Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increase charge current for location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to have a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage and used the mobile connector for my Model 3. Under that setup, I had my location-based charging current set to 32A and that worked just fine.

Today, I had an electrician install a Tesla Wall Charger (repurposing the 14-50 line but replacing the outlet with a dedicated line into the wall charger) and set the output limit to 40A. However, when I plug that in to the car, it looks like it refuses to increase the charging speed above 32A because it "remembers" that the charge limit at this location is 32A.

How do I make it forget the charging rules for my garage so that I can set it up with a 40A limit? I have been searching these forums and can't find the answer. One answer seems to be to reset the whole car, but that seems extreme and I don't want to lose all my other settings. Any ideas?

If the screen says "32/32" then you need to check the commissioning of the wall connector, and ensure its actually set for a 50 amp circuit (which provides 40 amps). It sounds like you provisioned it for a 40 amp circuit (which provides 32 amps).
No, I did that part myself and set it for a 50amp circuit and verified that it showed 40 amps for maximum output. Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• 39669.jpg
    39669.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
32/32. The 32 amps seems to be tied to the location and I see it as the limit even when I don't have the charger plugged in.
No, that's not how that works. Any limit you set can't change that second number. That second number is the highest possible maximum capacity available, which is the negotiated value between what the external equipment is announcing that it can supply and what the internal charger in the car is capable of accepting. Any specified amp limit you set at a location will only be in the first number, not the second number. And further, that setting will only be set or remembered if you are changing it while the car is plugged in.

Really obvious question: You mentioned you have a Model 3. What type of Model 3? If it's any of the SR or SR+ or MR versions, then the internal charger in the car is smaller capability and can't take over 32A anyway. It's only the long range cars that have the 48A capable chargers.

Or the other possibility, (if you do have the 48A capable one) is that part of it may have failed, and it can only run at 32A now. There is a bit of a rash of this, called a PCS failure, which has some threads here, like this one:

Last edited:
Really obvious question: You mentioned you have a Model 3. What type of Model 3? If it's any of the SR or SR+ or MR versions, then the internal charger in the car is smaller capability and can't take over 32A anyway. It's only the long range cars that have the 48A capable chargers.

I totally missed thinking about that (which version of the car), as I was focused on what the wall connector was reporting, but yeah I think this is it. OP, some of your other posts are in the model 3 "SR / SR+ waiting room" and if that is the version of the car you have, 32amps is as fast as that version of the car will L2 charge, as @Rocky_H mentions.

Its not a site limitation, the car only has (2) 16amp chargers in it, unlike the Long Range / Performance model 3 which has (3) of those same chargers.

Well, that seems to be the answer! Sorry, I had no idea that the SR+ couldn't charge faster than 32A. And yes, it's an SR+ so that explains it.

That works well enough so I'll live with it!

Thank you for enlightening me.
Sid

I totally missed thinking about that (which version of the car), as I was focused on what the wall connector was reporting, but yeah I think this is it. OP, some of your other posts are in the model 3 "SR / SR+ waiting room" and if that is the version of the car you have, 32amps is as fast as that version of the car will L2 charge, as @Rocky_H mentions.

Its not a site limitation, the car only has (2) 16amp chargers in it, unlike the Long Range / Performance model 3 which has (3) of those same chargers.
Yup, thank you!

I appreciate your taking the time to reply!

Sid