Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want to take 2nd key fob on trip as a backup. Where can I put it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least he had the key in his pocket, pretty useless after the car was wrecked. I'm still bemused that folks continue to post where and how they should hide their key fob on a public forum where they be pretty easily identified and descriptions and VINs are nicely highlighted. I wonder what the insurance company would say if if a car was stolen and trashed after the owner could be identified here and the car description, VIN and key location was published in this thread?

[/stuck_record]
For the record, I won't be hiding a spare fob anywhere in or around my car. I think I'll put it in a plastic bag buried a couple feet in an acre with landmines and booby traps that only I know how to get through. The thieves will have fun with that and my insurance company needs to invent a new bonus.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Not only are you hiding your FOB in the car, but you're advertising that fact, along with the places you tend to hide them. Is the risk of having your car stolen because a thief manages to figure out where you hide it really worth mitigating the risk of losing the FOB? Seriously... $360 FOB plus a tow or shipping, or your $70k+ car.

I know this is an old thread but I have to say I wish I had read it before our trip this summer. Spare fob at home in Florida, Fob left in pants and washed in upstate NY It turns out you can limp along with the RFID part of the fob, but not fun.
My spare now resides sans battery in a super secret place in the car

I know this is an old thread but I have to say I wish I had read it before our trip this summer. Spare fob at home in Florida, Fob left in pants and washed in upstate NY �� It turns out you can limp along with the RFID part of the fob, but not fun.
My spare now resides sans battery in a super secret place in the car ��

Is a spare even needed as the car can be unlocked, started etc with the app.