Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE: Would you ever go back?

When you're ready to replace your Model 3, would you consider ICE for your next car?

• Yes. I could see going back.

Votes: 22 6.1%
  • No. Not ever. No way.

Votes: 282 78.6%
  • Maybe. Answering questions about the future is hard.

Votes: 55 15.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is one of the big points I make to people that I show my Tesla to - you just walk up and open it up and drive, then park and walk away...

You see, that's the funny thing about people being different. The one thing I know I will hate the most about my Model 3 - if I ever manage to get it - is the fact that there is no keyfob with a simple button for opening and closing. The thought of just walking away and always having that uncertainty "is the car really locked?" is going to drive me nuts.

Sure, the app might tell me it's closed, but do I trust software versus what I see with my eyes? Certainly not. With my current car (or the e-Golf) I can press the close-button on the fob, hear the thunk of the door locks, and/or see the little dimples on the top of the door cards retract to show that the door is actually locked. I can even try the handle for extra reassureance. Call it OCD for sure, but that's simply how it is.

Afaik this is not possible with the Model 3, as it will not lock if I am standing next to it, or am I wrong about this and there is a way to manually lock the car even if you stand right next to it, or pull on the handle?

So if all BEVs one day had this "simply walk away to close the car" feature, that would be something that would make me want to go back to a traditional ICE (or a BEV with a traditional fob).

No way I would ever buy another ICE car, but still have diesel Mercedes E class and Vito van for my business. The E class will be replaced by model 3 as soon as available in the UK, while waiting for suitable EV van with long range to be on the market. Maybe Tesla will make after the pick-up?

It is strange that after only a few months of EV ownership the ICE cars seem noisy, dirty and out of date - not attractive at all.

Last edited:
You see, that's the funny thing about people being different. The one thing I know I will hate the most about my Model 3 - if I ever manage to get it - is the fact that there is no keyfob with a simple button for opening and closing. The thought of just walking away and always having that uncertainty "is the car really locked?" is going to drive me nuts.

I turned on the honk when it locks option. It is about 15 seconds after you leave the car that it will lock. So, I just listen for it as I walk away.

Sure, the app might tell me it's closed, but do I trust software versus what I see with my eyes? Certainly not. With my current car (or the e-Golf) I can press the close-button on the fob, hear the thunk of the door locks, and/or see the little dimples on the top of the door cards retract to show that the door is actually locked. I can even try the handle for extra reassureance. Call it OCD for sure, but that's simply how it is.

Afaik this is not possible with the Model 3, as it will not lock if I am standing next to it, or am I wrong about this and there is a way to manually lock the car even if you stand right next to it, or pull on the handle?

So if all BEVs one day had this "simply walk away to close the car" feature, that would be something that would make me want to go back to a traditional ICE (or a BEV with a traditional fob).
Not to worry, when walking away from the car, it gives you a little beep to announce it’s locked. When your Parking it back in your garage, you’ll go through the routine enough that you’ll see the mirrors retract/ or park themselves and hear the little beep. In a short time this will all be routine. When you go out into the garage and have forgotten to take either your phone, card key or now the fob, you’ll immediately realize that you can’t open the car, or trunk and have to then go retrieve said “key”, you’ll catch on to the auto locking right away.

When you walk away from the car, it provides a small audible beep confirming it's locked. No anxiety at all. You'll get used to it and love the convenience.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinPowers
Seriously? That would be great.
Source?
Those links come to my mind:
Tesla Model 3 Key Fob Free To Current Owners, Included For New
Tesla Model 3 is finally getting a key fob – first images

"Tesla has confirmed that the key fob will be included with future Model 3 purchases (no exact timeline was provided, aside from “when available“). But the bigger bit of news is that existing Model 3 owners will be able to get the key fob for free upon request. This means that current owners who’ve yearned for a fob will be able to receive one at no cost. Again, no specific timeline has been provided to us in regards to availability, so we suggest you reach out to your Tesla contacts to obtain more details."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AustinPowers
For daily driving and long trips, no more ICE for me! Thanks to the Supercharger network and other options for charging (some painfully slow albeit), I can see a long future ahead with an EV. However, we have a 1-ton Dodge diesel that will have a place in our driveway for the foreseeable future. Why? Truck camper. Band trailer and robotics trailer towing, and for hauling stuff I would never put in the Tesla. Hubby has a Jeep modified for trail running, and we have a VW Thing that has been part of the family before we were a family so those stay as well.

That being said, I drove the truck for the first time in 3 weeks last night. It smelled bad, made too much noise, and felt like it was lurching through the turns. Don't even get me started on the turbo lag! The only thing that felt right was the engine brake!

I still have one ICE Vehicle along with the Model 3.

It is a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit (about $55K MSRP).

I LOVED that Jeep. Best thing since sliced bread. I bought the Model 3 for my wife.
But I take the Model 3 daily because my wife would rather drive the "Beater" (the $50K Jeep) and not worry about the Model 3.

I now HATE driving that Jeep. My wife was never thrilled with it because her regular car was a VW CC.
She felt she couldn't keep the Jeep centered on the center of the road and blamed herself.
When she was driving on long trips with me as passenger, I would say why are you so far over in your lane, get back over.
All the Tech in the Jeep seems so feeble now. Lane assist, yeah right.
I will say on the Jeep Auto High Beam DOES work, Auto Wipers work better, the HK Sound System is a bit better and better road noise.
Handling, acceleration, driving assists, visibility, crash tests, and a multitude of other things are much better on the model 3.
Note that the Jeep Summit is based on a Mercedes GLS Chassis.

Now after driving the Model 3, I now realize what a dangerous POS the Jeep is. I really need to get rid of it.
I also now understand why my wife hated it. She feels so relieved it wasn't her.

Problem is, I need something that can tow a fairly hefty trailer. 5K lbs Gross weight. I really could not justify an X price tag.
I also doubt the Model Y will handle 5K towing (I know model X does). Nervous about model X problems too.

So I'm kind of stuck for now. But I can't imagine buying another ICE.

Vehicle #2 (or maybe #1) is a 2015 (post dieselgate) VW Golf Sportwagen TDI M6 which I love. It gets 45+mpg on the highway and has driving and handling characteristics approaching ideal. It happens to be the same color as my silver/black P3D+ Tesla and I feel like I'm on top of the world, car-wise.