Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idle fee at empty Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is absolutely nothing you can do to fight this with Tesla that won’t take orders of magnitude more effort and time than any ~$10 waived idle fee is worth. Don’t waste your time. They don’t care.
All I have is time. lol. But it's more about the principle because seems like I should have been notified first that their idle fee policy changed. I don't look on the Tesla web site all the time anymore, so how would I know if my cars display or phone didn't get a notification telling me about the changes?

• Disagree
Reactions: bxr140
but I don't think Tesla does this anymore and believe it's automatic if the Supercharger is at least 50% capacity.
I don't think that is true at all. The issue with 50% is the same as it has always been for many years, since before you got your car. If it is below 50%, occupancy, they won't have any idle fees at all. If it is at 50% or more, then yes, idle fees will be enabled. It's been that way for a long time and still is.

That is a totally separate issue of the "high usage locations". That is a more recent development and is not nearly as well defined. Stations can be changed and re-defined as "high use" at various times, whenever Tesla feels like, based on...whatever criteria they use that they don't publish. It is supposed to show this on the screen at least, shortly after you begin charging, and it will move your limit down to 80%. You can then raise it after that. I don't know if it also sends a notice to the mobile app or not--haven't had a chance to check. It's possible some notifications got messed up or didn't get sent. Or maybe the status of that site changed to high use after your charging was going. I don't know how that would be handled.

I just wanted to clear this up to not mix two things. The 50% thing is different than the high use locations with the 80% limit.

It is supposed to show this on the screen at least, shortly after you begin charging, and it will move your limit down to 80%. You can then raise it after that. I don't know if it also sends a notice to the mobile app or not--haven't had a chance to check. It's possible some notifications got messed up or didn't get sent. Or maybe the status of that site changed to high use after your charging was going. I don't know how that would be handled.

I just wanted to clear this up to not mix two things. The 50% thing is different than the high use locations with the 80% limit.
There is a notification for it on the app. I receive it reliably at my nearby high use location.

There is absolutely nothing you can do to fight this with Tesla that won’t take orders of magnitude more effort and time than any ~$10 waived idle fee is worth. Don’t waste your time. They don’t care.
From what I've seen, they do care about the customer experience. May be bring it up during your next service visit. They can review and either give you a discount or waive the fee.

From what I've seen, they do care about the customer experience. May be bring it up during your next service visit. They can review and either give you a discount or waive the fee.

Tesla already did waive the fee. They’re now asking for a waiver of the waiver so they can get their get out of jail free card back, which is silly.

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on the “Tesla cares” idea.

Last edited: