Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need advice on dealing with an accident in Canada.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need advice on dealing with an accident in Canada.
First of all, sorry for my bad English.

Last week I was parked on the street in front of a public park and was playing when my Tesla app alerted me and I looked at the live sentry and saw that the car in front of me had hit my car while backing up.

I immediately sent a voice message to leave a contact number, wait for me, and went straight to my car, and when I arrived about 15 minutes later, the offending car had already driven away.

IMG_7595D.JPG

The accident damage seems minor, but this is a 3-month-old Model X that I've been waiting a year and a half for. It really breaks my heart.

Since he didn't leave any information, I called 911 and the police were immediately dispatched, and the police spoke with the other party using the license plate captured in the Sentry footage.
The police gave me the other driver's name, phone number, driver's license number, insurance company, and policy number, as well as the incident number.
I then texted the other driver to discuss compensation, and he told me not to contact his insurance company and that he would pay 100% of the repair costs.

스크린샷 2023-04-05 오후 7.48.09.png

스크린샷 2023-04-05 오후 7.49.34.png

스크린샷 2023-04-05 오후 7.49.47.png

When I sent him the estimate I got from Tesla Center, he said it was a lot of money, so I asked for $2000, but we didn't end up settling.
Even if he had left his contact information on my window, I had no intention of going through with it, so I contacted my insurance company.

My common sense told me that the his insurance company would take care of the repair.
However, the email I received from my insurer made it sound like my insurer is handling the repair and that it would affect my future insurance rating for my premiums.

1680735849945.png

Is this normal in Canada, NovaScotia?
This is my first time dealing with insurance in Canada, so I'm not sure how the system works.
What should I do?

Thank you for reading this long article and for your time.

• Informative
Reactions: Lon12
Sorry that happened, super annoying.

I didn't read the texts and only skimmed the email. The line in the email that stands out is "...how the loss may affect your policy..."

The key word there is "may". I would contact someone from your insurance directly and ask them if it will affect your premiums. As they have determined you to be not at fault there may be no changes to your premiums.

Also note that your policy only covers 30 day rental vehicle. My experience is that repairs take much longer.

Last point, hard to tell from the photo but if the damage is entirely superficial maybe consider not repairing it. The hassle of rentals, paperwork, etc for a few scratches may not be worth it.

Good luck.

Reactions: mokorean
Also also, I understand that you were being very nice to the person, but they hit your car and left without even an apology note. That leaves me very little sympathy.

The video shows that your car rocked a little when it was hit so I have a hard time believing that they didn't notice.
He got out and checked the car. tesla was also alarming loudly when the tesla noticed me, and there was a witness who heard it, but he said something to the witness, got in his car, and drove away immediately.
I have the full video, but I'm not sharing it because it shows his face and license plate.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Sorry that happened, super annoying.

I didn't read the texts and only skimmed the email. The line in the email that stands out is "...how the loss may affect your policy..."

The key word there is "may". I would contact someone from your insurance directly and ask them if it will affect your premiums. As they have determined you to be not at fault there may be no changes to your premiums.

Also note that your policy only covers 30 day rental vehicle. My experience is that repairs take much longer.

Last point, hard to tell from the photo but if the damage is entirely superficial maybe consider not repairing it. The hassle of rentals, paperwork, etc for a few scratches may not be worth it.

Good luck.
If it were my mistake, it might be minor enough that I wouldn't bother fixing it. But I'm the victim of a hit-and-run, and I just want to get my car back in good shape, so I don't know why my insurance company is billing me. Maybe I should have contacted the opponent driver's insurance company directly instead of notifying my own.

I would just let him off, you drive a 180k car so clearly 2k is nothing to you, while to him it sounds like a huge sum. About 10 years ago some teenager rear ended me, there was a minor scrape on my car, but he was very apologetic and I just told him not to worry and ignored it. There is a lot of cruelty in the world and those of us who are fortunate should try to make things a bit easier for those who are struggling.

I would just let him off, you drive a 180k car so clearly 2k is nothing to you, while to him it sounds like a huge sum. About 10 years ago some teenager rear ended me, there was a minor scrape on my car, but he was very apologetic and I just told him not to worry and ignored it. There is a lot of cruelty in the world and those of us who are fortunate should try to make things a bit easier for those who are struggling.
If he had left a note apologizing and contact information, I might not have proceeded further. I feel like I'm the perpetrator, even if I'm the victim. I'm a university student studying abroad in Canada, and he's a professor at my university -different faculty-. This situation is making it harder for me. I just want the scratches on my car to be invisible, and I feel like it's unreasonable that I have to pay for repairing.

Reactions: DriverInTheRye
I noticed your question wasn't answered, so here goes:

This is normal in Canada. Your insurance will cover the repairs to your car and then recover the cost from the other person's insurance. If they don't have insurance, most policies in Canada come with uninsured driver coverage, so you're probably still covered. Since you're not at fault, you don't have to pay your deductible and your premiums won't be affected.

The only time this will affect your premiums is if you have a lot of not-at-fault claims in a short period of time, then your insurance may still label you a risky driver as you tend to attract accidents.

If you have any incidental damages that aren't covered by your insurance (ex: rental car beyond 30 days), you can also try to recover the costs from the other driver through small claims court.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

This is normal in Canada. Your insurance will cover the repairs to your car and then recover the cost from the other person's insurance. If they don't have insurance, most policies in Canada come with uninsured driver coverage, so you're probably still covered. Since you're not at fault, you don't have to pay your deductible and your premiums won't be affected.

