Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am frankly shocked by how stunningly ugly the Cybertruck is

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First four wheel truck/car I have got the wave from the motorcycle crowd. Very often now. A few I know also have reservations.

@terranx when did looks have anything to do with a recall? You might be that guy sitting in the plaid the other day fake reading the paper at the supercharger as 12 people crowded the truck taking pics. I let the mob take the truck as I laughed at the fake reader of the paper. So ugly you have to comment on it.

Let's stay on topic. How ugly it is.

Edit add. See I look at the right and see ugly, not well thought out and style changes of less than 1% per year since 1935. Capability and efficiency little lately.

View attachment 1046628

Own both ^ :p
Both kinda ugly. CyberTruck looks like the future. Surburban looks like the past.

Not a hater, but..
I think it would look better as a CyberVan.
The front has a nice aesthetic going on - modern, futuristic, big glass. That appeal starts to fall apart when you look past the front passenger doors and glance by the truck bed. It's like they started at the front, got half way through and ran out of design ideas.

They can kill two birds with one stone - get rid of the tonneau, box out the back to make the cargo area truly functional, and it'll look better too!

Large legacy ICE trucks have their own share of ugly. Usually it is only their owners that find them beautiful. Example is an F-350 dually, lifted, huge mud tires, bolt on light racks, bed with 5th wheel gear, front winch, bull balls hanging from rear hitch, gun rack, flags waving, huge exhaust belching black diesel fumes, side steps, cargo net mesh tailgate. Noisey and rumbling as it goes clumbsy down the road. Won't fit in the garage, parking lot, or barely in it's lane. The thing will ride and handle poorly, limited top speed and poor braking capability...yet the owner will think he looks cool.

You mean everything the Cybertruck is trying to be except it’s driven by techies?

Best part of the Cybertruck is the front end, the. It just looks hideous ……. Let’s not even talk about the back

Reactions: fholbert
You mean everything the Cybertruck is trying to be except it’s driven by techies?

Best part of the Cybertruck is the front end, the. It just looks hideous ……. Let’s not even talk about the back
Yet it clearly has your attention with Hundreds of posts dedicated to it. You know you want one, or you just have to much time on your hands.

Yet it clearly has your attention with Hundreds of posts dedicated to it. You know you want one, or you just have to much time on your hands.

I would want one if it offered more than my Lightning, but it doesn't. My post dedicated to it are for the lack of improvement over current offerings. Tesla decided the standard was good enough.

Notice this is my first post on the Cybertruck in weeks, I see it everyday and it's run of the mill now. The front end is still the best part of the design.

The CT front end seems like it would have great visibility, but I've read that it doesn't. I do sort of still dig the look of the frunk.

Anyways, the Silverado EV is easily the best EV truck going and the RAM EV with a range extender will make EV trucks all but redundant/ useless.

I mean why spend $100K on an EV truck with such limits when a cheaper (because much smaller battery pack) PHEV provides all of the EV benefits, with none of the downsides?

The CT front end seems like it would have great visibility, but I've read that it doesn't. I do sort of still dig the look of the frunk.

Anyways, the Silverado EV is easily the best EV truck going and the RAM EV with a range extender will make EV trucks all but redundant/ useless.

I mean why spend $100K on an EV truck with such limits when a cheaper (because much smaller battery pack) PHEV provides all of the EV benefits, with none of the downsides?

Because the Cybertruck has no downside for me. 99% of my driving is much less than the battery capacity and having owned various Tesla’s since 2014, I don’t have any problem using Superchargers on trips.

Carrying around a gas tank and the engine that needs maintenance is wasted space and potentially expensive unneccessary repairs.

Your argument is as senseless as trying to convince every EV sedan buyer to buy a PHEV.

We know what’s practical for our individual needs. If it doesn’t suit yours then fine….buy whatever you want but the condescending bullshit is just ridiculous from the Cybertruck haters.

I come from a GM only family going back 75 years. I've had 7 (cars & trucks) myself, and usually keep them a long time.
One of my earliest memories is my grandfather's (orangish) red 1964 . . . he called it a CarryAll. . . with only two doors.
I certainly don't "hate" the latest generation of GM trucks, but to me, the cart and the horse have been switched.

@outdoors "10th genreation" (2007-2014) rig above isn't bad at all, and looks to be function driving form.
Starting in 2015 that equation seems to me to have flipped. Maybe its a fad. ( fins!? 😀 )

When my cybertruck number comes up, I will replace my 2015 GMC that I've never gotten used to.
I think my dad and grandfather would have loved it.
Siblings think I'm nuts.

Saw one for the first time (from a distance). I think it looks cool. I would buy one if I had enough money to buy things that I don’t really need.
Someone described it as a rolling tent. Reminds me of these old things:
1715699128267.png

Reactions: fholbert
I was shocked at the Cybertruck when it was unveiled, but it grew on me over time. I think the Cybertruck is interestingly different, and the technology overrides the looks for me. (Unlike most people?) I prefer owning vehicles that don't look just like every other vehicle on road, but it still has to look decent to me. I once owned a Honda Element, another vehicle with a love-hate following. YMMV

Reactions: MitchMitch
I got to drive my neighbor's Foundation edition two days ago and OMFG, I love love love the looks and the feel. With the steering by wire and rear wheel turning drives like a small sedan. Looks small in photos but huge in real life, weirdest optical illusion. That stainless steel is gorgeous. Aerodynamics with toneeau over should be very good.

Because the Cybertruck has no downside for me. 99% of my driving is much less than the battery capacity and having owned various Tesla’s since 2014, I don’t have any problem using Superchargers on trips.

Carrying around a gas tank and the engine that needs maintenance is wasted space and potentially expensive unneccessary repairs.

Your argument is as senseless as trying to convince every EV sedan buyer to buy a PHEV.

