Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In App message Action: missing billing details - Cock up or Scam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried supercharging today, failed to start charge with the missing payment error in the car. I then called Tesla support, their advise was to remove any spaces in the post code of the billing address. Less than 30 seconds after me removing the space in the post code the error cleared and let me supercharge again. :rolleyes:

Turns out for my situation, it was down to an additional driver not having a payment method added to their account. I had always assumed that everything was billed to my account

We got no message and only have one payment method attached to the car but multiple drivers.

When supercharging the car doesn’t really know who is driving/paying for charge so only needs the one method attached to main drivers account.

So unless the main drivers account was the one missing the payment method I would be very surprised if that was the reason even if someone from Tesla said that was the case.

[edit] just seen follow up re incorrect format of postcode. Would have thought that they could have automatically coped with that especially as space in postcode is the normal format. Thankfully Tesla make cars and is not a software company.

incorrect format of postcode. Would have thought that they could have automatically coped with that especially as space in postcode is the normal format

I'm amazed the number of places that require postcode with no spaces (and credit card numbers, and bank sort code without punctuation etc.)

In particular because it precludes copy-paste, which is going to be more accurate than re-type, but copy-paste often brings with it leading/trailing white-space ... so what? In our software we remove that, and also take care of embedded punctuation / spaces when that is likely. Our servers, these days, have a brain the size of a planet ... they don't grumble when I ask them to do this extra work :)

I'm amazed the number of places that require postcode with no spaces (and credit card numbers, and bank sort code without punctuation etc.)

In particular because it precludes copy-paste, which is going to be more accurate than re-type, but copy-paste often brings with it leading/trailing white-space ... so what? In our software we remove that, and also take care of embedded punctuation / spaces when that is likely. Our servers, these days, have a brain the size of a planet ... they don't grumble when I ask them to do this extra work :)
I agree.

I've no idea where Tesla get their address validation software, I spent some loot box points recently and no variation of my address was reocgnised, and the one it suggested wasn't anything like being correct. Luckily I ignored the suggestion and DHL had no issues finding me. Every other company online seems to get it correct, albeit there are two slightly different versions out there, although both make sense.

Reactions: Adopado
Every other company online seems to get it correct

Nope, I have one. I took the option of 0% APR on a sizeable online purchase a few years ago. Barclays (who I detest given how many times they have been fixed for illegal behaviour, with seemingly no effect) credit form postcode thingie got my address significantly wrong that I thought it was unlikely that mail would arrive, so I corrected it.

Someone from Barclays phoned to tell me I had entered an incorrect address. I explained that their automated address system was wrong, and any mail they sent me would not arrive - which seemed to me to be pretty fundamental for a finance instrument. He said he couldn't process the request unless I changed my address (as in ME go online and redo the whole thing, from the beginning) despite me telling him that mail would be undelivered. So I decided that I liked Barclays even less, wrote to the original company to tell them and that I was taking my business elsewhere ...

This happened to me after supercharging at Aviemore last Sunday . Persistent message in screen in car, in app and email saying I hadn't paid. (checked bank and I definitely had paid) All details seemed correct. Tesla live chat advised delete the payment method and re add it. They then explained how to clear error message in car. And confirmed I had paid for previous session.

Come Friday I got a notification in app saying I would need to update payment details or I wouldn't be able to supercharge. Bit of a panic as I needed to stop at fort William on way home. Managed to speak with someone from Tesla who said to delete the app and reinstall. No chance. I was up north with no key card and didn't want to risk anything. So just chanced it and went to Fort William to see if it stopped me. Charged absolutely no issues at all.
Seems like a c*ck up on Tesla's end