Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-Pace vs P3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got off the I-Pace event in San Mateo and have a question. Ok, I’m not chasing Performance edition or even AWD, but if you are, why I-Pace is not a viable option at almost similar price point?
Normal car with likely a better assembly quality, with bunch of options to customize, with a bunch of color options for just $600 plus ;). Even something like air suspension is an option.
Range?

It has normal car experience, HUD, adjustable suspension and amazing seats (actually 2 different types, but both are great)
Where can I test out these amazing seats? To me, ride quality and seating are huge issues.

-I-PACE interior is crampy, and trunk space is small for the price.
Based on real life observation - M3 and i-Pace are about the same. Price-wise I-Pase is comparable to P3D.
-I-PACE is extremely inefficient for the 90kWh battery it uses, watch bjorn nyland's drive tests.
Why should I care? The difference is a cent or two per mile.
-P3D has longer range for the same price.
True
-P3D is faster and more powerful in every way possible for the same price.
By a very thin and impractical margin.
-P3D handles much better than I-PACE, and is lighter. If you track at all, I-PACE isn't an option.
Both cars are not build for the track. I wander would P3D be able to complete a couple of laps (Model S cannot, just for your info)
-I-PACE uses outdated interface like it was built in the early 2000's, and the interface lags like you have iphone battery performance throttling turned on. We're almost in to 2019 this is unacceptable.
True, but it has Car Play and, surprisingly works with my brand new garage opener. M3 cannot.
-Tesla tech is years ahead of Jaguar when it comes to autopilot/lane assist. Bjorn Nyland's video shows I-PACE autopilot gets disengaged randomly without warning, and your car goes on a free roll where you are free to crash or run off the road if you don't take control. Tesla warns you when autopilot disengages, and your car will slowly come to a stop and turn on emergency lights for you if you do not take control.
Don't care that much about autopilot after the dude from Apple died on 85 ramp about 4 month ago while driving under autopilot.
-Superior Tesla tech such as over the air updates and smooth touch screen functions are unmatched.
I-Pace has over-the-air update too. Screen is bit laggy though.
-Supercharger network, don't think this doesn't matter because it does. Uneducated general public still thinks you can't travel with an electric vehicle. Their jaws usually drop when I show them Tesla's supercharger network and destination chargers. Many Americans are not buying EV's because they are fed bad information and they think all EV's are short range local commuter vehicles.
So when will I be able to connect a M3 to the CHAdeMO fast charger?

I-PACE definitely is a bit more blingy and it has the flash. It has nice finish with instrument clutter for those that yearn it. It drives well for its size. But when it comes down to what really matters, the powertrain, range, safety, tech, and just sheer raw power, P3D is just better for the same price or cheaper. No contest.

ps. air suspension is coming for Model 3 as an option in 2019.
pps. you can buy a P3D now, the earliest estimate for when I-PACE will start showing up in the U.S. is Feb 2019.
It's marginally cheaper, but... there are more Model 3s in Bay Area today then Civics. I'm seriously concerned I will be able to find my Tesla on the parking lot if my phone battery dies. At least I-Pace offers a remote.

There are many makes and models of cars to suit each person's unique tastes. Since you've dismissed every strength of the Model 3 over the I-Pace, it's very obvious that the I-Pace is the right car for you. There's no reason to spend $70k+ on a car that you already consider inferior before you've even purchased it.
Let me quote myself - "Ok, I’m not chasing Performance edition or even AWD, but if you are".
I have a reservation for a very basic LR for 50K. At this moment, Tesla needs just a little bit of effort to already made one to piss me off enough so I will spend extra 30K just to avoid buying Tesla.

I'm giving OP the benefit of the doubt here and presuming that he really is choosing between EVs, intends to use the car for local, perhaps regional use, and highly prizes interior amenities and looks. I suggest he consider a BMW.
I'd choose IX3 over the I-Pace or M3 in a heartbeat. So far my experience with BMWs the BMW dealerships was excellent. However it's not available yet, and I need a new car worst case early next year.

• Funny
Reactions: Mobius484
I have not yet seen an I-Pace in person, but I for one look forward to seeing it and eventually driving it. I have no intention to buy one - but I certainly hope it is successful. Whether it will be successful or not...time will tell.

If the OP wants to buy an I-Pace (when they are actually available for sale) instead of a Tesla - at least he is getting an electric car and contributing to Tesla’s mission statement. Tesla may be the company responsible for dragging the industry (kicking and screaming in most cases) to actually starting to make some compelling EVs - but they can’t build the 70 million (!) cars a year that the world consumes. They need other auto manufacturers to get on board.

The OP asked why not an I-Pace and people have already given him many legitimate reasons. But it’s up to him to decide. Not sure if we need to beat the dead horse here or if there is really any info that hasn’t already been shared.

We should be careful not to get pulled into the “EVs should only be compared to other EVs” trap. We need large groups of people to start switching to EVs (remember 70M sold a year world wide and 98% of them are currently ICE).

So I’d imagine there would be better cars to compare the I-Pace to. Smaller ICE SUVs or crossovers, including Jag’s own E-Pace, Volvo XC40, BMW X-1, etc. I guess what I am saying (in a long round-about way!) is that likely the I-Pace will not appeal to many on here who own Teslas. And that’s fine.

We know what we like and we may feel that I-Pace just doesn’t measure up, is too heavy, old tech, not as good value for money, no Superchargers, etc, etc. That’s fine. Likely us Tesla owners are not the target market. But if we can encourage those who would otherwise buy a an ICE crossover to take a look at alternatives like the I-Pace (especially if they like that form factor but can’t wait for Model Y), then that is one less sale of an ICE and that’s good for us all.

So OP,
Your preferred Jag is $80k while an AWD Model 3 is $56k without EAP, $61k with EAP.

Tell me again what that extra 20 - 25K buys you ?
More "traditional" car interior, better selection of options, very likely a better customer service and a lack of necessity to visit a service center in a week after the car is delivered.
The difference between P3D is 5-7K

better selection of options
What options, that are part of your $80k price ?
very likely a better customer service
Jag has no experience with EVs. I doubt your reasoning.
lack of necessity to visit a service center in a week after the car is delivered.
BS

I gather the Jag 0-60 is 4.5 seconds, equivalent to an AWD Model 3. The P is much faster.

Anyway, I'm done here. Good luck in your decision.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sg911
if you need to sit up a little higher than iPace.
If you live in an area with local flooding than iPace.
If you like physical buttons for controls than iPace.
If you want something more unique than iPace.
If you prefer real leather than iPace.
If you want more color options than iPace.
If you prefer the SUV look over sedans than iPace.

We need the Model-Y for a real contest though.
I would be hesitant to buy any first year model from most car companies.