Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In deep w/ Tesla CEO Elon Musk: Financials, Falcon doors & finding faults in Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Design Studio shows Supercharger hardware included.

1. Elon misspoke.

2. There is optional Supercharger software.

3. Elon was referring to usage charges for the Supercharger network.

4. The Design Studio is wrong.

5. The article quoted Elon incorrectly.

Given how ragged Elon has been running lately, I'd suggest the most likely is #1 with a saver on #5. Charge and no-charge went back and forth for a long time and the Design Studio used to say TBD for the 60 kWh pack.

My money is on #3.

The Design Studio shows Supercharger hardware included.

1. Elon misspoke.

2. There is optional Supercharger software.

3. Elon was referring to usage charges for the Supercharger network.

4. The Design Studio is wrong.

5. The article quoted Elon incorrectly.

Given how ragged Elon has been running lately, I'd suggest the most likely is #1 with a saver on #5. Charge and no-charge went back and forth for a long time and the Design Studio used to say TBD for the 60 kWh pack.

My money is on #3 (free access to Supercharger stations) being a bonus for Signatures, not 85 vs 60 kWh. But that's complete speculation on my part.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my question. With speculation that 85kwh battery owners could charge for free, but 60kwh owners would have to pay, I was wondering how Tesla might differentiate which customers would be prompted for payment, and which wouldn't.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my question. With speculation that 85kwh battery owners could charge for free, but 60kwh owners would have to pay, I was wondering how Tesla might differentiate which customers would be prompted for payment, and which wouldn't.

Maybe the charger will recognize the 60kWh, communicate to get an id, and when it finds the car isn't recognized displays a message "Your car is not permitted to use this charger. Unplug now. You have 10 seconds to comply."

After I just read the interview, and drove to pick up dinner, started looking at some cars I passed. Both Audi A7 and Mercedes E Class (I believe) seem to have one piece bright moulding, so wonder what he was comparing against...

Porsche Panamera seems to have one giant (seamless) piece on the rear door as well...

Attachments

• panamera1.jpg
    panamera1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 210
Porsche Panamera seems to have one giant (seamless) piece on the rear door as well...

That piece is big, but it's only on the rear door, so it's smaller in total (slightly) and much less long in its longest dimension. Model S piece starts at the bottom of the A pillar, goes round the top of the front door, down the C pillar and loops back to the bottom of the rear door.

You could probably pick up that Porsche part with two hands and have no problem with it, while the Model S part is so long you'd have trouble carrying without bending and maybe damaging it.

After I just read the interview, and drove to pick up dinner, started looking at some cars I passed. Both Audi A7 and Mercedes E Class (I believe) seem to have one piece bright moulding, so wonder what he was comparing against...

I don't think the E does:

Merc E.jpg

But in all the images of the A7, I can't quite tell if there's a seam towards the back, so you might be right. On my A5 there's a seam, but it's very well done, it's difficult to see from any distance. In any case, one could argue that while the extra big bright work is great (and I admire Elon's obsessiveness over details that 98% of people wouldn't notice), perhaps a little less obsessiveness there, and a little more on the cup-holder ergonomics might have been a better use of time & effort :-/

That piece is big, but it's only on the rear door, so it's smaller in total (slightly) and much less long in its longest dimension. Model S piece starts at the bottom of the A pillar, goes round the top of the front door, down the C pillar and loops back to the bottom of the rear door.

You could probably pick up that Porsche part with two hands and have no problem with it, while the Model S part is so long you'd have trouble carrying without bending and maybe damaging it.

Yeah, different shape, but still big:
panamera2.jpg