The only time this will affect your premiums is if you have a lot of not-at-fault claims in a short period of time, then your insurance may still label you a risky driver as you tend to attract accidents.

If you have any incidental damages that aren't covered by your insurance (ex: rental car beyond 30 days), you can also try to recover the costs from the other driver through small claims court.

The insurance system is different from Korea. It was very helpful to understand! Thank you. I'm a little relieved.

Generally spot on, however there can be other reasons your insurance can’t make a recovery (especially if circumstances are unclear or contested) and it could still end up being counted as a fault claim, hence their “may” affect premiums statement. Hopefully this one is cut and dry but you never know.

OP did you get a report number from the police? Might be useful if they spoke to the driver and he admitted fault.

Annoying situation. Kudos for trying to be nice about it but at the end of the day, guy is an arse, needs to take responsibility for his actions.

You are clearly being very kind to the professor. Most would have told him to take a hike and file a claim with his insurance. If you are well off, and truly think the man is struggling and genuinely apologetic, I say let him off. I also wonder what he said to the bystander seeing as he didn't leave a note. In truth, I personally don't have scrap paper in my car so I wouldn't be able to leave a note either.

If it were me, It would entirely depend on my financial situation. If someone hits my relatively inexpensive $40K model 3, and doesn't leave a note, I can assure you I am pursuing them and their insurance! 🤣

Reactions: Vawlkus
Since you already have the person’s info, why not just let your insurance company deal with it. They‘ve gone from appearing to be cooperative to being a wanker, forcing you to go into your wallet to “help“ them out. I don’t think you need to “take it on the chin”, so to speak. Don’t be so nice. They clearly had no intention of getting caught. That’s what insurances are for.

Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Last edited:
If he had left a note apologizing and contact information, I might not have proceeded further. I feel like I'm the perpetrator, even if I'm the victim. I'm a university student studying abroad in Canada, and he's a professor at my university -different faculty-. This situation is making it harder for me. I just want the scratches on my car to be invisible, and I feel like it's unreasonable that I have to pay for repairing.

The dude is a university professor?

Clearly he's grossing at least 100k annually. OP please take him to the cleaners.

If you didn't catch him on sentry clearly he would have absolutely zero remorse. He's only sorry because he was caught.

I would like to echo what has already been recommended--let the insurance companies deal with the entire matter. You are paying premiums and this is a service provided under your policy. Further, understand that the initial estimate provided by the repair center is just that, an estimate. Once they get into the repair, they often discover further damage and the cost escalates--often by alarming amounts. The insurance company can deal with this. Discontinue all direct contact between you and the other party. Under no circumstances settle with the other party for the stated amount. If they a turn out to be a deadbeat, you may see nothing. If the cost of repair escalates, it will come out of your pocket. The system is far from perfect and the not at fault individual must still spend time and other resources pursuing a claim, but the inconvenience can be mitigated by using the resouces provided by your insurance company. 행운을 빕니다.

여기 슬픈 결말이 있어. 이 사건 이후, 나는 테슬라 센터에 갔고, 그들은 내가 범퍼 교체를 받아야 한다고 말했지만, 내 보험사는 그것을 승인하지 않을 것이다. 물론, 나는 이 작은 손상과 같은 범퍼 교체도 받고 싶지 않다.
그래서 나는 테슬라가 추천한 오토바디 샵에 갔지만, 이번에는 정비공의 요금이 내 보험 회사에서 내 보험사가 승인한 요금과 다르며, 그들이 나에게 차액을 청구할 것이라고 들었다.
맙소사.
내가 원했던 건 사고 전에 내 차의 상태를 되찾는 것뿐이었어. 그리고 지금은 고치지 않고 그냥 운전할까 생각 중이야.
결국, 가해자는 그의 행동에 대해 책임을 지지 않을 것이고, 내 차는 수리되지 않을 것이며, 내 보험사는 비용을 지불할 필요가 없을 것이다. 브라보! 나는 이 노바스코티아의 보험 정책이 정말 싫어.
스크린샷 2023-05-18 오전 11.50.51.png

여기 슬픈 결말이 있어. 이 사건 이후, 나는 테슬라 센터에 갔고, 그들은 내가 범퍼 교체를 받아야 한다고 말했지만, 내 보험사는 그것을 승인하지 않을 것이다. 물론, 나는 이 작은 손상과 같은 범퍼 교체도 받고 싶지 않다.
그래서 나는 테슬라가 추천한 오토바디 샵에 갔지만, 이번에는 정비공의 요금이 내 보험 회사에서 내 보험사가 승인한 요금과 다르며, 그들이 나에게 차액을 청구할 것이라고 들었다.
맙소사.
내가 원했던 건 사고 전에 내 차의 상태를 되찾는 것뿐이었어. 그리고 지금은 고치지 않고 그냥 운전할까 생각 중이야.
결국, 가해자는 그의 행동에 대해 책임을 지지 않을 것이고, 내 차는 수리되지 않을 것이며, 내 보험사는 비용을 지불할 필요가 없을 것이다. 브라보! 나는 이 노바스코티아의 보험 정책이 정말 싫어.View attachment 938851
I can’t read the Korean but the pricing things isn’t unusual - the way insurance companies try to keep costs low and quality high is by having approved repairers that they negotiate rates with. This Tesla SC obviously isn’t on that list. I’d probably just go with whoever the insurance company recommends, they still need to do acceptable work and won’t want to lose their preferential status with the company.