Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

would you be interested in high-quality, brighter interior plug-n-play lights?

• Yes - would buy a full set (trunk, Frunk, puddle lights and footwells)

Votes: 143 46.3%
  • Yes, would start with a few to replace the weedy lights in the trunk

Votes: 133 43.0%
  • Not sure - would wait for other reviews

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm good with the ones in the Model S

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you know if these can be installed on cars without the premium interior package?

I'll let someone else comment....further up this thread it seems that all cars have the cut-outs and the wiring behind them, but I'm not clear if the current version of the premium package includes them, or if all new S's just ship with a single trunk light in the liftgate. The 85D i've had as a loaner for the past couple of days had the cut-outs, but since it wasn't my car, I didn't want to start pulling it apart to see if the wires were behind it. According to the current description on TM's site, my loaner did not have the premium package, at least, there was no alcantara, but there was the power liftgate...confusing...I suspect there's been several iterations of the premium package over the past couple of years, but it seems unlikely the wiring loom would vary, so hopefully all cars have the wires, regardless of the premium package.

premium.jpg

I'll let someone else comment....further up this thread it seems that all cars have the cut-outs and the wiring behind them, but I'm not clear if the current version of the premium package includes them, or if all new S's just ship with a single trunk light in the liftgate. The 85D i've had as a loaner for the past couple of days had the cut-outs, but since it wasn't my car, I didn't want to start pulling it apart to see if the wires were behind it. According to the current description on TM's site, my loaner did not have the premium package, at least, there was no alcantara, but there was the power liftgate...confusing...I suspect there's been several iterations of the premium package over the past couple of years, but it seems unlikely the wiring loom would vary, so hopefully all cars have the wires, regardless of the premium package.
If I remember correctly, the power liftgate used to be part of the tech package. At least that's how it was when I ordered my P85D in October last year. I guess I'll find out in a couple of months when it gets delivered. I didn't order the premium package though, so would definitely be interested in your LEDs.

The 2 extra trunk positions have partially cut knockouts in the carpet for the LED modules. The wiring for them is taped to the main harness up above the LED location toward the top of the wheel well on each side. It's easy to access if you peel back the carpet on each side.

There are 2 front footwell units, 1 in the glove box, 1 on the bottom of each door (puddle), and 1 in the frunk. On the premium lighting cars, there are 2 in under the fronts seats for the back seat passengers. I don't yet know if the wiring is there for that, but I bet it is.

On the premium lighting cars there is also a LED strip under the trim on each of the front door panels. The wiring is there in the door for these as well, but they only come on with the rest of the door lights, not as "ambient" because the option isn't enabled.

I'd definitely buy the trunk lights ... right now, it's just horrible and I can't see anything. I would need the solution to be plug-and-play in the D wiring configuration, without the premium lighting package. :) There is only the weak LED on the tailgate itself right now. There seems to be two cutouts where the optional lighting would have gone, but I haven't dug deep in there to see what's up.

- K

Count me in. Please advise when available.

The production candidate (for tooling) came out well, it passed! A few photos below, but essentially the form-factor and composition is identical.

View attachment 88489

The brightness increase registered at a little under 3x as can be seen below (using a fairly basic IOS app), however, the real-life observation lacked the 'wow, that's bright' factor. This was using 2x 5630 SMD LEDs, so the next samples will vary the LED type, and quantity. It'll be a couple of weeks before the next samples get here, but we're getting close.

View attachment 88490

- - - Updated - - -

Count me in. Please advise when available.

The production candidate (for tooling) came out well, it passed! A few photos below, but essentially the form-factor and composition is identical.

View attachment 88489

The brightness increase registered at a little under 3x as can be seen below (using a fairly basic IOS app), however, the real-life observation lacked the 'wow, that's bright' factor. This was using 2x 5630 SMD LEDs, so the next samples will vary the LED type, and quantity. It'll be a couple of weeks before the next samples get here, but we're getting close.

View attachment 88490

View attachment 88563

my 70D without premium interior package has the cut outs and the wires for the passenger side. Possibly for drivers side, but I did not see them.

dont mean to thread jack,but.......

Then don't do it.

It seems to me thread-jacking is EXACTLY what you intended to do.

You sell a competing product. You have a sponsor who started a thread and has a lot of activity and interest in his product, so you are trying to pick up business for what you sell by piggybacking onto that, since his product is not available yet. The ethical thing to do would be to start your own thread. What you're doing is analagous to standing outside a successful competitor's store, talking to his customers, and trying to get them to come to your less successful store.

Personally I think it's pathetic.

I hope others see it for what it is.

Removing your link and editing your post was the right thing to do.

For the record, I have no relationship with the OP, other than being a satisfied customer, and knowing that he's just a small businessman, focusing on making good products for the Tesla community.

I don't know anything about you or your product. It just really rubbed me the wrong way to see you say "don't mean to threadjack, but," and then go on to do just that!

Again, thanks for doing the right thing!

Made some good progress. Latest sample arrived today; it's really difficult to show the brightness, as the trunk material absorbs all the light, so the photos below show some white (ish) totes in the trunk. The first photo is the OEM bulb (just one, since I only have a single sample to compare to), the second is the sample bulb. these are untouched, and just with an iPhone, so I'll need to spend more time at the weekend trying to get some better comparisons. I don't trust the light meter app either, so I'll need to find a better meter. But overall the difference is massive; two or three of the bulbs will be ample I think. I'll try to take a photo with just the single bulb in the hatch as well. This version has 4 LED's, I was expecting a 3 LED version too, so will need to chase that down.

456DF493-9547-404F-BE87-B46D0632455F.JPG
5876F33B-0D8B-41D4-8A14-B210858DA268.JPG