Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Importing a Model S into a Non-Tesla Country

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I am in Istanbul right now on vacation, are you sure you want to drive a Tesla here? Outside of the ring road that goes along the water where traffic moves quickly, the drivers and space available to move on the city streets make Chicago look simple to drive in!

Hahah. I hear you. Traffic is absolutely unfathomable in this city. Especially the city centre is no place to be with a car. However I live around 10 miles outside the center (assumed always as Taksim Sq) and my daily commute to work is around 14 miles one way towards even more to the outskirts. However despite the traffic I still think Model S/electric is the way to go. Everywhere it is stop&go traffic. Imagine how much energy is lost / air is polluted with millions of ICE cars in Istanbul's 24/7 stop&gos.

I really can't wait for Tesla's official entry as incredible tax advantages with EVs have the potential to make Turkey the next Norway. Take a look at the gas prices too, they're off the charts!

how do you like the city besides traffic btw? Not the best time to be around here as a tourist tbh because of the weather.

The Tesla should be perfect then for your situation (for almost any situation really...)

Istanbul is great, we had 3 nights in Athens, then tonight is our 3rd night here. Significantly different than any preconceived notions an American would have about it or a Muslim county. Everyone has been wonderful here (though I prefer the food a little more in Athens).

Since it is in the low single digits Fahrenheit in Chicago right now, the temperature here is just fine!

Good luck Emir-T. I have put this project on hold; I will not get a new Tesla without proper insurance even though I don't mind shipping the car or flying out a ranger. I don't think warranty is an issue, worst case just send the car back to Tilburg and they should take care of any issue. Turkey is on the map for 2016 so I think you have a better chance of making it work.

BTW I am visiting the USA and just sat in a brand new P85D; things have improved a lot since 2013 when I first tried a P85+. The car feels better made and more expensive. The next gen seats look much nicer in person than in photos.

Hi,
I hope someone can help me with some info. I have placed a deposit on a special order tesla with the plan to ship to the uae and worst case just leave in the US. for UAE shipping however what do you do if the car needs repair?? Body work, fender bender, axel alignment etc? I have asked an no one will touch this car if it gets into an accident. What is anyone planning to do in this case? I know the few people who have teslas in the UAE now have them as one of several cars adn so don't rely on them and drive them leisurely on the weekend keeping accident probability at a minimum. But if this were my daily car this would not be feasible. I would love to be able to ship it to where I am 9 months out of the year. Thanks.

Hi @Ames, how did you sort out the transportation? Did you drove it on the temporary transit plates from Tilburg?

I'm also from "Other Europe" (non-EU), and I wonder if I can drive the car from the factory by myself, or I need to arrange the transportation. Thanks.

I ended up cancelling the car I ordered from Tillburg due to confusion over vat refund at the time. I ordered instead from Norway in the name of a Norwegian friend, then transferred ownership to myself, and with temp registration I drove the car from Drammen to Oslo where it was shipped to Abu Dhabi. I have been driving it almost 3 years now and just about to do my 2nd service at 80,000 km before the non-drivetrain warranty ends...