Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW4 but no Phoenix Radar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't get the free supercharging unless you ordered your car on or after April 20.
Design Your Model S  Tesla.jpg

I sort of figured that might end up being the case, but the way they worded it as “take delivery” made me think I had a shot.

I doubt I would use it more than once a year anyways since the car has such excellent range. I’m coming from a car with an EPA rating of just 53 miles.

i'm picking up my model S next week, has anyone made a checklist I can use? Not sure what I should be looking for
I always look for gaps, rubber seals, rim scratches, and general blemishes. Examine closely though, as some imperfections can be wiped away, as it looks like a scratch or ding, but it’s really just adhesive. I just took delivery of an ultra red, and it was surprisingly well built. What color did you get?

Reactions: jrr6415sun
I sort of figured that might end up being the case, but the way they worded it as “take delivery” made me think I had a shot.

I doubt I would use it more than once a year anyways since the car has such excellent range. I’m coming from a car with an EPA rating of just 53 miles.
That’s the old verbiage. They updated it to say order and take delivery now

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 199
Just got the documents to register my car.
My VIN 508xxx and build date is 15/03/23 so it should be equipped with HW4.

Will know it for sure on thursday when I receive my car.

How to check if it's really HW4 or not?

What Tesla will tell you is the configuration, size and reddish tint to the cameras mean HW4.

There is no way to tell directly from the source code anymore, nor from the center screen. I tried on a display car built this month.

I would not be surprised if it takes many months to roll out updates that enable HW4.

Last edited:
For anyone following along, my car did end up having the reddish tint cameras and my VIN was 511xxx. I picked it up yesterday. There is also a small cutout on the front driver side.

The only real problem that stood out to me was the hatchback on the driver side was not flush with the body. I really wanted the car so I accepted and just scheduled a service visit for a future date. I love it so far.

Attachments

• IMG_8883 Copy.jpeg
    IMG_8883 Copy.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 174
Congratulations on the new car! They are tons of fun. The circular cut out is for the tow hook. The other little cutout is a ambient exterior temperature sensor. I haven't seen anywhere that there is a giveaway sign that the radars are there without pulling the sucker apart.

Tesla is actively removing radar units from Model S. As in, when one comes in for service, it’s scheduled to have the radar physically disconnected. So I wouldn’t be concerned about whether there’s a radar unit or not - they’re useless.

Tesla is actively removing radar units from Model S. As in, when one comes in for service, it’s scheduled to have the radar physically disconnected. So I wouldn’t be concerned about whether there’s a radar unit or not - they’re useless.
They are talking about the the front and rear HD radars with hardware 4 apparently shipping with new VINs.

Reactions: Nickos
This is the first I heard of rear radar in Tesla's, do you have a source?

From memory, the catalog leaks only showed a front radar, much like the old cars.
It was on Twitter a while back. There was no visual conformation, the person who posted at length about the new boards mentioned there were 3 extra ports for cameras and a fourth that was labeled RRhw which they inferred may be rear radar based off of a screenshot that had a similar naming convention for the front phoenix radar. No idea what came of it. A search now reveals nothing.
IMG_0123.jpeg

I cant Imagine they would disconnect hw4 radars as the first one on the invoice would make news quickly as it would confirm the presence of a phoenix radar suite.

Someone posted here that they had a HW4 and a radar module being disconnected. Doesn’t have to list any part numbers or anything to be disconnected.

I’m out and about so don’t have the time to find the post at the moment …

Someone posted here that they had a HW4 and a radar module being disconnected. Doesn’t have to list any part numbers or anything to be disconnected.

I’m out and about so don’t have the time to find the post at the moment …
Not sure they could perform a service and not list it on the invoice. especially when everyone else has it on their invoice.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpeg
    IMG_0125.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 129
It was on Twitter a while back. There was no visual conformation, the person who posted at length about the new boards mentioned there were 3 extra ports for cameras and a fourth that was labeled RRhw which they inferred may be rear radar based off of a screenshot that had a similar naming convention for the front phoenix radar. No idea what came of it. A search now reveals nothing. View attachment 938722
green did an extensive review of the connectors and labels on the HW4 board, he never suggested a rear radar, only a front one:
Tesla's new self-driving computer (HW4): more cameras, radar, and more

A google search couldn't find the "RRhw" that you mentioned, so not sure where that reddit poster got it from.

green did an extensive review of the connectors and labels on the HW4 board, he never suggested a rear radar, only a front one:
Tesla's new self-driving computer (HW4): more cameras, radar, and more

A google search couldn't find the "RRhw" that you mentioned, so not sure where that reddit poster got it from.
It was from 2022 I also cannot find it. I remember reading it before i was even looking at a new model, as I has a AP1 vehicle, it wasn’t until i saw ultra red get announced I ordered a new vehicle then suddenly became obssessed with hw4.