2 now.

a 40% decrease?

The Boards would light up

I have not seen any decrease whatsoever. My Wh/m is the exact same. Assuming you are an average 320-340 wh/m driver add 40% and yours would now be averaging above 450...I find this unbelievable unless you are driving over 90... uphill... in the rain... dragging a tree stump.

I did see an account of a model x with this mileage or higher but it was dragging a camper.

Post a pic of your trips screen showing the Wh/M average change to help us see what is going on.

I don't understand the posters that are trying to do anything other than plug the car in each night. Help me along here please? Do you not have charging at home?

Yes, I can and do charge at home, but that is not the point of the thread. If my expected range has now changed, that will impact my planning when doing extended drives for customer meetings. I may need to include an unplanned trip to a SC during the day, when I wouldn't have had to with 7.0. I am still monitoring this right now. Others have posted that they see no change, some like me have observed a change. My driving on the charge right after 8.0 was primarily numerous around town trips - minimal freeway trips on that charge.

Last edited:
a 40% decrease?

The Boards would light up

I have not seen any decrease whatsoever. My Wh/m is the exact same. Assuming you are an average 320-340 wh/m driver add 40% and yours would now be averaging above 450...I find this unbelievable unless you are driving over 90... uphill... in the rain... dragging a tree stump.

I did see an account of a model x with this mileage or higher but it was dragging a camper.

Post a pic of your trips screen showing the Wh/M average change to help us see what is going on.

LOL "dragging a tree stump" actually made me laugh

Yes, I can and do charge at home, but that is not the point of the thread. If my expected range has now changed, that will impact my planning when doing extended drives for customer meetings. I may need to include an unplanned trip to a SC during the day, when I wouldn't have had to with 7.0. I am still monitoring this right now. Others have posted that they see no change, some like me have observed a change. My driving on the charge right after 8.0 was primarily numerous around town trips - minimal freeway trips on that charge.
True.

So what's your Wh/mile for a known trip at a known temperature, before compared to after? Without that it's really tough to tell if anything has changed.

Just anecdotally, my Wh/m seemed to increase somewhat substantially in the first day or two after 8.0, and my commute went from consuming ~35 miles of range to closer to 50 miles of range.

However, this reverted back after a couple days, and I now see consumption at previous levels... or perhaps even a bit lower than before.

I realize this sounds improbable and likely the result of operator error, extreme climate impact, or perhaps early onset dimentia (though not that early I suppose). I posted just in case anyone else my have corroborating experience, or at worst might be joining me in a bout of mass delusion.

Anyway, all's well that ends well.

• Love
Reactions: Zybd1201
I posted this on another thread......

My 90D new in February of this year has just completed 12,000 miles. My average power consumption over this distance is 285Whr/m. On my daily run to work and back a distance of 26 miles my average consumption has been around 260Whr/ m.

Suddenly this has now jumped to 340Whr/m!

There are some changed circumstances. I have 3 tyres at 41psi and one at 45 psi (to be balanced out tomorrow). The temperature has fallen from around 60F to 50F, I now have V8 software.....

What does the power consumption display actually reflect? Is it tractive power consumption only or does it also include the HVAC load too.

Cold weather is always meant to reduce battery performance. Is this automatically calculated in the percentage battery/miles display or is the load power display upped to compensate?

Can anyone answer any of my questions or give me peace of mind that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with my 'Tessie'.

As the days go by I can only confirm that my power consumption has had a step change for the worse. My tyres are now all at the correct pressure and today was a little warmer at around 60F, but consumption over routes I know so well has increased by at least 10%.

I haven't noticed/haven't really paid attention, but will keep an eye on it.

Another thing that has changed: they've significantly modified how the airflow/AC is triggered and you now have to crank up the fans a lot higher to get a similar end result. it may have a minimal impact, but definetly a change. When I inquired, Tesla simply said "yep, it has changed"...

FWIW, the discrepancy between reported consumption and actual consumption has shrunk with 8.0. It went from over 12% discrepancy to "only" 7-8%. Maybe some of you are seeing that. Combine that with the >1% off the odometer is (reads high). So basically it has to get another 8% "worse" before the numbers reported in the dash reflects reality.

2 trips yesterday:

Trip 1:
Climate control off
teslafi: 30.61 349Wh/mi
Tesla: 30.6mi 322Wh/mi

Trip2:
Heat on
teslafi: 28.47mi, 376Wh/mi
Tesla 28.5mi 351Wh/mi

Just anecdotally, my Wh/m seemed to increase somewhat substantially in the first day or two after 8.0, and my commute went from consuming ~35 miles of range to closer to 50 miles of range.

However, this reverted back after a couple days, and I now see consumption at previous levels... or perhaps even a bit lower than before.

I realize this sounds improbable and likely the result of operator error, extreme climate impact, or perhaps early onset dimentia (though not that early I suppose). I posted just in case anyone else my have corroborating experience, or at worst might be joining me in a bout of mass delusion.

Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Very similar experience. The increased consumption I observed on the first charge after 8.0, has not continued. Not sure what I observed earlier, but I am certainly glad to have things back to normal.

Reactions: Neuromancer
Even if electricity was free, how is the problem of increased consumption related to how often you charge..?
The OP commented the number of miles before needing a charge. I was mildly on a tangent there as wondering why you would do anything other than plug in when you get home. Of course if there is increased consumption that is a problem regardless. The OP also hasn't ruled much out yet on that regard (different temperatures, no standard loop, etc)