Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I bought a 6 digit car...not a video game.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I'm right he may not even be capable of being happy, but I hope you're right and he sells his car before Tesla reduces its resale with an OTA downgrade. We'll all be better off with fewer people here that show actual enthusiasm at being diagnosed with sociopathic traits, and while I said that tongue-in-cheek scoldingly in the hopes of triggering a normal human response to the plight of one's peers his immediate mention of the psych ward actually made me wonder if I had triggered some memories in that regard. If so, he's going to get defensive which is always snippiness so let's just leave it be.

Editing... Unfortunately I was right about him lashing out, he's degraded to substance-less attempts to start a fight. Oh good he saw this edit, laughed nervously at it and deleted his attacks, making it just a bland off topic deflection which isn't so bad.

I've noticed his idiotic remarks in other threads. Completely juvenile.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
I personally cut Tesla an enormous amount of slack. Are my MX wing doors a bit balky? Does my browser need to be reset with a soft boot pretty often? Did I think my AP would work a lot better by now? Yes, yes, and yes. But Tesla is succeeding at a world-changing mission by showing the major luxury auto companies that they can be disrupted with products that challenge all past assumptions, and at the same time, showing the car-buying public that EVs are workable and can be more than golf carts with slightly better range and speed (Exhibit A -- my daughter's Leaf). They are threading a needle as they build out the Gigafactory(ies) and launch numerous new products for markets waiting for these products (pickup, semi, Model Y), all at the same time as being attacked mercilessly by pack of short sellers and unfriendly media that no other company faces. Well, maybe Exxon, Monsanto, Pfizer and Wells Fargo have some of those problems...but c'mon, those are "enemies of the people" to a great number of people, and Tesla should be a hero by those standards, not a goat.

THIS IS AN UNUSUAL SITUATION, and while I support consumers who have rights under contract to warranty fixes, I don't support whining at Tesla's choices as they bear up under this environment, deciding what improvements to make on delivered vehicles.

You have a car that GETS BETTER OVER TIME, something that has never been seen under the sun in our lifetimes. I think we all need to remember all this context before we decide what to get our noses out of joint about.

49f7469e2062e9febf8693e04b318e9d
tho

I too like to know how old those who say they don't care for those games are.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16
True. The rain sensor removal wasn’t a great idea. I don’t use the auto wipers. I don’t like random wipes and it changing different frequencies all the time. I just use the normal delay option.
What "normal delay" option? So far as I can tell on my 2015 Tesla Model S, the intermittent modes are rain sensing. The steady speed wipers can be activated, but not a "delay" function.
Is it different on your car?
Or am I misunderstanding you?

What "normal delay" option? So far as I can tell on my 2015 Tesla Model S, the intermittent modes are rain sensing. The steady speed wipers can be activated, but not a "delay" function.
On AP2+ cars you can enable or disable the auto wiper function in controls. If disabled, the first two clicks on the stalk are normal intermittent settings, followed by low and high.

If enabled, the first two are supposedly different sensitivity settings for the auto wipers (in practice they are indistinguishable and erratic).

On my 2017 MS HW 2.0, if I turn off the “auto-wipers beta” in the control panel/vehicle (last option), it reverts back to using “intermittent”. I have two intermittent speeds displayed as 3 dots on the stall and then also four dots. Then also shows constant on low (single line) and constant on hi (double line). The slowest is still a bit too fast for my tastes but if it truly is a very light mist, I just leave the wipers turned off all the way and just push the side button once in a while. But typically the slow intermittent settings works well for me.

When auto wipers is turned on, the 3 dots represent low sensitivity and the 4 represent high I believe. I’d have to refer to the user manual to double check that. But intermittent low, high and constant low are what I use.

(Just realized that ucmndd replied as well. So....what he said.)

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and ucmndd
Tesla is downgrading Long Range cars to Standard Range with software updates. They're downgrading Performance by removing Performance with software updates. These are not "truly minor" it by far the single biggest regression of any car ever. They're stealing $35700 worth of paid upgrades using OTAs and not even telling owners that it will happen in the patch notes. I don't know why you want to hide these problems but they're substantial criminal issues perpetrated entirely through software downgrades masquerading as OTA updates. The latest versions of V9 released TODAY are the cause of these problems. The farther back you go the more features Tesla had, but updates pushed this instant are downgrading people so much they're removing the value of an entire car with these new updates.

If this was really happening there would be large 100+ page forum threads on it.

Just like every time Tesla ever removes anything with a SW upgrade.

Heck Tesla removed the ability to put the rear view camera above the maps, and people were up in arms about that. God they were pissed. Tesla eventually restored that capability after all the backlash.
There was also that time that Tesla added nags for AP, and people were pissed off about that. Tesla couldn't do much about that one as they were between a rock (the NHTSA) and a hard place. The customers lost that battle.

Having SW updates is a double edged sword as you can get features/changes that you want, but you can also have things removed.Or someone screws with the UI which really drives some people nuts. I didn't particular likely the change to the flat UI. I hate flat UI's.

