Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I bought a 6 digit car...not a video game.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is downgrading Long Range cars to Standard Range with software updates. They're downgrading Performance by removing Performance with software updates. These are not "truly minor" it by far the single biggest regression of any car ever. They're stealing $35700 worth of paid upgrades using OTAs and not even telling owners that it will happen in the patch notes. I don't know why you want to hide these problems but they're substantial criminal issues perpetrated entirely through software downgrades masquerading as OTA updates. The latest versions of V9 released TODAY are the cause of these problems. The farther back you go the more features Tesla had, but updates pushed this instant are downgrading people so much they're removing the value of an entire car with these new updates.

They have reduced some things like charging rates for some people based on findings of issues. If you want to still have your car run like the old method, then perhaps you would be okay with signing a waiver so they couldn’t make those changes to your car. Of course the moment something goes wrong, you would be front page news.

It isn’t a matter of “hiding” anything. But some on here are major drama queens. A reduction of over 35k from OTA updates? That’s a new one. If they truly are reducing performance to the major degree you think, then perhaps they should give some money back.

If these changes are based on safety, so be it. Even with these supposed “degradations”, probably if they blindfolded people here and had them ride in two different vehicles (one with and one without the “patch”), they wouldn’t even notice a difference. I don’t understand the range hawks either. I never got rated range in a gas car. Your driving style makes a huge difference.

Sell the car. Buy something else. Move on. Maybe you will be happier with an etron or ipace as some others state.

They have reduced some things like charging rates for some people based on findings of issues. If you want to still have your car run like the old method, then perhaps you would be okay with signing a waiver so they couldn’t make those changes to your car. Of course the moment something goes wrong, you would be front page news.

It isn’t a matter of “hiding” anything. But some on here are major drama queens. A reduction of over 35k from OTA updates? That’s a new one. If they truly are reducing performance to the major degree you think, then perhaps they should give some money back.

If these changes are based on safety, so be it. Even with these supposed “degradations”, probably if they blindfolded people here and had them ride in two different vehicles (one with and one without the “patch”), they wouldn’t even notice a difference. I don’t understand the range hawks either. I never got rated range in a gas car. Your driving style makes a huge difference.

Sell the car. Buy something else. Move on. Maybe you will be happier with an etron or ipace as some others state.

You have no idea what you are talking about and what @Chaserr is impacted by.

"Sell the car"? The car which has been deeply devalued by a software update to reduce its kWh capacity, range and power?

You have no idea what's going on with the capacity cap issue when you say:

"Even with these supposed “degradations”, probably if they blindfolded people here and had them ride in two different vehicles (one with and one without the “patch”), they wouldn’t even notice a difference. I don’t understand the range hawks either. I never got rated range in a gas car. Your driving style makes a huge difference."

• Disagree
  • Love
Reactions: Chaserr and SO16
I haven’t experienced the extremely slow maps crashing the browser (since I don’t use the browser.). It did install the large map update recently and I read some horror stories on here where it wouldn’t install and cause major slow downs. I thought about disabling my WiFi before it finished the download but I decided to let it go. I didn’t have to use the vehicle the next day after install. But the following day, I held my breath and everything seemed okay. Maybe they retracted it? I have MCU 1 and it isn’t super instantaneous. But certainly quick enough. (Under a half second when flipping screens.)

The music just ties into my phone and plays my playlist or I use streaming. Do I wish the radio didn’t turn on after a phone call? Sure.

I did like the camera up top and maps down below. But is it enough to keep me up at night? Hardly.

I do agree they should focus on bugs and real enhancements as well. And I do wish they would fix the “dancing cars” too. But I’m not going to lay down and die if they also have a person working on putting in other goofy things.
I get that you don't use the browser but that doesn't mean others wouldn't find it useful... if it worked.

As for music, I'm talking about the streaming piece and not the Bluetooth that allows you to stream from your mobile device. I tend to use my mobile phone (Pixel 3 XL using Play Music playlists) mostly too but the times that I want to stream directly the music streaming via built-in Slacker is messed up big time.

You're missing what I'm saying about the back-up camera; there are times that the camera image itself will split in half across the middle with the bottom half displayed above the top half. If you haven't yet seen it consider yourself lucky as it's very disorienting and only a reboot will solve the problem. Not always the easiest thing to do.

All of these are known bugs that have persisted through several version of updates. There are other known persistent bugs that affect others more than me which is why I didn't list them here. These are specific bugs that plague items that were present when the car was sold and not something that was promised in the future that are broken.

