Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I reserved 2 M3's but will only be able to afford 1, options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife surprised me when I mentioned "shall we change" she thought it might be worthwhile; bit more range, but also "we've never had a problem with static on the radio or cold-feet in all the loaners we've had, so it would fix that too" ! Seems a bit extravagant though, car is less than 2.5 years old

She typically takes ICE for the Oxford trip as the Supercharging is hassle - if it was a pleasure trip it would be fine, but on a business day she's not keen, in particular in case the journey is "tight" - bad weather / diversion - its an extra 10 minutes detour to the Supercharger and best part of 20 minutes charging.

Sadly the S100 or M3Aero would still require the detour, albeit only 5 minutes or so charging.

If she came home M25 that's an additional 10 minutes, but would enable charging closer to home at Stanstead. That's 44 miles from home and ABRP says would require a 6% charge (2 minutes !!). If I then set speed as 100% rather than 110% that would get the car home with 10% to spare. So a very good chance, if there was Traffic / Road Works, that approaching Stanstead there would be enough juice for the last 44 miles and just press on and skip the charge.

Absolutely no chance of that outcome with the P90D ...

... and a 75 couldn't make it back to Stanstead so would have to do Option 1, which is the least-good-route, timewise.

Trouble is, if I were to set off on the shorter route home, and not take the Supercharger detour, then there is no other convenient charging solution en route if it gets tight. I suppose the deciding factor might be how much "spare" I had on arrive in Oxford - traffic / roadworks on the way there would leave me enough to be confident for journey home but, on a work-trip, neither of us really want that extra hassle, time is the greater issue. Probably ought to suss out if there is a 13AMP outdoor-socket in the Client carpark in Oxford as that would definitely be the solution :)