Your case though sounds like a one off case due to incompetency (like someone screwed up) or an update broke some functionality unintentionally. That happens from time to time, and hopefully it will get straightened out soon.

Edit - There is the 100+ page thread that might be part of what you're talking about, but so far it looks like it's simply a bug in the BMS code.

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: CarlK and Droschke
On AP2+ cars you can enable or disable the auto wiper function in controls. If disabled, the first two clicks on the stalk are normal intermittent settings, followed by low and high.

If enabled, the first two are supposedly different sensitivity settings for the auto wipers (in practice they are indistinguishable and erratic).
Glad they gave that to us MCU1 owners. That's all I've been asking for if they can't get the actual rain sensing portion to function properly. I've said that since day 1 if they can't get the sensing to work just make the two sensing modes intermittent instead and I'd be plenty happy with two intermittent options we can customize in the menu. Hell, static intermittent would even be acceptable for now until they figure out the more complex code of giving us the control over what the speeds of the 2 are. I know that in other vehicles I've owned I've used only 1 or 2 intermittent settings anyway whenever I wasn't on low or high so that would be just fine.

Instead, just a dumpster fire for rain sensing options. Good thing not being able to see out of your windshield in a rainstorm isn't a safety issue or I bet Tesla would be all over fixing it since they advertise how safe their cars are.

I guess we have our reason that we're left out in the rain (see what I did there?) because the MCU2 people aren't complaining since they have a viable solution to their windshield wiper problems.

• Helpful
Reactions: Azathoth
Glad they gave that to us MCU1 owners. That's all I've been asking for if they can't get the actual rain sensing portion to function properly. I've said that since day 1 if they can't get the sensing to work just make the two sensing modes intermittent instead and I'd be plenty happy with two intermittent options we can customize in the menu. Hell, static intermittent would even be acceptable for now until they figure out the more complex code of giving us the control over what the speeds of the 2 are. I know that in other vehicles I've owned I've used only 1 or 2 intermittent settings anyway whenever I wasn't on low or high so that would be just fine.

Instead, just a dumpster fire for rain sensing options. Good thing not being able to see out of your windshield in a rainstorm isn't a safety issue or I bet Tesla would be all over fixing it since they advertise how safe their cars are.

I guess we have our reason that we're left out in the rain (see what I did there?) because the MCU2 people aren't complaining since they have a viable solution to their windshield wiper problems.

I’m fairly certain the MCU has absolutely nothing to do with the wipers. On AP2+ cars the sensing algorithm uses the forward facing cameras and a neural net that runs on the autopilot computer.

MCU is not a factor.

FWIW, the AP2+ auto wipers have always had an on/off setting in the controls.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS

When there are auto wipes there are people complaining.

I have HW2.5, and I don't think it works good enough yet. It's certainly a lot better than it used to be.

My Sprinter van also has Auto wipers, and I complain about them time to time. They use an actual sensor.

I do wish Tesla would add more manual adjustments. It's a UI thing so I wouldn't think it would be that hard.

It seems that every other recent update has to do with some enhancement to games or other entertainment distractions.

I'd really like Tesla to prioritize updates to vehicle operability...better navigation, autopilot, internet browser, or user interface (how about a trunk release button on the main menu, a favorite phone numbers list, or better stereo usability and configurability?).
well, sell it and buy honda civic.

better navigation? it is already much better than anything else.
autopilot? you think it is 1 day thing to make it perfect?
trunk release? it is in under the settings since 2012?
phone number list? just ask your siri
better stereo usability? it plays music, what else do you need?

stop whining, thank god you have such a car

I’m fairly certain the MCU has absolutely nothing to do with the wipers. On AP2+ cars the sensing algorithm uses the forward facing cameras and a neural net that runs on the autopilot computer.

MCU is not a factor.

FWIW, the AP2+ auto wipers have always had an on/off setting in the controls.
I have no setting to disable rain sensing and have regular intermittent for those two wiper stalk settings and I'm MCU1. He stated specifically that his MCU2 was capable of this adjustment. What other conclusion am I supposed to draw?

My MCU1 facelift S has 5 settings. Off, intermittent 1 and 2, always on 1 and 2 speed. Intermittent 1 and 2 are really auto sense now.

The auto sense sometimes work and sometimes not. I just move the setting.

Not a big deal to me. The AP stopping without a cause, now I have problem with that!

Are different time frame made cars have different outcome than what I have?

I have no setting to disable rain sensing and have regular intermittent for those two wiper stalk settings and I'm MCU1. He stated specifically that his MCU2 was capable of this adjustment. What other conclusion am I supposed to draw?

I’m not sure what conclusion you’re supposed to draw, nor am I sure who “he” is, but you’re confused.

What is the build month/year of your car?

Edit: Sorry, just looked at your sig. Both of your cars are AP1. That’s the differentiator - not the MCU.