Don't even get me started on the rain sensing wiper functionality or complete lack thereof.

• Love
Reactions: am_dmd and Droschke
You're missing what I'm saying about the back-up camera; there are times that the camera image itself will split in half across the middle with the bottom half displayed above the top half. If you haven't yet seen it consider yourself lucky as it's very disorienting and only a reboot will solve the problem. Not always the easiest thing to do.

Wow. I have never seen that. One time I did have the issue of the lines turning the wrong way when I turned the steering wheel after a software update. A reboot fixed that.

You have no idea what you are talking about and what @Chaserr is impacted by.

"Sell the car"? The car which has been deeply devalued by a software update to reduce its kWh capacity, range and power?

You have no idea what's going on with the capacity cap issue when you say:

"Even with these supposed “degradations”, probably if they blindfolded people here and had them ride in two different vehicles (one with and one without the “patch”), they wouldn’t even notice a difference. I don’t understand the range hawks either. I never got rated range in a gas car. Your driving style makes a huge difference."

@SO16, disagree as you wish, and don't let the facts distract you.

I bought a Performance long range P85 Tesla. Tesla reduced it to non-Performance 63kwh capacity with an OTA. Others paid even more for Ludicrous cars that lost even more performance when they were downgraded to 60kwh cars.

Your insulting lack of empathy for other human beings is actually somewhat reassuring, because if every car was downgraded like the ones that you're in denial of Tesla would rapidly go out of business and we'd have no hope to restore what has been stolen from us if Tesla ceases to exist.

As you are now so once was I. As I am now so shall you be, Prepare yourself to follow me.

Your lack of empathy is insulting of course, but also somewhat good because if every car was downgraded like the ones that you're in denial of, Tesla would rapidly go out of business and we have no hope to restore what has been stolen from us if Tesla ceases to exist.

No worries. He will use his own medicine. He will sell the car, buy something else, move on and maybe he will be happier with an etron or ipace as some others state ;)

Reactions: Chaserr
Your insulting lack of empathy for other human beings is actually somewhat reassuring, because if every car was downgraded like the ones that you're in denial of Tesla would rapidly go out of business and we'd have no hope to restore what has been stolen from us if Tesla ceases to exist.

Glad I could help!!!!!

Do you have o change the type of badging or name plate of your car? No. It’s still a P85. Tesla “could” even revert it back after they determine a better solution.

Get a class action suit going. You seem adamant enough that tesla is stealing from you and others.

Well... my 10 minutes of edit time for the original post ran out before I was about to add that the games could be useful for killing time while waiting for the car to juice up at a SuperCharger. Of course, others in the car would be on their own.

Based on that logic allow sketchpad to text or email finished art so we can keep it or do work notes, etc.

No worries. He will use his own medicine. He will sell the car, buy something else, move on and maybe he will be happier with an etron or ipace as some others state ;)

If I'm right he may not even be capable of being happy, but I hope you're right and he sells his car before Tesla reduces its resale with an OTA downgrade. We'll all be better off with fewer people here that show actual enthusiasm at being diagnosed with sociopathic traits, and while I said that tongue-in-cheek scoldingly in the hopes of triggering a normal human response to the plight of one's peers his immediate mention of the psych ward actually made me wonder if I had triggered some memories in that regard. If so, he's going to get defensive which is always snippiness so let's just leave it be.

Editing... Unfortunately I was right about him lashing out, he's degraded to substance-less attempts to start a fight. Oh good he saw this edit, laughed nervously at it and deleted his attacks, making it just a bland off topic deflection which isn't so bad.

Last edited:
Over in the main thread one of Tesla's CS reps slipped up and actually called them their "allowed talking points" or something like that which is why they repeat each other - they have a printed list of things they can say and they can't go off script. Tesla's legal team is in damage control mode over this one.

If I'm right he may not even be capable of being happy, but I hope you're right and he sells his car before Tesla reduces its resale with an OTA downgrade. We'll all be better off with fewer people here that show actual enthusiasm at being diagnosed with sociopathic traits, and while I said that tongue-in-cheek scoldingly in the hopes of triggering a normal human response to the plight of one's peers his immediate mention of the psych ward actually made me wonder if I had triggered some memories in that regard. If so, he's going to get defensive which is always snippiness so let's just leave it be.

Whatever makes you feel better.

Gotta say, you are creative. Completely wrong...but creative. Kudos