Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just got big-timed by a fellow Tesla. 85s can't hang with P85Ds apparently...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I try to wave every single time. But Teslas are few and far between here so it's doable. Most people predominantly wave back. The "Flash the hazards" when passing on the freeway is also quite popular. And of course "Club Supercharger" is always good for a car-chat.

Coincidentally, I traded waves/nods with another Model S driver for the first time today. Hunting in a parking lot for a space wide enough for my 85D, when I saw a red P85 backing out of a parking spot. I figured if it was big enough for one Model S, it'd be good enough for another, so I drove over to wait for it. When the driver finished backing out, I gave her a wave and she returned with a smile and a "Tesla nod". It only took three months for that experience, but hey I live in the SF Bay Area, so whaddya expect.

There are just so many Model S's in the Bay Area (especially mid-peninsula), that it's not possible to wave/greet every single one you encounter on your way to the supermarket. We visit Southern California and LA area several times per year, and the contrast is very stark. Tesla vehicles are soooooo rare there compared to the Bay Area. I really can't imagine how rare they are in other parts of California, or outside of the state.

Corvette owners have faced this situation for decades. Often it's a first time owner not familiar with the tradition and now today folks are reluctant at waving for fear of it being mistaken, or the sex of the other driver. As a male I'm uncomfortable waving at a female driver of another Corvette for fear of it being misinterpreted.

I have never seen a Tesla in the wild here in Iowa.
Maybe it's because I live on the poor side of town, will look hard the next time I go to the "new mall". ;-)
When I do see one, the driver will wonder WTF is wrong with that lady, waving & honking & going woo!

I used to own a MazdaSpeed6, there were only 10k of them produced, so when I'd see another one we'd always wave at each other.

With Tesla's I think there are just too many of them now. I see a bunch in my area, I try to acknowledge/wave at the owners, some acknowledge my existence, some ignore.

Here in So Cal the number of Tesla's I encounter in the last 2 years of ownership while driving in the neighborhood has steadily increased from 1 to 2 or 3 a day. So it's a sad fact that the waves and light flashes are getting fewer responses.

However a positive trend I have noticed recently is that the original 'what kind of car is this' questions from 2 years ago are being replaced with specific questions about the range and charging times.

My wife is encountering such questions about the car while at the bakery, market, and even outside of restaurants by strangers, and surprisingly by quite a few women!

And last week, while driving up the hill to the house, some neighborhood kids playing on their front lawn stopped and turned around, pointed and gave us thumbs up as we drove by.

The car is now seeping into public consciousness and being recognized as a Tesla. Bodes well for the market demand for the Model X and of course the Model 3!

I actually tend to avoid making eye contact with people beside me when I'm driving (for example when at a light), because:
1) I don't want to unintentionally solicit a drag race by looking over (sadly, that's often all it takes), and
2) Since I'm in a "fancy" car I don't want to make it look like I'm seeking attention (I know this one sounds wierd).
3) In some parts this might be dangerous to your health (gunfire, etc.).

The 3rd one I try not to think about these days, but sometimes I do.

And this is why I don't tell anyone that I have one.

yea many people think i'm rich and snobby or something, but really I was just tired of paying $700/month in gas. I looked at all hybrids and evs and the only one that suited my high mileage driving patterns was a Tesla. I just waited for the first half dozen or so reviews in June 2012 before I ordered to make sure I wasn't buying a lemon (I had lemoned my previous car, bad hasty decision! didnt want to repeat that). thought admittedly when I was going to first purchase it was going to be an S40 but somehow I talked myself up to a loaded P85. whoops. "it's just $10k more". and I said that 3 more times. i also asked for forgiveness after I bought it from the wifey instead of for permission before I bought it haha

My vote is for a close-knit community. I'm going to keep waving and acknowledging other Tesla owners and be very supportive with people interested in the car even if they are punks. I was at Disneyland over the weekend and the parking attendant complemented me on the car; I was very gracious. After charging for about 7 hours (3.3kw) I re-parked to allow other EVs to use the spot (and they did instantly). I think there's enough room in the world for all of us!

Of course no one would ever, ever wave to a boxster owner.

What's up with that?

I have an antique sports car (1952 MGTD) and I was out driving it one day recently on some rural rodes. A Boxter hardtop with paper plates comes up behind me, pulls around and then proceeds to cut in front of me like I am a nuisance. A real jerk.

A few minutes later a rag top Ferrari goes by and just about falls out of the car waving. And then a little later a Miata with the thumbs up. And not to mention the + reaction of many regular drivers (at least the ones that can figure out it its actually a car).

But don't get me started about what happens on the Freeways. Everybody in Calif on a Freeway is booking it. And if you are not going 75+ you are a danger or are looking to taken out. Its pretty stressful to drive an old car that can only safely be driven at 60 mph in this situation. Talk about defensive driving.

For me personally the only time I've ever owned a car and I felt like waving was when I had a Porsche Cayman S. It was unique and special enough to warrant a wave to a fellow owner. It was so respected that I'd get an occasional wave from a 911 driver. Of course no one would ever, ever wave to a boxster owner.
I exchanged waves/headlight flashes with other Porsche's when I had my Boxster. Never ran into much "holier than thou" from the 911 drivers. I still wave at other Porsches (including Boxsters) after upgrading to "The Beast" (996 GT3). Practically speaking, it's hard to differentiate a 986/996 or 987/997 from a distance, anyway.

Cayenne and Panamera drivers are the really unfriendly ones... I don't think they got the memo on Porsche traditions.

Besides, don't let that Cayman go to your head. It is just a hardtop Boxster, after all. :tongue:

I think I confused the heck out of a Model S driver once. I was in my pickup. I waved, pointed at the car, and gave a big thumbs up. I got a feeble, confused wave back.