We know what’s practical for our individual needs. If it doesn’t suit yours then fine….buy whatever you want but the condescending bullshit is just ridiculous from the Cybertruck haters.

The reason that used full size pickup trucks have insanely high resale value even well past 100K & even 200K miles, is that there is a high demand to purchase them in the trades. These are mostly working men, often immigrants, that are not going to have a housing situation that allows for nightly home charging. Many pull trailers, have racks of ladders, and full crews that reduce economy notably. We already know that commercial fast charging is expensive and inconvenient, so that's out.

Lifetime operating costs, in large part dictated by resale value, is going to destroy any semblance of 'value' with EV trucks. Any miniscule fuel savings is first eaten entirely up by the extra $35K you spent buying it with the double whammy of the poor resale of EVs.

This argument: "Carrying around a gas tank and the engine that needs maintenance is wasted space and potentially expensive unnecessary repairs." is positively silly.

You could easily have a 100K mile PHEV vehicle that has less than 20K miles of use on the ICE, and all of that would likely be highway miles. Modern ICE vehicles are already insanely efficiency and reliable, statistically more so than EVs. So, what is all of this gas use and maintenance you talk about? How much maintenance do you think a Corolla, or even an F150 needs in 20K miles? Or even 200K miles? It's next to nothing.

Why don't you mind carrying around a huge, environmentally catastrophic to mine and produce battery pack around when you only use 30% of it at most on an average day?

A right sized Iron based battery pack utilized in a standard hybrid or PHEV makes the most sense for truck & SUV sized vehicles. Two engine options, the PHEV for homeowners and a standard hybrid for non-homeowners.

You have a safer and cheaper to mine battery pack that can be utilized 0-100% everyday with no degradation. This is fine because you have an ICE generator on board so no concerns about running out. No need to drive around with 4x more battery pack than you need every single day.

The battery is smaller, so people won't generally need a Level 2 home charger. After all, even if they don't get it fully charged at times, so what, you have the ICE. It would be a lighter vehicle which is safer for all road users, improves performance and notably reduces wear and tear on our roads and bridges. The vehicle would not be range limited. Everyone in time would have a backup generator at home in the form of their car. People die every single year from losing electricity service and the incidents of this could clearly be reduced. New housing codes should include Car to Home powering plugs.

I think that EV diehards think they are 'saving the planet' but you are not. It's just more consumerism, no different than the guy picking up groceries in his lifted dually on mudder tires. EV's take too many resources to produce, are too fast, are too heavy and don't have the longevity and rebuildable nature of ICE vehicles.

Last edited:
Reactions: OxBrew
The reason that used full size pickup trucks have insanely high resale value even well past 100K & even 200K miles, is that there is a high demand to purchase them in the trades. These are mostly working men, often immigrants, that are not going to have a housing situation that allows for nightly home charging. Many pull trailers, have racks of ladders, and full crews that reduce economy notably. We already know that commercial fast charging is expensive and inconvenient, so that's out.

Lifetime operating costs, in large part dictated by resale value, is going to destroy any semblance of 'value' with EV trucks. Any miniscule fuel savings is first eaten entirely up by the extra $35K you spent buying it with the double whammy of the poor resale of EVs.

This argument: "Carrying around a gas tank and the engine that needs maintenance is wasted space and potentially expensive unnecessary repairs." is positively silly.

You could easily have a 100K mile PHEV vehicle that has less than 20K miles of use on the ICE, and all of that would likely be highway miles. Modern ICE vehicles are already insanely efficiency and reliable, statistically more so than EVs. So, what is all of this gas use and maintenance you talk about? How much maintenance do you think a Corolla, or even an F150 needs in 20K miles? Or even 200K miles? It's next to nothing.

Why don't you mind carrying around a huge, environmentally catastrophic to mine and produce battery pack around when you only use 30% of it at most on an average day?

A right sized Iron based battery pack utilized in a standard hybrid or PHEV makes the most sense for truck & SUV sized vehicles. Two engine options, the PHEV for homeowners and a standard hybrid for non-homeowners.

You have a safer and cheaper to mine battery pack that can be utilized 0-100% everyday with no degradation. This is fine because you have an ICE generator on board so no concerns about running out. No need to drive around with 4x more battery pack than you need every single day.

The battery is smaller, so people won't generally need a Level 2 home charger. After all, even if they don't get it fully charged at times, so what, you have the ICE. It would be a lighter vehicle which is safer for all road users, improves performance and notably reduces wear and tear on our roads and bridges. The vehicle would not be range limited. Everyone in time would have a backup generator at home in the form of their car. People die every single year from losing electricity service and the incidents of this could clearly be reduced. New housing codes should include Car to Home powering plugs.

I think that EV diehards think they are 'saving the planet' but you are not. It's just more consumerism, no different than the guy picking up groceries in his lifted dually on mudder tires. EV's take too many resources to produce, are too fast, are too heavy and don't have the longevity and rebuildable nature of ICE vehicles.
Proudly sponsored by FORD.

• Funny
Reactions: Mercimek
It's relevant because people are claiming it can't be ugly because the thing is selling well. In reality it's selling horribly and the documentation released with regards to the recall proves that.

The recall also proves it's terribly engineered. So it's ugly *and* it's a shitty truck.
Ok gotcha. I am sure you wish you had one. Why don't you go out and buy another S? I am thinking of that.

Ahh a profile limiter. Moved to ignore. See you on the playground throwing sand.

None. Vs the batch of anti Tesla with an agenda and no interest polluting this Tesla interest forum.
So you don't own a single share? Somehow I don't believe you.

This is "Tesla Motors Club". Not "Tesla Fanboys Club". I can and will criticize the company and its leadership when they do stupid things. Which is nearly everything they do these days.