Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm obsessed with "Power Off".. does it make any difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure it does a lot more than just turn the LCD screens off. The heat or A/C turn off, the entertainment system stops, and I can hear other systems shut down, etc. I am sure it's not powering off the computers because everything does wake up immediately upon re-entering the car (the LCD screens, the entertainment, and A/C all start up without delay).

I don't think it does anything that the car wouldn't do a few seconds later if you just left.
It certainly doesn't put the computers into deep sleep or shut them down. After your initial post I actually played with it in my car and cannot see any difference from just walking away.
I really believe you are completely off in the deep woods, HankLloyRight...

I don't think it does anything that the car wouldn't do a few seconds later if you just left.
It certainly doesn't put the computers into deep sleep or shut them down. After your initial post I actually played with it in my car and cannot see any difference from just walking away.
I really believe you are completely off in the deep woods, HankLloyRight...

And I admitted such in my first post.

:)

I'm sure it does a lot more than just turn the LCD screens off. The heat or A/C turn off, the entertainment system stops, and I can hear other systems shut down, etc.

Well, yes, but as dirkhh points out the car does these things anyway as soon as you walk away. If you really are obsessed with saving every last joule, the best feature we have available is sleep mode, which is independent of the "Power Off" feature. I always have sleep mode enabled and it works great.

Now I find myself forgetting to shut off my ICE, forgetting to put the parking break on, and forgetting to lock the car as I walk away. I find it kind of annoying - that more cars don't behave like the Tesla does. ;)

Also keep in mind your Model S goes to sleep pretty quickly. And then automatically goes into a deeper sleep after a couple of days of non-use. I.e. Your door handles won't respond when you walk up to it, and it takes a push or two on the handles to wake up the car, either that or use the fob directly.

The engineers have it very well thought out now re any significant or unnecessary drain.

Well, yes, but as dirkhh points out the car does these things anyway as soon as you walk away. If you really are obsessed with saving every last joule, the best feature we have available is sleep mode, which is independent of the "Power Off" feature. .

The strange thing is that it's not that I'm obsessed with saving every last joule of energy, it's more just knowing the car is shut off before walking away from it.

Did I mention that I also have to rub the steering wheel 9 times and open/close the glove box 6 times before leaving the car?

(Ok, that last part was a joke. :) )

The strange thing is that it's not that I'm obsessed with saving every last joule of energy, it's more just knowing the car is shut off before walking away from it.

Did I mention that I also have to rub the steering wheel 9 times and open/close the glove box 6 times before leaving the car?

In that case don't worry about it and enjoy! That's the major difference with a Tesla. The car never ever truly shuts 'off' in normal use but when sleep mode is turned on it greatly reduces power.

Oh, in that case, I guess I should share the secret with you that I learned from the cousin of a high school friend of mine. Her daughter occasionally babysits for a friend of a senior engineer at Tesla and she overheard the following:
Before turning your car off it is critically important to have the radio in the lower half of the display and switch it to the local NPR station on FM (AM does not work!). Then you need to mute the radio, and THEN turn off the car from the control panel.
That's the only way to really turn it off.
But don't share this with anyone - we want to keep it a secret.

Happy obsessing :)

> it's more just knowing the car is shut off before walking away from it. [HLRight]

That was the main item in my CON column when I was configuring the MS so I dropped the auto-lock and auto-present functions. But since you already have the auto-lock can't you pull out your iPhone after walking 200 feet and check the status? No flashing lights - no one will ever suspect your OCD fixation.

I have no app, so am clueless.
--

Last edited:
> it's more just knowing the car is shut off before walking away from it. [HLRight]

That was the main item in my CON column when I was configuring the MS. But since you already have the auto-lock can't you pull out your iPhone after walking 200 feet and check the status? No flashing lights - no one will ever suspect your OCD fixation.
--

I can see if the car is locked via the iPhone app.. not that it's fully powered off.

I agree, that was so incredibly awkward for me. Take a leap of faith and just trust it and after a while you'll stop thinking about it. It may even become one of the things you like most about the car!

LOL.

Just to be clear, the car is never "shut off"...well, one could say the 5.x deep sleep is, but IMHO even then it's not truly off. (But you don't trigger the deep sleep with the misleadingly-labelled "power off" button anyway.) This car is essentially "always on" (and that's a good thing).

Anyway, turn off your brain, not the car; you'll get used to it eventually! :) Then you'll be in an ICE at some point (e.g., rental) and you'll forget to take the key out, and the cycle will begin anew. . . .

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I have left a key (for a minute) in an ICE rental, yes. My other half was like "uh plz turn off and take the key out now." I was like :redface: !

Because it just feels really awkward to just put the car in park and walk away with everything still on and running.

I agree. How long have you had your car again? It only takes a few weeks to get used to it. Even if the car didn't shut off due to some bug it's not like anything is getting harmed. The thing you have to worry about actually is forgetting to turn off the next ICE you drive and walk off leaving it running. It takes time but you'll get used to it.