Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Brought Two Model 3's to VIR - New PB of 2:08.49!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread makes me want to go back to the track. I did an HPDE at VIR in my e36 M3 back in 2006. Thanks for the videos and details OP. Pretty encouraging to see how the red P3D performed with MPP comforts and upgraded pads. Do you think the master cylinder brace would help brake feel on your wife's car?

I think it would help with initial feel, but it would not prevent pad fade so you would still end up with a squishy and mushy brake pedal from boiled fluid and overheated pads.

So would you suggest the comforts for a agressively driven p3d street car that might see one or 1 track day a year ?

I would definitely suggest the Sports. FWIW, I never intended to take the Red 3 with the Comfort's to the track. It just kind of happened lol. If you are planning to go to the track though, Sports are the way to go.

Looks like you're the guy to ask this; can't seem to get feedback on it elsewhere.

Did you notice and downforce/handling differences on the front end with the UPP lip at high speeds?

It's definitely not going to be something you're really going to be able to notice. We're talking about a pretty minimal change. There is a change, but can you as the driver in a 4,000lb car feel it - no.

Agreed, the MC Brace will help with the overall feel, but faded or boiled brakes are just that - faded or boiled!

We noticed a significant difference using this very aggressive lip Carbon Fiber Front Spoiler For Tesla Model 3 - Maier Electric Vehicles

Model-3-On-Slicks.jpg

The car became a bit loose at speed, so we did end up balancing it out with another Maier prototype 7" spoiler with a gurney flap attached. It is high-drag but effective.

Tesla-Corsa-Trophies-1080x675.jpg

Shameless, I know.

Is the chademo working at VIR now?

Plugshare shows recent successful charging.
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

And does anyone have experience using track mode with Chademo? I found that charging using the UMC on a 14-50 outlet at NCCAR (208V) was only able to cool down the battery and add just a few miles between runs. So, it didn't provide any appreciable range increase, I think. I got in about 60 miles on the track with a fully charged P3D and pulled off with 9 miles of range left! I had to wait in the parking lot for over an hour to get enough range to get to the supercharger... :)

I'd guess with Chademo you could add some pretty good range with 30 min of charging between sessions. Just hope there isn't another EV at VIR that day, since it looks like there's only one charger.

Chademo is about 50kw. Sc above 70% is only 60-75kw anyway. If the distance is shorter, I would skip over the Sc and take the Chademo. I just made that decision for my current session, unfortunately it backfired as the sc are pretty full and it is only charging at 59kw. Charging is still a bumper at this point

Is the chademo working at VIR now?

Plugshare shows recent successful charging.
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

And does anyone have experience using track mode with Chademo? I found that charging using the UMC on a 14-50 outlet at NCCAR (208V) was only able to cool down the battery and add just a few miles between runs. So, it didn't provide any appreciable range increase, I think. I got in about 60 miles on the track with a fully charged P3D and pulled off with 9 miles of range left! I had to wait in the parking lot for over an hour to get enough range to get to the supercharger... :)

I'd guess with Chademo you could add some pretty good range with 30 min of charging between sessions. Just hope there isn't another EV at VIR that day, since it looks like there's only one charger.

Last I checked in March the CCS was working but the Chademo was not. UMC is slow, but it works with two cars swapping each out every other session lol.

Chademo is about 50kw. Sc above 70% is only 60-75kw anyway. If the distance is shorter, I would skip over the Sc and take the Chademo. I just made that decision for my current session, unfortunately it backfired as the sc are pretty full and it is only charging at 59kw. Charging is still a bumper at this point

V2 Supercharging is the real issue. I wish Tesla would replace all the V2's with V3's. The V3's are faster, much more reliable, and you don't have to split power when they get busy.

The charging situation is still super annoying, hopefully we will get something in the near future at every track. Now we have cars that can start performing, we need to bring the charging up and then make the cooling even better to make them last

That is very true. I will say a supercharger within 15 minutes is doable. I did that at Lime Rock and Dominion and it worked well at both. Lime Rock has a V3 though which was so much better.

I think we will have some cooling solutions in the near future ;)

Last I checked in March the CCS was working but the Chademo was not. UMC is slow, but it works with two cars swapping each out every other session lol.

Ah, didn't realize it was the Chademo connector that was broken, while CCS is working. Let's hope for a CCS adapter soon.

It looks like there are plenty of 14-50 RV spots available at VIR, have you used them?

There were at lot of them at NCCAR, and they were free, at least on our track day.

Ah, didn't realize it was the Chademo connector that was broken, while CCS is working. Let's hope for a CCS adapter soon.

It looks like there are plenty of 14-50 RV spots available at VIR, have you used them?

There were at lot of them at NCCAR, and they were free, at least on our track day.

Yeah there is a ton of 14-50 outlets which is what I have been using. It's $30 for the weekend.

That is very true. I will say a supercharger within 15 minutes is doable. I did that at Lime Rock and Dominion and it worked well at both. Lime Rock has a V3 though which was so much better.

I think we will have some cooling solutions in the near future ;)

There are 3 within 15 miles from Laguna Seca, but it can still be tight with time. Still, the crowd at these SC can get annoying. Sunday afternoon are the worst

Last edited: